Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-22-2004, 05:25 PM   #91
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: The MO Streetfighter Shootout Part I

Sean, would one of Buell's custom seats make a difference? I have a Girlfriend factor to consider... Love that 12R though!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2004, 05:51 PM   #92
Fenton
Founding Member

Default Re: Speed 3

I love the exotic stuff but I seem to choose the functional bikes. I am a big twin fan myself and the next bike more than likely will show that. My heart says, Duc, Aprilia, Triumph, but my motorcycle adultry can be expensive. There are some left over SV1000S (03) for Under $7k otd. I can break even getting rid of the Futura but the ZRX is a Quick 3k bath.

My skill level should be of more concern. A solid bike and some track time makes a lot more sense.

Thanks for the knowledge,
Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:02 PM   #93
tuono04doug
Founding Member

great shoot out...I have the same trouble finding neutral and usually tap in from second gear as I approach a red light, thank god there is no fairing I have a hard enough time keeping it under 110 mph as it is.
tuono04doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:31 PM   #94
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Yeah, just my luck to have my little (Big) F-up with HIM around (Sean was there too). Buzz just got a taste of my talents, obviously enough to provide endless amusement. Al seems like one of those guys that won't say much, just start cutting you when he's had enough. All-in-all a fun group to hang with, on occasion.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 06:43 PM   #95
tomk2
Founding Member

Default XB swingarm and belt idler pulley

There's an interesting article in the latest Fuell (the Buell owners mag) about the rear suspension geometry and the idler pulley on the drive belt & how there's a lot more to the design and layout than meets the eye.

The problem with swingarms is that you've got two fixed points (engine drive sprocket and swingarm pivot) and one floating point (rear wheel sprocket) and as the rear wheel moves up and down the total length of the belt/chain path changes. The longest path occurs when the three points are all in line and minimizing slack in the belt/chain is a normal compromise when laying out suspension geometry.

On the Buell the designers wanted to use a suspension geometry where the rear sprocket would have its entire range of travel well below the "straight line". This geometry would reduce suspension squat during acceleration but created a problem of excess change in belt path length, the path being shorter (belt looser) the lower the wheel sat. The change in belt path length over the range of the suspension was enough to cause belt/chain slip under hard acceleration.

To fix this Buell developed the fixed idler pulley attached to the frame, the diameter and location being optimized by computer modeling so that over the entire range of suspension movement the maximum variation between shortest belt path and longest belt path was less than 1/100th inch.

This gave the XB both the no-compromise suspension geometry Buell wanted AND a zero-lash zero maintenance drive belt with a 25K mile + life.

tomk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 07:38 PM   #96
ewok1
Founding Member

Default sure thing and

don't forget to have fun.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 10:17 PM   #97
EthanR
Founding Member

1. When you're doing a shootout, you can't start modifying one bike without upping them all. I guess I'm one of the "nobody" XB12S owners that's perfectly happy with the stock engine and pipe.

2. Suspension settings are CRITICAL on this bike. The, uh, larger tester should've taken the time before he rode it. His impression would have been rather different right off the bat. My dad's 5'10" and 250 lb, and hasn't ridden anything smaller than a Gold Wing in 30 years. After setting up the suspension for him he had an absolute hoot on my XB.

3. See #1. It's true that nobody I know actually replaces the stock tires with the same ones, but when you're doing a comparison ya takes what ya git an' ya don't throw a fit.

Great article, guys! It was good to hear both the positive and negative feedback on all 3 bikes in the environment for which they are best suited instead of the usual, "We really loved all the bikes but had to choose..." drivel some rags publish.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:23 PM   #98
EthanR
Founding Member

If you want passenger room, you've got to go with the R model unless your passenger is child-sized. None of the aftermarket seats I've seen are significantly better than the stocker. There's just not enough room on the tail. I don't even bother on mine...the first thing I did when I got it home (after taking the kids for a short ride) was remove the passenger pegs/mounts.

Keep in mind, too, that on a bike its size (52" wheelbase) a passenger makes a big difference in handling.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:39 PM   #99
EthanR
Founding Member

Default Re: Nice job

I don't know any MV or Aprilia owners personally, but there are a number of Buelligans out there racking up the miles. I've put 5K miles in just 3 months (including a couple 300+ mile days) on my XB12S, and there are a bunch more over at the BadWeb (www.badweatherbikers.com) who ride the snot out of 'em. Quite a few of us also use them as daily commuters (32 miles each way in my case) and love them in that capacity.

Not everyone's cup o' tea (aren't variety & choice great?) but you'll find that those of us who like our XBs *really* like them.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:08 PM   #100
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

You guys have me all wrong. When have I EVER hosed either of you??

I just chronicle the antics of my colleagues. I don't make any of this stuff up.

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote