Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #31
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Default Re: How often?

I guess that Yossef doesn't realize that in the U.S. your ass would be a lot more sore after a fag break. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-11-2004, 12:09 PM   #32
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW K1200S

You've lived 90% of your own life without a bike, and now you say you can't imagine how painful living without a bike is? Do you have memory issues?
Old 09-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #33
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

You are technically correct. However the geometrically challenged sometimes refer to 180° horizontally opposed engines as "a 180° V-6" (or V-2, 4, 8, 10, 12 etc.) Of course, we all know that a 180° V is a flat line in reality. -Sean
Old 09-11-2004, 12:24 PM   #34
nickrab
Founding Member

The bike I just sold was a ninja 500, so I think I have had my fill of kawi vertical twins for the time being. Great bikes, especially in the city, but just not what I am wanting.

I am moving to a land of heavy snows, so I think I will just wait until next spring. Until then I can torture myself with ever changing desires for the next bike. Soon instead of urban riding it will be mountain roads! Sweet!
nickrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #35
Vlad
Registered Member

Great review. (But somebody needs to check the spelling.) I liked the skepticism, and I have to admit that the styling is a little, well, strange. Overall though it's a bike I'd want to have. After seeing the Japanese roll out another batch of cruisers (too slow, too upright) and liter bikes (too fast and too uncomfortable), it's nice to see BMW preparing to kick some butt. And thank goodness they put the "partial integrated" brake system on it. I really like that system, as the front lever lets me do all of my speed braking, and I can still trail brake the rear. Seems like all of the innovation is coming out of europe these days. Kudos to BMW for having the stones to roll out a new front suspension on a flagship bike.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #36
pdad13
Founding Member

First, nice job by MO getting a test on this thing. First I've seen so far.

Second, at the price I'm sure BMW will be asking, I don't understand all the fuss. I like the innovative thinking that went into the front end, but nowhere does Yossef indicate that it's a big leap forward from telescopic forks. Performance seems nice but, again, nothing mind-blowing considering the bikes already on the market. The looks: eh. But I do applaud the effort to separate the K1200S (and BMWs in general) from the pack. They just forgot to make it prettier.

They should also never, ever, show the bike in chassis form. It looks like a thalidimide-addled shopping cart. I've seen more impressive looking hand trucks. Just show it without the fairing so you can see the duolever.

As we probably all suspected, most of the fuss is simply that BMW has managed to produce a bike that is competitive with the Hayabusa and ZX-12--only for about 5k more.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 05:56 PM   #37
F451
Founding Member

In one of the motorcycle magazines, they also gave this bike a lukewarm reaction. On the front forks, although they were eagerly expecting some improved handling, it was not the case. They placed in it a luxo-super sport category for those who wanted comfort above all else.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #38
seruzawa
The Toad

High altitudes? Over 6000 ft? Get a large displacement bike. Power seriously decreases at altitude. Much more noticeable on a 600 than a literbike.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:41 PM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Walther p99

The irony is that in States where concealed carry is easily issued you don't often need one! Criminals are cowards and they usually move to places with easier pickings.

It's nice to live in a place where the cops thank you for killing a burglar. Unlike LA or NY where they do everything they can to prosecute the homeowner.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:46 PM   #40
seruzawa
The Toad

Who's fussing? BMW will charge the moon for it. It'll sell to the well-heeled in limited numbers. For that sort of money I'll own 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 motorcycles and have 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 times the fun while the Beemer owners are posing up and down Sunset. Life will go on. All will be well.