Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-23-2004, 06:20 PM   #1
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Do-It-Yourself Helmet Cam

A wonderful idea for those who want to post footage that reveals their riding skills and then face the gauntlet of derision from Sean, Martin, etc. etc......

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-23-2004, 06:43 PM   #2
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

MO Judgemental???? Aww you're such a cynic! -Sean
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 PM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Think of the possibilities here seruzawa. You can rerecord your Sunday rides on fast forward using a second recorder taping at normal speed, and with a few remote control servos form your kids toys you could rig it so the camera tilts waaay over when you are cornering. When Sean sees the scenery whizzing by and your handle bar scraping cornering prowess on the tapes that you submit, he'll wet himself the next time you suggest coming along on a MO group ride.VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 PM   #4
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

What, us?
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Maybe I can use this to convince my family that riding really is a lot safer and more fun then they make it out to be... Now I just need another riding since I definitely won't be convincing... Maybe not.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:14 AM   #6
Hawkster
Founding Member

Nice piece, and right before Christmas, too! I've been thinking about doing something like this. Hmmm, I wonder if I can fax Santa an updated wish list.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
sfarson
Registered Member

Default Helmet Cam & Mounted Cam

I use both approaches to record rides.

The helmetcam has advantages and disadvantages.

+One can pause and look around, giving the viewer a look see at the surroundings. It can work with any bike. It is better for recording in adverse conditions... like rain or serious cold. It is also kinda cool seeing the bike move separate from the rider.

-One sees where the camera sees... like down at the tank, trying to fins switches, etc. A kinda fisheye look. Limited lens choices... UV, Pol, zoom, etc. Spaghetti network of cables.

Gas cap mounted options (bolt the camcorder directly to a mount connected to the gas cap ring) is a good option as well.

+Simple operation. Vid goes with the bike. Choice of lens, zoom, etc. Easy off/on switch.

-Sometimes have a wind screen to record through. Vid can be effected by a rough road. Camera is out in the elements.

I have a collection of vids. Since the article is the helmetcam approach, here's two helmetcam recorded dual sport rides...

http://www.farson.com/video/gsboreas.wmv

http://www.farson.com/video/gsplatte.wmv
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
sjriott
Founding Member

I've got the helmetcameras setup and I'd never even consider riding with this thing without the protective mount. One ride in the woods and that thing would get ripped right off your helmet. The other nice feature is that there is a cover over the lens of the camera to protect it from dust, bugs, etc.

Another option not mentioned in the article is the LANC input. If you camera has it, you can start and stop the recording with a remote. Very handy and useful out on the trail.