Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-03-2004, 08:58 PM   #291
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Is a 35yr Old AMA "Pro Expert" licensed racer considered an "old guy" for the ST market? Cause I'm that guy and hardly consider the K1200RS to be more of a sportbike than an FJR (which has the same ground clearance and WAY more motor than an RS) I consider them both to be in the "Big, Heavy, Powerful" class and aimed at 40 and 50 something guys who want or need to sacrafice some nimbleness for legroom and a more relaxed ride. -Sean

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-04-2004, 04:00 AM   #292
gtburton
Registered Member

The K12 is not a sportbike in my opinion. It sport tours pretty well. The engine is actually about 13 years old and has been updated as you know. The K12 design is about 7 years old. The FJR is a more powerful motorcycle. It is lighter. Reported to have great suspension and should handle better than the K12. It does not. The same is said of the ST. I have been riding for 38 years and and I do not find these two new motorcycles better for me than the tired old K12. They are not revolutionary and only refine and copy the BMW design. I was in the market for both of these bikes. I wanted a more sport oriented sport touring bike. These bikes are surely what most people desire. They did not do it for me. The Ducati ST4 sure gets me going but I will not tour with a chain drive. So I am down for the new K1200S. I appreciate your response to my questions and jabs.
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 06:47 PM   #293
Marin_Cycleworks
Registered Member

This article, while completely different in style, is the closest thing we've ever seen in American motojournalism in spirit to the vastly higher quality stuff in Europe, specifically Performance Bike. Nearly all other US stuff, in the print mags at least, is the, "we saluted the flag, smiled at old ladies and kept the noise down" eunuch don't-*****-off-the- advertisers garbage.

Good job, MO.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 07:26 PM   #294
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

The Connie should have at least been mentioned... It has a lot going for it. I owned a '93. Thinking seriously about buying a brand new one. One of the best bargains in the 2 wheeler world if you ask me.
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:06 PM   #295
HarryMyhre
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's how

re: no updates

1) that's they keep the price down (same with their KLR 650)

2) great for when you want to buy aftermarket stuff. there's lots of stuff out there to choose from with the concours.
HarryMyhre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 02:13 AM   #296
rapier
Founding Member

I understand why price didn't enter into this comparison but in the real world price matters. I got my 02 ZZR with 2000 miles on it a year ago for $7200. I see a few used FJR's for sale on Cycle Trader, the low price being $9500.

I'd prefer an FJR probably, but it isn't worth $3000 more to me, an admittedly cheap bastard.

To be honest I don't need the 50 extra HP it has over the BMW twin, but I do need the extra $9000!!!

I actually think I could almost live with the Guzzi LeMans 70 HP but that's another story, as in not quite in the same class. Those are too expensive too.

I think I might end up with a V Strom someday.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:01 PM   #297
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Stop rambling like a retard! Please!
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:04 PM   #298
wheat
Founding Member

So what's this about the buzzy Kawasaki engine? I keep hearing that the FJR is a very effective hand numbing device...
wheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:08 AM   #299
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Samurai vs. SeanAlexander

Who wouldn't pay to see that match?

So here's the proposal...

Samurai and Dirty ride their bikes, chock full of gear, to an undisclosed camping location at opposite ends. Upon arrival, each dismantles various parts of their bikes, after which, each competitor heads off on foot in the direction of the other. Using guile and cunning, they devise traps for eachother so as to slow their opponent down. The object here would be how quickly can they get to eachother's bikes, reassemble them into working order, and then ride the others bike back into town. After reaching town, the competetion continues as each competitor must sit down at a computer and write a 1200 word bike review article. Computer sabotage is allowed.

Let's make this happen.

On a side note, in my own personal international pursuits, I have eaten from street vendors in India, drank the water in Mexico, paid for a salami sandwhich in Frankfurt, escaped from character-assassinating conservatives in law school, outran a caning in Singapore after flippantly refusing to queue for a taxi and breathed deeply the noxious fumes at a Malaysian bazaar.

Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:19 PM   #300
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Actually, I've replaced the voltage regulator and stator 2 times in the last 8 years. Each year I pick a component of the bike and either upgrade it, or replace it. I do love the bike though and my wife insists that I not part with it since she loves the huge back rest on the bike.

Good luck with yours!!!
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote