Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-30-2004, 11:31 PM   #1
ulhpilot
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

I almost bought a FJR1300 sight unseen (because of the stupid way Yamaha decided to market the bike) and all I can say is I'm glad I didn't. It may be one of the best all around performers out there, but what good is a bike that is so ugly that you would get tired looking at it in about 20 minutes. Sorry, but the angular design concept is way over with, and does not stand up to the test of time. Give me some curves so in about 10 years I still like the looks if the bike holds up that long. I agree with the over engineered brakes being a problem with the R1150RT and here's hoping the R1200RT the problem is corrected.
ulhpilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2004, 12:47 AM   #2
eekadog
Founding Member

it feels like christmas...thanks for the new comparo.
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:24 AM   #3
saaz
Registered Member

Good test, seems more like a real world sports tourer test.

Funnily when I read the comments I think that the ST1100 (96 model) I got a week ago does not seem to have the faults identified in the ST1300..although I suppose in comparison the power may be less.

A good test is what will they be like in 100,000 kms? I am interested cos that is probably when I may buy one of these bikes, but the ST will probably still be going strong.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:19 AM   #4
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Triumph stiff clutch ?

Did any of the testers think that the Triumph clutch was uncomfortable ? That is about the only complaint I ever hear about it. Good review, worth the wait, glad to finally find out how those Beamer brakes feel ... not too good from the sounds of it.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:53 AM   #5
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

Great write up guys, seems that you guys almost had an adventure, but where adult enough to hold Ebass back (salt peter in his beer?)

The problem with ST shootouts is, as allways, getting the reviewers to remove themselves from their usual comfort zone of sport or touring. None of these bikes are a sport bike, none are a true touring rig, but a compromise. As such it allways goes to the subjective.

I appreiciate the hard work, and long days in the saddle you guys did (no I don't I'm jealous).

My $0.02, the Kaw ZZR looks the best, but thats me.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:20 AM   #6
Haird
Founding Member

Intersting that the R1150RT did so well despite its much less powerful engine. Very nice, balanced, writeup.
Haird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:34 AM   #7
Mooner
Founding Member

Excellent write up. But how would the......oh, never mind. I'm quite sure there will be enough of that without me chiming in.
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:37 AM   #8
maladg
Registered Member

Fine job and an entertaining read.

Looks like which one is best you me depends on how and where I'll ride. Having said that and being a bit partial to BMW's, I just don't get the servo and aggressive linking thing on the brakes. Seems like a comprehensive answer to a question I did not ask. (for another negative opinion on BMW brakes - see current issue of MCN - R12GS test)

Thanks again, MO. No wonder it too so long. This must have taken tons of work to complete. Thanks!
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 03:43 AM   #9
GogglesPaisano
Founding Member

Default www.whitetrash.com

It's nice to see after all these years that www.whitetrash.com is still the MO mirror site...

-=Goggles=-
GogglesPaisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:19 AM   #10
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

The ZZR1200's last place finish almost endears me to it. I'm a sucker for last place comparo finishers that have monster motors. It's a set of Heli-Bars and a rear shock away from being as good as I would want it. It's a bargain right now, and after finishing last, will be a better bargain in the showroom. Yamaha needs to get their head out of their butts with the way they sell the FJR. I dont' care how nice a bike is. I won't buy a bike I can't see or ride first.