Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-06-2004, 01:27 PM   #301
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's how

Buzz, I also own a 1982 GS1100GK and the primary shaft gear on the rear wheel stripped on me while on the 2nd day of a 3 day ride. It left me 320 miles from home. Luckily, I was able to get a ride home with another rider. The replacement part only cost me $110 and I did the job myself. I actually thought about that while deciding on buying the ZZR with a chain since I was unlucky enough to have a shaft fail!!!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #302
tzima
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

I agree! Do over!
tzima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:58 AM   #303
anrajala
Founding Member

Whadds thiz, speed, power/speed class you are talking about? Lets not mix up power (hp) and torque (lb-ft) my son. I know there are lots of you red line revvers out there but I am too manly for that sort of thing (ngngngn)

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 02:29 PM   #304
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: terrific write up ...

Uh... NO you wouldn't. Trust Me.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:52 PM   #305
RANuccio
Founding Member

I own a 2004 FJR1300 that I bought the day after I accepted a new job in CA (living and riding then in RI). "Bought" in this case meaning calling up several dealers sight unseen near my new job in the Valley and putting down the $500 deposit. I had never seen the bike in the flesh before taking delivery in July 2003. So why so rash a decision? 1. I had ridden the "classic" bikes, a BMW 1200 and 1150RT at BMW ridder demos and found them very disappointing: the RT surged madly trying to hold a steady speed and vibrated a lot under hard acceleration; the 1200 was smooth, but the throttle was so stiff and the riding position too leaned forward. 2. I had also ridden a Ducati ST4S. Pounding ride and pressure on my wrists for just 30 miles at a demo was also more than I could take. 3. My previous, "learner" bike was a Bandit 600 that I had enjoyed a lot and also crashed twice (at very low speed) because of wheel lockup on freshly painted street crossings. So ABS was VERY important to me. 4. I had a Scott oiler on my Bandit but still disliked the occasional adjustment needed (and carrying spare oil on long rides). So shaft drive was also VERY important. 5. Going from the little Bandit to the Honda was too big a jump for me. I know its weight doesn't show itself underway, but I found the idea of pushing it past parked cars and maneuvering it around the driveway intimidating coming from the Bandit. As it turns out, I have to park the FJR in front of my wife's Beemer and my Pilot in an underground garage and the 1300 never would have fit.

After a year and some small changes to the FJR I'm very pleased. I added a taller windscreen because even the 04 screen left my 6'2" head buffeted in the wind. I added some bar risers because of wrist pressure (and on longer rides I still wish for a little more of the RT's upright position). I'm most disappointed in something not even mentioned in the comparo that appears nearly everywhere else: engine vibration at around 4000 rpm, where nearly all 4s vibrate. After an hour or two at constant freeway speeds (80 mph + in normal CA non-clogged traffic) I have numbness in my hands that lasts for some time after I'm off the bike and worries me about long term effects. Syncing hasn't done the trick so far; gel wraps for tennis rackets added to the grips helped a little. I still think the RT looks fantastic and turn my head whenever one passes, but like the FJR better than any of the others (at least in the silver of the 04s).

I have to say I'm also disappointed in the comparo doing nothing to test the effectiveness of the ABS other than complaining about its use in "normal" conditions. How about some panic stops; wet roads; uneven surfaces? I've triggered the pulsing of the FJR a couple of times and considered the ABS a good investment for my aging body. They're not linked like the Beemers. But maybe there are reasons why Honda and BMW do link theirs, so why not devise a test to see? Frankly, for most of us buying these bikes it would be more important than the dyno runs.

I'm a "sensible" (i.e., older) rider and don't test the limits of the bike. But I love the rush of acceleration when jumping on the freeway or taking advantage of small passing zones on our wonderful rural CA roads. And when I'm lane-splitting on the 101 I appreciate being able to grab as much brake as needed without fear of lockup when someone combing their hair while talking on the cell phone decides to jump into the opening in the lane next to them. I'm sure the GSXrs passing me leaned over in curves dragging a knee on Angeles Crest highway are not impressed, but I'm only out to impress myself anyway. The FJR does that everytime I take off the cover.
RANuccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 12:26 PM   #306
Injin
Registered Member

What a great comparison. Although I own a 2004 BMWK1200GT (which is the best bike in my 22 years of riding), what it boils down to for me is the final product. The Jap bikes look, well, just too Jap. May as well buy a Corrolla! Although, I'm sure they are excellent machines.

Well done to MO for this great report, and even beter attention to the files / photos and dyno reports. I will be resubscribing next year!

Best wishes from Australia.

Ken.

06 BMW K1200 GT
47 Indian Chief (A REAL Indian!)
1922 Indian Powerplus (another REAL Indian)
Injin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 07:26 PM   #307
samurai01us
Founding Member

Default Re: Samurai vs. SeanAlexander

Of course you have.

I'll pass on the contest. I'd lose.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 02:23 PM   #308
designeraccd
Founding Member

I had a 2003 FJR, purchased in November and traded for a '02 BMW R1150GS early the next summer, once the air temps went up. In 50-60F weather the FJR was comfy, heatwise. Above 70F it got warm, above 80 it got HOT and above 90 I didn't bother. The FJR will easily outrun a ST in a straight line, but after having a ZX12R....whoopee.

I traded the GS this past Spring for a new '04 ST1300. Overall I like the ST better. Despite very limited suspension adjustments (to be nice about it) I find that I easily go 10+ mph faster through the same curves compared to what I did on my FJR. We took our annual ride down south in June and (with a Sargent saddle and bar risers) I found I could go considerably farther on the ST than I thought I would be able to. On the FJR (with Corbin and bar risers) @ 450 miles in a day was it. With the ST I can go @ 600.

However, the bike I ride the most is my '04 1200R Sportster...far more "character" than either the FJR or ST...at least for 200 miles of smiles! DFO
Old 10-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #309
designeraccd
Founding Member

Default Re: Heat

My ST kicks off far less heat than my turkey roastinn FJR did. We went as far south as Birmingham, AL (Barber Museum-fantastic!)in June and it was low 90s all that week....warm, but not unbearable like the FJR got when only in the 80s.
Old 10-18-2004, 01:13 PM   #310
Ian_Leadley
Registered Member

Default R1150RT did well - so would the R1150R

I'm not the least bit surprised. I have a naked R1150R that I've added the following to - Vario windscreen, hardbags, barbacks, peg lowerers, rear seat trunkbag. With those additions it is the best sport touring bike in the world - for the buck. Take the bags off and use a tank bag and its the best all rounder in the world. Thank God BMW made a practical bike for old dudes (53) like me.
Ian_Leadley is offline   Reply With Quote