Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-12-2004, 02:57 AM   #51
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW K1200S

"I am moving to a land of heavy snows"

Are you moving to such a God Forsaken place out of choice?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 AM   #52
seruzawa
The Toad

I'm not exactly sure how innovative a girder front end is, but we'll soon see how the bike stacks up un comparison.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:09 AM   #53
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: Walther p99

Amen. Cops are not paid to prevent crime or protect the peace. They are paid to clean up the mess.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:42 AM   #54
nickrab
Founding Member

LOL,

Not so god forsaken, I am moving to Lake Tahoe. Seeing how in addition to motorcycling I mountain bike, climb, and snowboard I think it is great.

I could get a supermotard, and in the winter ride spiked wheels. I can see it already, traffic jam on the way to squaw valley, sweet powder day with a couple of feet of fresh on the ground. Everyone is *****ing and waiting in their cars. I go blatting by on my motard, snowboard slung across my shoulder. I saw a guy do it in a James Bond movie, so it must be possible!
nickrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 06:14 AM   #55
pipnmali
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW K1200S - Pricing

I was at my local BMW shop yesterday (SM Cycle in Victoria, BC) and the sales dude there said the price will be $22k Canadian, the electronic suspension a $2.5k option while ABS is standard equipment. They've already sold the first several that they'll be getting in - some were sold by deposit before pricing was announced. BMW fans sure do have deep pockets I guess.

They had a TV showing a tank-bag-video of the owner's test ride on the Nurburgring. Coooool!

Sadly, I was there to test ride a 2000 Daytona 955 that they had just sold...
pipnmali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:51 AM   #56
nbyers
Registered Member

Default I'm votin' on servo brakes with my dollars.

Last spring I bought a second bike for two-up riding, an R1100S.

I was not interested in a 2002 or later model because I was looking for an ABS bike without the servo-assist.

ABS is ok with me. If you're good enough to brake better in the wet than the ABS can, and you're doing the kind of riding that warrants it, then for cryin' out loud buy a GSXR750. And when you pass me during the track day, just go around the outside, please.

But servo-assist? That's solving a problem that doesn't exist! I can stoppie on my sport bike with two fingers. Modern brakes are awesome. Not to mention that the servo stuff adds weight and complexity that are better avoided.

After about four months of poking around I found a red 2001 R1100S with ABS and city bags--but no servo brakes.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 07:52 AM   #57
Viffer-dude
Founding Member

Default Ditch the spellchecker

Great write-up from Yossef, as usual. Looks like the first BMW I might actually want to go take a look at firsthand.

However, the way-numerous typos really detracted from the first-class story. Whoever edited this thing needs to sit down a little longer and make sure the words fit the context of the story, even if they're spelled correctly.
Viffer-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 08:22 AM   #58
obandoj
Founding Member

Yossef paints a clear picture of whatever he is testing and this one is no exception, it sounds like this bike is a contradiction of sorts, some nice technological features are present, and they result in good performance, we will see if they can get the bugs out in time (vibration and shifting). It sounds like it is going to be pretty expensive, but that is what the loyal BMW riders want anyway, it keeps the rif-raf away from them. And last but not least, it is really UGLY
obandoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:13 AM   #60
Hawkster
Founding Member

Nick,

Get something track-worthy. Reno-Fernley and Thunderhill are within easy striking distance of Tahoe. Sears Point/Infineon is not out of the question, either. Laguna Seca and Buttonwillow are a bit farther, but if you are willing to stay overnight prior to a track day, you have five awesome tracks at your disposal!

Hopefully, I'll see you on the slopes, too. For an extremely motorcycle-like experience on snow, check out...

www.tahoecarvers.com