Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 10-27-2004, 10:30 AM   #31
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Horsecrap

I wasn't claiming that Victory was producing MotoGP bikes. What I was trying to say is that most V-TWIN CRUISERS have deliberately de-tuned engines and dumbed-down brakes, to make the bikes perform more like something out of the 1950s. Victory breaks from tradition in this regard.

I went on to say that the 250 rear tire was a dumb thing to do and that it was a departure from Victorys usual practice of trying to make their motorcycles dynamically superior within the constraints of the V-Twin Cruiser mold. -Sean

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #32
obandoj
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Victory Hammer & 8-Ball

Very good test. A good friend of mine has been shoping for a Hammer, so I sent him this test, I hope it helps him make up his mind. He has told me that some of the local dealers here in Arizona, have been trying to get more than MSRP for the Victories, and also have told him that there would be all kinds of extra charges, like prep, delivery, set up, destination, etc. So I guess they are following H-D dealers in their foot steps to scam the unaware.
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:25 AM   #33
maxriderdon
Founding Member

"most V-TWIN CRUISERS have deliberately de-tuned engines and dumbed-down brakes, to make the bikes perform more like something out of the 1950s. Victory breaks from tradition in this regard. "

Well said! The other day a buddy riding a RoadKing bragged about his floating rotors. He paid extra for that, why? Most cruisers come with el cheapo brakes, el crapo motors. Why do we tolerate that?

I'll go out on a limb here, why do "cruisers" have to have measly 2 cylinders. That's ok if folks want a dumb motor in the name of retro, tradition or what ever. Give me cruiser with laidback cruiser style but give me 4 or more cylinders. Honda's greatest bike ever is the Valkyrie. No copy and it's been a popular bike by those who expect more. All bark and no bite is for ... well it's not for me. Give me power, give me brakes, give me descent handling! Ok I'm done.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:29 AM   #34
seruzawa
The Toad

Any bike can give you descent handling.

KPaul can give you some "lowside" lessons.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #35
sarnali
Founding Member

Just about any dealer is going to charge for freight, set-up and delivery. In my experiance that's usually around $500. total. I've heard of dealers selling H.D.'s for MSRP then adding $2k freight and set-up, I don't know if Victory is following in their footsteps, but freight and set-up is a pretty standard charge.

The only time you're going to buy under MSRP is with a slow seller, demo or previous year model, which is what I always go for. The only new bike I paid full price for was my Bandit, and that was only because '01 had some significant changes and was only $7k anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:41 AM   #36
sarnali
Founding Member

Just about any dealer is going to charge for freight, set-up and delivery. In my experiance that's usually around $500. total. I've heard of dealers selling H.D.'s for MSRP then adding $2k freight and set-up, I don't know if Victory is following in their footsteps, but freight and set-up is a pretty standard charge.

The only time you're going to buy under MSRP is with a slow seller, demo or previous year model, which is what I always go for. The only new bike I paid full price for was my Bandit, and that was only because '01 had some significant changes and was only $7k anyway.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:47 AM   #37
F451
Founding Member

Default Sean, Sean, Sean...

Sean,

You of all people know not to take my posts seriously. The real problem with the Hammer is that Victory didn't get Russell Mitchell to design it and then name it the Exile Victory with a 250 up front and at the rear. Any problems with it would have clearly been blamed (in true to Mitchell style) on everyone else and not Mitchell.

The fact of the matter is that I am bored sh!tless with each supposed new cruiser release and wonder whether cruisers are quickly becoming passe? I am also disappointed that Sarnali has not yet finished his pocket-sized travel edition of his leather fringe repair kit as I exceeded the five-degree lean angle on one of my cruisers the other day, dislodging several leather fringe pieces from my perimeter fringe ladened floorboard. The new H-D CVO bikes have reached an all time state of financial stupidity as witnessed by the fact that H-D can now chrome plate dogsh!t with H-D logos and they would sell like Pet Rocks perched upon everyone's desk, while proud consumers' would ask their guests, "Have you seen my new piece of dogsh!t? It's not just any piece of sh!t--it's an H-D piece of sh!t. And it's chromed!"

Cruisers have become boring (yes, you read it here first at MO) and the only one that remotely stirs my curiosity is that nasty bit called the Triumph Rocket III that MO has yet to do a road test upon. Hasn't Yossef gotten of over his buttocks G-string rash yet? Can't he hitchhike over to Hinkley and share a spot of tea with Sir Bloor (I hear tea is good for rashes) and then proceed to flog a Rocket through its paces as though his rash never existed?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 11:53 AM   #38
F451
Founding Member

KPaul told me that cruisers don't lowside, they simply come to rest on their floorboards allowing the rider to safety dismount the cruiser.
Old 10-27-2004, 12:21 PM   #39
wrecks
Founding Member

Default Re: Sean, Sean, Sean...

Maybe the Triumph folks are still sore from getting last place in the MO open class comparo.
wrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 12:31 PM   #40
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: Sean, Sean, Sean...

Then all Sean need do is use that "funny math" synonymous to the American voting system (oh, sh!t, this will light up KPaul) and tell Triumph that depending on how one views the point system that Triumph actually came in first.