Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-13-2004, 02:55 AM   #71
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: 2005 BMW K1200S

Several attempts have been made to replace the telescopic fork. Remember the ill-fated ELF bikes? None of the attempts have succceeded in a racing environment. Apparently the "solutions" to inherent telescopic fork problems introduce other problems that in the end are worse.

Since what the racers use drives much of the market, like it or not, that's what you'll see people buying.

The added bonus for the Beemerphiles is that their specialized suspension will give them yet another reason to look down their noses at the rest of us.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2004, 04:00 AM   #72
pdad13
Founding Member

"Apparently the 'solutions' to inherent telescopic fork problems introduce other problems that in the end are worse."

Yup, this seems to be the bane of engineering. Fix one problem and introduce another. The problem is, and I think we all lose sight of this, we don't know every single thing about physics. We like to think that we do, but we don't. So sometimes a solution that looks great on paper fails in practice--and the engineers don't necessarily even know why. Maybe they missed one variable in the thousand they needed to consider and screwed up the works. Maybe, something just didn't act the way it was supposed to according to theory.

With the escalating stakes in MotoGP, I'm sure that convention would not keep the teams from exploring girder front ends if they show considerable promise. Like I said, it could be happening right now. And when it comes to chassis stability, I'm also sure that what works better on the track would probably work better on the street.

And no I don't remember the ill-fated ELF bikes. Perhaps you could enlighten me? Did they resemble the 6-wheeled Tyrell F-1 cars (sponsored by ELF) from the 70's? That would be cool.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:40 AM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

Here's some info:

http://www.directparts.com/static/goose/susp

ension.htm

http://arc.losrios.edu/~mccleld/weirdnes.html

http://www.tonyfoale.com/Articles/Steer/STEER.htm
Old 09-13-2004, 04:53 AM   #74
GrufRude
Registered Member

Very interesting design elements, but the comments about fuel mapping difficulties are worrisome, given BMW's track record in that area. I've read preliminary ride impressions of the bike in a number of different magazines and all of them found low-speed throttle response unacceptable. For years, BMW pretended the oilhead boxers' surging did not exist -- took them 11 years or so to sort it out -- and in the interim they acted like it was the riders' fault. I don't think I'd want to be one of the guys who committed $22K to own one of these sight unseen and with no test ride ....
GrufRude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:46 AM   #75
mile_eater
Founding Member

You bring it on yourself.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:46 AM   #76
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Walther p99

Years ago I once asked a gun nut friend of mine what kind of gun to own for protection at home. His reply was to just call the police. But, if you really must own a gun then buy a shotgun and cut the barrel off about 2" beyond the end of the shell. His reasoning was that when someone breaks into your house at night and you're asleep he will surprise you and you have only seconds to figure out what to do. So, keep the gun loaded by the bed so you can reach it fast and be able to fire in the intruders general direction. Some of the pellets should hit him. After playing that scenario out in my mind I decided I'm better off taking my chances and call the police.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:53 AM   #77
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: How often?

Communication is for wimps. We shoot first and ask questions later.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:01 AM   #78
pushrod
Founding Member

The rumor mill has it the new tourer will be based on the Rocket III.

Which, in view of Triumph's tendency to platform-share, makes a lot of sense.

Power sure won't be a problem.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 06:02 AM   #79
mikedard
Founding Member

Thanks DwH for the ref.s needed to point out to the guys who want to by pass good engineering out of hand. PDA you pointed out the Tyrell F1 cars, with that car you proved my pointed about racings institutional bias. That car was better and was winning too many races so they outlawed it. I was thinking of using that very design earlier to prove that point. DwH sends us to the website where it described the Hossack (new BMW's) front end. Goggle Hossack and you'll find where, Hossack states he runs into the same type of thinking some of you are showing. I've found institutional baises more prevelent in young colleage grad's to be the worst. I always tell my young engineers to toss out what they thought they learned from school, start relearning everything and then reapply it in the real world.
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote