Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-15-2004, 05:17 AM   #11
nickrab
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 YAMAHA SUPERSPORTS

I like the MT.

No, it's not a Tuono, nothing like it at all. As one of those wierdo's that doesn't like supersport bikes or cruisers though, both bikes appeal to me. Just visualizing the ride (of a bike I have only seen pictures of) I anticipate there being a massively different feel between the two bikes.

I applaud yamaha, doing something different and having a little substance. How freaking boring was the new models for most the other big 4? "Our GBRXXRR 1000 now has 180hp and dropped 8lbs" So what? Do something new, make me sit at my computer bikeless and dream about a new ride.

Then again, I curse Yamaha. How dare you not bring this bike over. Bastards. Maybe I should blame all the supersport squids and cruiser types here in the states buying the wrong bikes. It seems that all the advertising and dealer pressure pushes to these two sorts of bikes though, so it is not suprising that they can't sell anything else over here.

nickrab is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-15-2004, 05:25 AM   #12
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Buell sales have steadily increased over the past few years. Yamaha will bring it here after they work out the bugs in Europe.

I agree with you on the latest CBGXRYZ1000. Air-cooled motorcycles really appeal to me. There's just an elegance in the execution that is lost in the maze of plumbing on a liquid bike.

When the Ducati GT1000 is available, I will likely be lining up for one.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:05 AM   #13
nweaver
Founding Member

Default Razor Sharp my butt...

A 530 lb dry-weight motorcycle won't have a razor sharp chassis. The MT-01 is no threat to the current buells, which weigh a good 130 lbs less, and makes more power.

Anyone attracted to a buell is not going to want the extra 130 lbs and negative-ten horsepower distorting their fun.

The MT-01 is a "funky lookin air-cooled roadster", it is no match for a modern Buell.

nweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 06:09 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Razor Sharp my butt...

I didn't realize the weight difference was that much. Maybe it's Yamaha's version of a Confederate Hellcat.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:13 AM   #15
seruzawa
The Toad

Note that the air-cooled Buell meets new emission standards without a catalytic converter. A function of the higher operating temperature?

You can make a good street machine out of a GSXR is you mount higher wider handlebars, lower the pegs, drop the countershaft sprocket a tooth..... hey wait a second, don't we already call this a Speed Triple?

Old 09-15-2004, 06:23 AM   #16
seruzawa
The Toad

Don't forget that the Japanese always grossly underreport the weight in the ad copy. They usually neglect to include things like the battery anf tires when they give their claimed "dry weight".

Add another 75 lbs.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:27 AM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I'm waiting for the Speed Triple to grace your driveway so we can have the Morons meet in the middle ride.

We're all ridin' up to Martin's place in Idaho.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:27 AM   #18
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Yawn...

Huh? Did someone say something?

Gonna be a slow year boys.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:33 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

It's kinda like BMW quoting horsepower figures. How many ads have you seen quoting 130 hp for the K1200GT. It dynos at about 112.

BMW is quoting 167 in its current ad copy regarding the new K1200S.

It's like the old SAE gross hp numbers from the muscle cars of the 60s. Hp was taken at the crank with the alternator, water pump and everything else disconnected.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:37 AM   #20
eekadog
Founding Member

Default the MT-01 is just like Butter...

i was thinking it was yamaha's version of the boxer butterbean....

big, fat, slow, ugly...but it packs a punch.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote