Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-18-2001, 06:04 AM   #21
john
Founding Member

Default Re: ease up on the racist accusations......

The comment doesn't bother me; you obviously aren't the most creative of persons, and you still don't get the point. You, I assume, are of the opinion that I am making a generalized, derogatory remark against the Japanese people. I also assume that you think this is a very insensitive thing to do. But now, look at yourself: you just did the exact same thing that you are mad enough at me for. If Texans had a history of being persecuted as many other peoples had, you would be blasted as quickly as i have been. There is just a very thin line between what is socially acceptable and what is not.

Give the world another hundred years, when the population is great enough that America is no longer fighting to be a powerful nation, but one that is fighting for food, just like every other. There are much bigger problems out there. The world is moving towards a single culture. Percentages of individual races and cultures out of the world population are decreasing. Soon enough, this will be much less import than some make it to be.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-18-2001, 06:22 AM   #22
john
Founding Member

Default Re: Now, if only they sold it in the US

Yes, I have an SV650, and just to put in a good suspension can easily set you back 800-1000 dollars. new springs and fork emulators are 400 combined, and a rear shock is anywhere from 500-800 dollars. I agree with the above that parts would be prohibitively expensive if you dropped it.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:21 PM   #23
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: Raptor 650 Reader Feedback

On the 1000 Raptor (and I'm 90% confident that the 650 is the same) the forks are completely unadjustable and the shock is only adjustable for preload. The standard settings work well enough for me though. For more info on the model range see <a>www.cagiva.it</a>
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2001, 08:24 AM   #24
john
Founding Member

Default Re: ease up on the racist accusations......

Perhaps, it would be almost as odd as when black guys in my dorm call me ******. I'm white. Does it bother me? No, they call me that because we are friends and they just call their friends that. i will give you that context makes all the difference in the world on what are sensitive matters. Get my ass whuped over something like that? I doubt it.
Old 01-19-2001, 08:27 AM   #25
john
Founding Member

That is the suspension set up for the SV650, i don't think it shares them with the raptor. I could have almost sworn the raptor has USD or RSD fully adjustable forks, and a rear shock adjustable for everything bt ride height.
Old 01-23-2001, 07:56 AM   #26
wingdave
Founding Member

Default Re: history lesson part two

Yeah, John, I can see your point, and I agree there is one.. but I point out the differences so they can be appreciated, not to be divisive.

My family was the sole white family on our street in Oakland growing up, and I was convinced something was wrong with me. It made me the opressed.. (in my young mind) and I think gave me a good perspective as an adult.

Americans are all different. there is no archetypal "American" because of the "melting pot." We probably shouldn't just forget about past bigotry, etc.. to make sure we "all get along" now.

Rather, make sure those lessons aren't forgotten, so they never happen again.

The ends we both are striving for are subject to interpretation, but they seem to be the same ends..

I can't imagine a more boring world than the one where peoples' differences aren't celebrated, but that's just me.

That would be a world where everyone rode the same motorcycle.. and I Just WON'T HAVE THAT. LMAO..

(apologies if this post is too "heady" or politically jerk-correct weed)

RIDE LIKE YOU'RE INVISIBLE
wingdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 02:20 AM   #27
Janet
Founding Member

Yes - they are upside-down forks but, on the 1000 definitely and probably on the 650 too, they aren't adjustable. They are 43 mm and are made by Marzocchi.

The rear shock on the 1000 is made by Sachs and is adjustable for preload only.

It all works pretty well, though the forks were very harsh for the first 100 miles or so from new until they settled down. No complaints now.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2001, 10:07 PM   #28
VR_420
Founding Member

Default Re: Designed in what, ten minutes?

This reply is to both the Anonymous Squid above, and to Greatoldbikes. First, for the Squid, I also fully agree concerning the sales decrease of the SV650, after having sat on both models at an International Motorcycle Show, I don't like the feel of either one of them, though they both LOOK great, as of right now they hold none of my interest. The Raptor on the other hand looks much better than the two Suzuki's, and looks more comfortable, and seems to be more enjoyable to ride, judging from the report. Now my reply to Greatoldbikes. I also, fully agree with you on the whole "Monster look-a-like" issue, there are a lot of them out there, nakedness abound. Now, I am all for originality in design of function and style, Chrysler's cheap marketing approach really pisses me off with all there same chassis' cars and , but this same attitude has not yet infected my appeal of the Raptor, yet. I still very much like the Monster look, until I sat on one at the show, and learned of the Desmo engine before that, it used to be at the top of my wish list. I still love how they look, just hate how they feel. Love it or hate it, the Monster look is "in" and is going to continue to appeal to riders for a while, especially ones like myself, who have not been saturated by the Monster yet, or who'd like to own a Monster, but it's not practical.

VR_420
VR_420 is offline   Reply With Quote