Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-15-2004, 01:50 PM   #51
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Tossing of the GSXR

Yes, indeed, in the spirit of the long tradition of "The Tossing of the GSXR".

Or perhaps the sinking of the GS. Although a handy multi-surface transporter, not as useful a machine underwater.

JohnnyB will know what I mean.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2004, 02:11 PM   #52
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 YAMAHA SUPERSPORTS

If piston speed is indeed the limiting factor then you would have to consider skirt to wall clearance. What is it now for these 4-bangers with slipper pistons? I know Harleys are about 0.0015" and my old Brit bikes would do with 0.004 to 0.005". Maybe the rods are real well engineered now and use the expensive materials to reduce the flex you mentioned.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:15 PM   #53
waepoint
Founding Member

Don't forget about the extra-hideous paintjobs on the Euro Honda 1000RR's ... good god those things is ugly.
waepoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:29 PM   #54
christian_gates
Founding Member

My understanding is that it is piston acceleration not velocity that is relevant; insofar as velocity is a proxy for acceleration, then it's meaningful - but by itself, it doesn't have much to do with RPM limits.

I think what happens at high piston acceleration rates (coincident with high RPM, and proportional to stroke) is that the con-rods fail through a gradual process that ultimately results in cracking. Superior metallurgy can address this issue to a point - I have a CBR600F4 that has 22K on the clock and still runs strung, despite frequent trips over 13K RPM (which, with that bike, are rather necessary).

There is an additional issue with valve float / overlap although I believe that this can be solved fairly easily and is less of an issue than piston acceleration.

The natural solution is to use rotary engines, but it's cheaper to refine something that's well understood than to build something new from whole-cloth.

cdg
christian_gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:57 PM   #55
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Valkyries

That reminds me of a goofball "evangelical christian" at work a few years ago, he was going on and on about the then new Valk. and how he was going to trade his GW for one, so I said "well yeah, 100 hp, 100 lb/ft torque, named after the angels of death, how could you go wrong". He got a funny look on his face and said "I didn't know thats what it means."

About a month later he shows up on a new Shadow Spirit, saying he got a better deal on it
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #56
dylanmo
Founding Member

Any of those old rotary Kawis kicking around still?

A cool summer project for some industrious kids would be to drop a Renesis (rx- engine into some cruiser frame to make a kinda Rotary Boss Hog. 250 hp at 8500 rpm, that'd get ya to church on time.
dylanmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:02 PM   #57
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Self-defense!

Didja' hear about the two peanuts walking down the street?

One was a-salted..... HA-HA-HA-HA....I crack myself up.

I think the MT01 is pretty cool looking myself, I'd buy one. The R1 is, and remains the absolute sexyest looking bike on earth. Mass cool
Old 09-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #58
sarnali
Founding Member

If you want to increase piston speed, twist the loud handle.

You don't need an engineering degree to figure that one out.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:40 PM   #59
Dreadstar
Founding Member

As long as they do something in the right direction. Maybe a poll would convince them that this is the right direction?
Dreadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 05:27 PM   #60
Crackerbat
Founding Member

agreed.

the mt I think is more along the lines of competition to the zrx1200 (rest in peace), yamaha's own v-vmax, the cb1300 if we ever see it and the drooly fjx1300

Crackerbat is offline   Reply With Quote