Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 01-16-2001, 11:04 AM   #11
SugarMrPoon
Founding Member

Default Re: ease up on the racist accusations......

didn't we have this same damned conversation about three months ago?

forget PC - just be polite
SugarMrPoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2001, 12:16 PM   #12
starvingstudent
Founding Member

Default Price?

You mention it's cheap, but how cheap? You don't list any possible MSRP's. For someone who liked the SV650 but found its seat too high (yes I am short and of slight build--shoot me), this bike looks AWESOME. I love the frame and double silencers.

On another note, could people lay off the Japanese derogatory comments? Some pretty unique designs have come out of Japan. Hawk GT? Valkyrie? V-MAX? Hayabusa?
starvingstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 03:14 PM   #13
backroadbandit
Founding Member

Default Re: history lesson

I like "honky"...in fact, my license plate frame says "Horn if your Honky"
backroadbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 04:56 PM   #14
Gabe
Registered Member

Default Origin of "Honky"

I read an interesting factoid about the term "honky." Folks from eastern europe settling in Chicago around 1900 were all called "bohemians", regardless of national origin. (See Wila Cather's "My Antonia") This was mangled to "bohunk" by the 1930's, and when African-Americans moved to Chicago during and after WWII, they shortened it even further to "Honkie."

I think it's funny as hell, myself. The barb is in who is delivering the insult- powerless to the more powerfull, i.e. Blacks to Whites. "******" is so much more hurtfull because it reminds one of the relationship between white slaveholders or landowners towards poor and powerless Africans.

Not sure about "Japs." It would be hurtful towards people who had to endure the humiliation and second-class status of many Japanese-Americans in the US before and during WWII. I think native Japanese would just shrug.

"Zionist Jew" was definately said to be hurtful, and in response, I merely say, "go f*ck yourself."

Just a guy in the ether...
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:30 PM   #15
motorpsycho
Founding Member

Default Re: Raptor 650 Reader Feedback

Yeah it looks good but we're not going to get it!
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2001, 05:36 PM   #16
motorpsycho
Founding Member

Default Re: Raptor 650 Reader Feedback

Golly Beav, you really said it well...or do I mean good?
motorpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 02:21 AM   #17
Janet
Founding Member

Default Re: Designed in what, ten minutes?

The Monster satisfies a niche in motorcycling for a straightforward roadster with a bit of style. A V-twin's power delivery suits this concept perfectly. Where it has lagged behind though is in the motor. Cagiva have sought to address this - and a very good job they've done too. This was probably less necessary with the 650 than with the 1000, since the SV650 was already fulfilling a similar niche, albeit with (arguably) less panache and certainly somewhat less suited to short riders.

In the case of the 1000 it was definitely identifying a gap in the market - the existing air-cooled Monster wasn't particularly powerful and the TL1000S was a more sporty bike (and also had questionable handling - which I can't justifiedly personally comment on, never having ridden one). OK, so the new Monster S4 is now available - but the seat height is a great deal higher than on the traditional Monster range, effectively ruling it out for shorter riders. I own a Raptor 1000 - I managed to get a test-ride on one and it was so good and just so much fun that I traded my R1 in for it. I'm only 5'6" but it is definitely small enough for me. I have tried the new Monster S4 for size and that is definitely too tall for me, and carries its weight in such a way that it feels much heavier than the Raptor at a standstill.

I would also contend that the Raptor's styling has in fact moved on from the Monster.

Perhaps you have to ride a Raptor for yourself to appreciate just how much fun they are - I was extremely sceptical until I tried one, and then I ended up buying it because it was more fun than the R1.

I don't know how much the 650 will sell for in the UK yet, but I do know that the 1000 is considerably cheaper than the TL1000S.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2001, 08:20 AM   #18
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Now, if only they sold it in the US

I can tell you, if the V-raptor 650 (I really like the looks and the mini-fairing) was offered in the US, I'd buy it in a hot second. I'd gladly pay an extra $1000 over an SV650 for the style and better suspension.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 04:44 AM   #19
john
Founding Member

Default Re: history lesson

Ok, and the British started calling Americans yanks in the War of Rebellion for the same reason. It was propaganda. The fact that Americans call themselves yanks testifies that some of us have got skin thicker than cheap toilet paper.

And, BTW, i do see a point. As long as you continue to point out the differences amongst people, the longer you continue to promote and insure that those differences are recognized.

i think we both mean for the same end, for people to get along, we just go about them differently.
Old 01-18-2001, 04:52 AM   #20
john
Founding Member

Default Re: ease up on the racist accusations......

No, i've never been on the recieving end of racist remarks, but moving from texas to california, i always got the Redneck, incestual , bit from a lot of people. did it bother me some? sure, the comments were intended to hurt. Did i shrug it off? yes. If someone got in my face saying that now would it hurt? no, i would laugh.

Actually, i am 75% wop, or daego, or whatever you tell me i should feel deeply offended and hurt about for being called, as are a lot of people i know. Sure we will call each other that, no biggie.

I think its the stuff you keep inside that hurts people more than anything else, so why not have it all out on the table.