Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-09-2004, 07:20 AM   #31
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Hondas

I've got to get a few things off my chest.

First, and I know this is never going to happen, can we stop with the "factory custom" nonsense?! It's a f*cking oxymoron for god's sake!! Didn't anyone ever notice this? And as someone above noted (and thanks for stealing my thunder) they all look more or less the same anyway. Having the ability to bolt on some chrome doo-dads does not, I repeat, DOES NOT, make a motorcycle custom! Damn, even the "custom customs" aren't anymore. Their basically kit bikes with some ugly paint and a few functionally-useless, gaudy bolt-on items. Even being an advertising/marketing weenie, I'm still amazed at what the public is willing to accept as a product concept. I blame H-D for unleasing this rape of reason upon us. But I blame all of the other me-too cruiser manufacturers more for helping to perpetuate it. Stop it! Jesus, some of us are actually paying attention.

Second: Tribal finish sport bikes. Horrible. Anyone ever notice that almost no one wants to buy custom painted sportbikes on the used market? Know why? Because they look like sh*t, that's why. And because the trailer trash that actually wants this stuff, wants to have their own "custom" (at least in the proper sense) identity reflected on their ride. Nevermind that their custom paint abomination looks a lot like the next squid's custom paint abomination. I'll give Honda credit for at least doing it in a subdued way with the charcoal against the black. Of course, that means that they won't sell enough of them to their intended audience. Next year, faux fur on the fairing.

The saddest part of all is that the new RC51 looks fantastic in it's new black and charcoal wardrobe (minus the tribal) and it gets absolutely no play because we've got to see and hear about this other crap.

Oh, and the VTX1800F restyle is a bit better than than the old one, if you like that sort of thing.

I'm better now.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2004, 07:25 AM   #32
pdad13
Founding Member

Default Re: Purple Motocross Pants & Duct Tape

Right on. Especially about the VTX concept bike.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:38 AM   #33
jfgilbert
Founding Member

Default Updated VTR

I went the route of pgrading my VTR with Race Tech suspension and Heli bars, but why? There is one that comes out of the factory with all that and a bigger tank, it's called a Multistrada. As a bonus, you get better mileage, it will keep its value better, and has no side fairings and radiators just waiting to crack when you will drop it.

I know, valve adjustments, BFD.
jfgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 07:59 AM   #34
ewok1
Founding Member

Default ooops

my fervor to be critical of honda blinded me to the facts. did i say i hate honda?
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:08 AM   #35
ewok1
Founding Member

Default tribal theme

good rant.

i have am 8 foot tall tribal painted plastic moose right outside my office window. it is hideous. it's some sort of fund raising deal for the town. i offered $100 to the foundation to move it away from my view of the lake. they refused.

a school foundation has all these moose in front of different businesses. all of them got vandalized except the tribal moose. i wonder if honda heard that story and decided to develop an anti theft/vandal proof bike?
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #36
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Stick with the DRZ kowalke. Street legal explorer bikes, and the versatility they possess, rule. Don't get me wrong the CRF would be cool, but only if you had plans for sanctioned enduro events. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #37
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Lame.

They continue to make $15000 VTX1800s when I can go buy a new 2003 for $8500. Dumb. Just stop production for a year to take care of the massive inventory problem.

Big Ruckus? Come on. Who's really going to buy that?

The Repsol replica would be cool if they still had Rossi. But they don't, and it isn't. Make a Gibernau replica instead- at least he's winning races, unlike the members of the Repsol team.

The flamed sportbikes would be cool if it was done properly, like the 2003 R1 with the red flames on black. This just looks like a compromised piece of crap. If you're going to make a custom-looking sportbike, make it with real flames, not some hackneyed flame-wing combination. As with most of their products lately, they are afraid to do anything different or original and are just copying the other Japanese manufacturers. The only innovaters lately seem to be Yamaha, Buell, and to a lesser extent Kawasaki.

Don't even get me started on the CBR600RR. They are so far behind with that bike that they'll never catch up unless they scrap it and start over from scratch. 9 lbs less still puts them at least 20lbs heavier than everyone else's 2004 models. Another heavy turd of a sportbike from Honda. They've completely wrecked the good image the CBR name used to have.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:13 AM   #38
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: tribal theme

The assault weapons ban is being removing this coming Monday. Perhaps your tribal moose would be good target practice?
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 08:15 AM   #39
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: tribal theme

Take it a step further. You can really add to the theft/vandalism deterrent by taking a baseball bat to your tank and fenders, take a ball peen hammer to your engine covers and take a carpet knife to the seat. Instant theft/vandalism deterrent.... hey wait a second...
Old 09-09-2004, 08:18 AM   #40
Tigercub
Founding Member

Default Re: Where's the 599?

Yup!
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote