Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-16-2004, 03:48 PM   #101
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Dang you didn't pass him!

Ouch!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-16-2004, 03:53 PM   #102
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: You have your choice of weapons to go to war with

Which one do you think will be able to make an emergency lane change faster, F-22 or C172? I'll bet the 172 takes 1/3 the space to make a U-Turn than an F22 does. I'll also bet you that it would be much easier to dodge SUVs while making an emergency freeway landing in a 172 than in a F-22, but hey, what do I know?

Of course in principal, I agree (choke) with what you are trying to say, ie... Sportbikes are much more maneuverable than Harlies and given the same speeds and conditions, should be able to make much quicker emergency evasive maneuvers. -Sean
Old 12-16-2004, 04:06 PM   #103
kowalke67
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R

There are some incredible deals on Triumphs in my area too. You guys have an opinion of the Speed Four? I want something inexpensive for track days and I can get an 03 out the door for about $5600. It doesn't make near the power of big 4 600cc but, like you say, I'm not kidding myself on my skills.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:23 PM   #104
Hutchinator
Founding Member

First, before the Lt would have that option, he would have recevied over a year's worth of training in how to handle that fighter just to get into its ****pit. After that, it take many OJT hours before he is considered fully qualified for that bike. If you want to compare the 600s to the Raptor, something to consider...

Second, 600s and F-22 are hardely a decent comaprison. All things considered, maybe a Mustang. I'd be wiling to let you slid with a mig 21/23. Compairing the elite with a middle class is just injustice to both ends. Come out with a 2L 300-350lbs bike, I'll consider it justified.
Old 12-16-2004, 04:26 PM   #105
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Dammit Jim, I'm not a spell checker

Damn, click ok instead of preview again...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:29 PM   #106
gbrummett
Founding Member

Default Kawasaki ZX-636R

Lot's of good comments.

What really got me thinking about this whole thing was the ride I took this Fall, me with a 2004 Buell XB12S and a friend on his old Suzuki GS500 and a another guy with a brand new 636 Kawasaki Ninja. All went well until we got out to my fav twisty road by Canyon lake and we both left the 636 far far behind. So far behind that I thought he had gone down. We stop at Tortillia Flats for a soda and a long time later here he comes along at a pace my Gold Wing could easily surpass.

After talking with him I find out he's not only new to this motorcycle but that this is his first bike.

I wonder at the thought of learning at that young of an age on that powefull of a motorcycle and am thankfull for starting out on a 350 Honda.

One wonders how the new ones make it on these machines and how many more will fail as the HP continues to rise and rise and the egos continue to make sure that they don't start out on anything less.

gbrummett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 05:41 PM   #107
seruzawa
The Toad

Kook always harps on this "better braking and handling" crap.

First off, braking only has to be good enough. It doesn't matter if it takes 2 fingers or 4, hard or easy pressure if you still stop in the same distance. There is no evidence that sportbikes stop any faster on the street than Goldwings. Heavier bikes exert more stopping force to the tarmac than lighter ones via the tires, you know. Basic physics. The best stoppers are ABS, anyhow. No sportbikes have ABS. So Kooks's claim is simply more bs from a complete ignoramus.

And then there's "handling". Well, once again there are too many variable to consider to be able to make some blanket statement. Simply, a sportbike sucks for street conditions with the poor seating position, poor handlebar leverage and poor visibility compared to a naked standard or a middleweight cruiser. I can countersteer my 600lb GSX1100G with much more ease than a 600 with the stupid clipons. I can also see all around me much more easily... far more important than some variable like braking power.

A Supermotard would make mincemeat out of a supersport when it comes to instantly responsive manuverability. Supermotards have less peak hp and more torque down low where it counts. If you want to recommend a good choice for a newbie a supermotard would be a much better recommendation than some uncomfortable, fatiguing, narrowly focused sportbike.

None of these considerations are senior to the most important factor... the intelligence controlling the vehicle. A passenger would be much safer on a West Coast Chopper with Ebass driving than on an ABS equipped R1150R with the inexperienced and arrogant Kook in "control".

Keep the sportbikes where they belong.. in experienced hands, on the track and in the canyons. Use a bike designed for the street on the street.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #108
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Safety for Dummies

1975 Kawasaki KS125 to 1975 Honda CB400 Four after 6 months here (15 years old). Got the full lecture from Dad before being turned loose with almost 30 HP! Dreamed about Z-1's day and night.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 07:58 PM   #109
Pinkslip
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R

Why are people raising complaint about too much power for a 600? These manufacturers aren't looking at these bikes thinking "This Supersport is going to target new riders." The reason this thing was bored out to 636cc is because many clubs allow 640cc. I'm sure Kawi knows a bunch of sales are going to go to new riders, but that should not retard the development of the bike.

Now that the 600 class is changing, peoples' begginer-bike options simply need to change as well. The GSXR 750 (of any model year) is never the first suggestion for a new rider. Well, today, neither is a Ninja ZX-6R.

I never thought I would say this, but I want a Kawi. I can't wait to read a 2005 comparo of it against the rest of the class. (I'm also fairly interested in seeing a dyno chart for it.)

I was looking long and hard at the '04 GSXR 750, but now I'm not so sure. Either way, I have until spring to decide.
Pinkslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #110
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Sean, I hate to disagree with what you're saying here since it looks like I'm agreeing with KPlop, but the Raptor can definitely outmaneuver the Cessna. For abrupt movement, the F-22 is specifically designed to react faster and more precisely to operator inputs, where as the 172 (without Acrobatic Upgrades) is not made to handle these types of stresses. While is larger/heavier, having seen what it can do in the air, it is more likely that the Raptor's U-Turn is 1/3 of the Cessna's.

I know that wasn't really the point of your post, but I felt a need to clarify. My point below is saying what KPlop did was call a Civic the same as a Vet because it could beat out a Hauler, so I do agree with your message.

Besides, if I had to land on a freeway, I'd want the M61 with its 480 20mm rounds to clear the way! ~