Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-29-2004, 09:25 AM   #21
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Yamaha R6 Test

KPail, you are 100% correct, there are numerous cruisers that have superior low speed/rpm "roll-on" accelleration to a modern 600 Supersport. Nice of you to point that out for us. -Sean

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-29-2004, 09:32 AM   #25
Nplateau
Founding Member

I'd expect that to be the case as well, but more as a result of the slightly larger capacity and a few more ft/lbs of torque.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:34 AM   #26
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Even at 4,000RPM, that Harley Sportster will leave you for dead, until you pull your head out and make a couple downshifts. Meanwhile he's already 5 bike lengths ahead of you and though you will catch and pass him like he's standing still, it will be about 4 blocks down the road, while you are accellerating through 100MPH. Of course on the city streets, that race was ovel long before you actually caught and passed the Sportster. Unless of course, you intend to wind it out for a 1/4 mile and 100+ MPH on city streets. (I'll wager that rarely happens in the real world) -Sean

Old 10-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #27
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: indeed.

u right as usual. never mind.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:36 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Dont' argue with him Sean. Remember, KPaul has owned and ridden one motorcycle in his entire life and that's enough to be an authority on everything.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #29
wrecks
Founding Member

Journalist GP? Is that an oxymoron?
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:38 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

I have extensive experience on ZX-6Rs and am sure that the low-end performance of the new ZX-6R (which I will be test ing on the street and track, in Almeria Spain, Dec 4th-8th) will be slightly better than the R6. However, the difference will be minor and comparrisons between 600s shouldn't place much emphasis on low-rpm power or tractablilty.