Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-22-2004, 05:19 AM   #31
Buzz_Waloch
Founding Member

Default Re: Great review but......

I saw a Brit mag not long ago that had a naked comparo with the Duc, Aprilia, Benelli, and MV Agusta. I can't remember the name of it but I do remember they picked the Brutale first.
I sincerely apologize for my antics her at MO. It is readily apparent that the majority of MO readers do not appreciate my megalomaniac WWF MO persona. Like the husband that is the last to know his wife is having an affair, I did not understand the detrim
Buzz_Waloch is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2004, 05:28 AM   #32
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: The MO Streetfighter Shootout Part I

As you noted George, it sounds just fine once you open it up. That's the power valve in the exhaust and it is responsible for the muted sound at low rpm and also for the monster torque right off idle. It's similar to HTEV or the EXUP valves. And in my opinion you are a nut for removing any of these unless you actually plan to race the bike.

I put an aftermarket silencer on my 954 because it was lighter and looked cooler but left the header and HTEV in place. Except for the very top of the rev range my bike dynos better than most 954RRs prowling the streets with the power valve removed and it has a heck of a lot more midrange which is what you need on the street.

Most modern sport bikes come from the manufacturer in pretty good shape. I say just ride 'em and save your money for track days and a race bike.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:29 AM   #33
nokneedragin
Founding Member

I have a soft spot for the Buell, and other than the apathy the dealers have, was considering getting one (when funds get free). But after seeing longride make the Buell look like a pocket bike, I think I am going to pass (being 6'-4"+ limits alot of bikes). Maybe thats why the dealer cracked up laughing when I got on the xb12. Maybe they will stretch the frame and make a ST out of the design that I might fit on.

The Tuono is still a nice looking bike to me, and the Brutale is moving sculpture, that has a great sound.

Great reviews guys, my boss is now truly pissed at you (got to love wasting time at work).

nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:30 AM   #34
HelterSkelter
Founding Member

Yeah I'm not surprised. For some reason in the last 10 years us Brits have gotten very KPaulesque about twins. If it doesn't make 140 hp at 14000 revs it's a load of bollocks....go figure.
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 AM   #35
ewok1
Founding Member

Default Nice job

This is my favorite type of review. All of you deserve a short but enthusiatic round of applause.

I like to think that only an Idahoan would observe that the best bike of the group might have been one not in the test, but that's just me being provincial.

You made the point i would like to emphasize. Owning a naked bike is fun, but they are not terribly practical in my experience. i have owned monsters and speed 3s and i found when it came time to pull them out, i would only take the naked bikes for very short rides. If that's all you need, these are the bikes.

i was surprised by how large a toll the naked bikes take on your body when you ride more than 50 miles.

I ended up bolting all manner of wind deflection devices to the noses with only a small improvement.

Just having returned to coeur d'alene and 20 degrees after 4 days of document review in los angeles i can say it is quite a good experience to go to warm weather. I could adjust to life there, i think.

ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 05:39 AM   #36
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Dude - anyone who thinks "Never Been To Spain" is good music for blasting down the PCH on the way to Santa Monica has a philosophical upside themselves (and darned good taste in music).

Busier than a 1-legged man at an a$$ kicking contest with end of the semester, holidays, etc., which is why I've been scarce.

I'll bet it's as cold here as where you are at

sbp
Old 12-22-2004, 05:46 AM   #37
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice job

Not me man. As much as I like to go to LA to race and for the occasional MO stint I am more than happy to be back here no matter how much crapola Sean and Fonzie give me about living out in the sticks.

I am just happy to have the best of both worlds. Not everyone is so lucky.

We gonna do the Magruder Corridor next summer?

cheers

sbp
Old 12-22-2004, 06:27 AM   #38
kowalke67
Founding Member

Looks like your comments stirred up a little heat (just a little though) but I like what you told us. Can't beat quality input from someone who owns the bike. Grummet (sp?) also owns this bike and recommends getting the race kit.

As for a magazine comparo though, IMO all bikes should be stock. It's great when the mag gives input on correcting any misgivings or mentions things like race kits or tires to improve the bike. But the comparo needs to be based on stock performance.

A lot of people like to modify their bike after buying it and I completely understand if that is what turns them on. I'm more about finding tires I like and leaving most other things alone. Not that I wouldn't modify it if money permitted but it's a finite resource. I need to spend it on track days, trips to places where there are actually curves, and maybe another bike That being said, if I owned the XB12S I'd probably consider the race kit because current owners of the bike seem to highly recommend it.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:30 AM   #39
Habsdoc
Registered Member

I HATE this damn magazine!! Every time I read one of your articles, I want to go out and buy that motorcycle (or 3!) But thanks for whetting my appetite anyway....now if I could just get the key to these handcuffs from my wife when she wasn't looking.....

Habsdoc
Habsdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:32 AM   #40
kowalke67
Founding Member

So true. That along with the same tired arguments over twins, fours, Harleys, cruisers vs. sport bikes, etc.