Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 12-10-2004, 03:32 PM   #71
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Honda CBR 600RR

Yeah well OK JB, but by the time the tree killers have come out with their reviews, MO has long since leveraged the reduced time to print of the internet to bring you ummm... errrr...the scoop... well that is to say... ummm... in theory, online should be faster than... errrr... uhhhhh...

.... never mind
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2004, 03:43 PM   #72
christian_gates
Founding Member

Default Re: Road Racing World

A PE is a credential that has little bearing on an individual's knowledge or expertise. Definitionally it guarantees some generalized baseline level of knowledge, but it does not imply mastery of the very, very specialized knowledge about building and tuning racing motorcycles. For an example of this in action, witness the development of just about any racing vehicle. I'll use as an example the 917/30 which, despite 1,500 horsepower, was originally only a 210MPH car; after the driver (Donohue) made some suggestions to the engineering team, it was a 240 MPH car - an extreme example, but a demonstration that some sort of engineering credential is not the be-all, end-all of validity of advice.

Sport Rider actually has some pretty good analytical stuff from time to time, too. Examine their rough experiments on airbox pressure, for example - they are rough and not really lab quality, but it's not junk science, either. I'm not a trained or practicing engineer, but I've studied enough physics (thermo, fluids, systems synamics etc.) to be able to seperate most of the bull***** from the stuff that's actually physics.

And congratulations on turning a thread about how the guys at MO are doing a good job, and some subsequent follow up about my apparently overly ass-kissity tone, to trashing the guys at Sport Rider, CW et. al. (which I do too, but not for lack of skill, just for being beholden to signing up advert. dollars and a lack of skepticism in their reporting).

A final point. There were plenty of very, very highly skilled, highly trained engineers on hand that effectively ensured, via their expertise, that the space shuttles Challenger and Discovery would be incinerated.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 03:46 PM   #73
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

C'mon Sean. It's just KPuke talking out his ass again. The dummy needs hemorrhoid creme so his butt lips don't get chapped from flapping em so much. Nice writeup on the 600. I doubt it would be my first choice, but I like checking it out anyway.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:51 PM   #74
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

It's well known that those that can't ride will trash others that can. KPuke is just jealous that his mommy won't let him have a motorcycle yet. She said he can get one when he grows up. We certainly know that won't be anytime soon.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:28 PM   #75
Hutchinator
Founding Member

Default Re: Bill for Minivan Males

Can I get an Amen!
Old 12-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

That must really suck in Seattle.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #77
jungkvist
Founding Member

Default Re: What was that about the ZX-6R?

Now, don't go lyin like that. The New River Bridge is at least 1/2 mile long, and there's nearly a 3/4 mile straight that leads up to the bridge, from the red-light. If, however, you're talkin about 2 lanes, yeah, you'll be lucky to fine as 3/4 mile straight in the whole state of WV. There's places in WV. where the biggest thing in town is the machine that pumps in sunshine. Damn pretty, though.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:18 PM   #78
jungkvist
Founding Member

Ditto. To me, about the only thing a 600 spec sheet is good for is wiping my a$$, or bragging rights. Far as my ever actually riding one to it's full potential goes, that only happens in deep REM-State. And, when it comes to Liter Bikes? Hell! My subconscious can't even get on grip on those.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:49 PM   #79
sqidbait
Founding Member

A final point. There were plenty of very, very highly skilled, highly trained engineers on hand that effectively ensured, via their expertise, that the space shuttles Challenger and Discovery would be incinerated.

So you're saying that NASA would have been better off just hiring random folks off of the street?

-- Michael

sqidbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:59 PM   #80
jungkvist
Founding Member

Seems to me, Chuck Yeager didn't make it through High School and he ended up training Astronauts. He was also one of the greatest pilots of all time. And, Einstein was lousy at academics (failed math, of all things). Sorry, but you can't teach talent. Angelo Dundee said it best, "Ya can't put it in, if God left it out."

BTW, some of the best minds in our country never make it to collage because they have learning disabilities. Ya wanna meet somebody with amazing problem solving skills, talk to someone with ADD; their whole life is a problem, that hey have to figure out. Examples: DiVinci, Edison and John Britten.

Unfortunately, ADD is seen as a disease. If you can't learn by route and spit out information for tests, you can't make it into collage. I barely made it through High School, but I was contemplating what eventually turned out to be Chaos Theory, when I was in the 6th grade. So, take your academic credentials and stick 'em where the sun don't shine.