Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-31-2004, 06:41 AM   #21
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: HA!

"I'm 5-10 and it was just kind of buffety at speed."

I'm about the same size... Adjusting the windshield didn't fix this?

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2004, 06:51 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

The problem (at least for me) with the Honda's windshield is that it gets more vertical as you adjust it higher. The K1200 by comparison keeps the windwhield at the same angle as it goes higher.

The Honda shield went from laid back in low position to Harley-like bolt uprite in the up position.

The Honda was nice if you wanted to stand on the pegs to stretch your legs. You could raise the windshield to its billboard-like height and ride for miles standing up. Maybe that's an iron butt feature.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:54 AM   #23
burtonsimmons
Founding Member

Default Triumph Sprint ST to Reno

I took my Sprint ST to Reno from Portland (via the Bay Area) and was amazed at how it handled. The bike, for me, was amazingly comfortable (I'm 6'1") and left me with only a few points I'd improve:

1) Taller touring windscreen (these can be purchased seperately for pretty cheap, and install in like 5 minutes.)

2) Taller handlebars (I almost got bar risers before my trip but had to make some repairs first.)

3) A radio or GPS (can be added, I suppose...)

Most importantly...

4) A non-murder seat (I almost went to the Corbin HQ in SF, but had no $$$.)

And that's about it. I got between 42 and 45 MPG and had few problems keeping up with my buddy on his older FZR1000 (unless he REALLY decided to take off.)

Any complaints I had about my motorcycle are offset by the inherent value of the bike and the fact that with a few dollars more, everything is fixable, and would still cost less than the next most expensive bike.

Just so I'm not being negative, what I LOVE about my bike:

1) The triple motor. (Strong pull anywhere in the tach and a great sound.)

2) The styling. (Love the flowing lines - can't think of a better looking bike anywhere!)

3) The versatility. (Take the bags off and I can go hit the twisties. Or commute every day on it... works fine for me any way I want it.)

4) The insurance. (Through Allstate it was about 1/4 the price of insuring an Interceptor.)

And most of all:

5) I found something I like that, when I park it, isn't going to be lost in a sea of lookalike Akira-cycles.

(Oh, my 2000 mile trip was a blast... saw cars run off the road, a motorcycle accident, a bear, and a buncha cops. Had over $800 worth of damage done to my bike by various companies.)
burtonsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 06:58 AM   #24
mile_eater
Founding Member

That absolutely is an Iron-Butt feature! I'll bet we did 200 miles standing up... of course... we were on a zx-11 and cbr 1000f!
Old 08-31-2004, 07:01 AM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Sprint ST to Reno

I found the Triumph very similar to my Ducati ST4. I've put Helibars and a Sargent seat on the Duc and the seating position is much like the Triumph. I find the same attributes in my Duc that you find in the Triumph.

There were just some super comfy bikes in this test, and for the long haul, I think we all gravitated toward them.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 AM   #26
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

The ZZR came in second only to the Truimph on my straight "Fun to ride Ticket" on the basis of the beans. The thing will Check Out. I would have liked to have tried to sort out the rear suspension but thought at the time it was non-adjustable. The ergos and buzz didn't bother me and with your stable I doubt they would you. I'd spend my upgrade money on the seat.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:25 AM   #27
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Linked Brakes

I really think this system gets a bad rap. The way ya'll complain, I had to go out and check mine to make sure it was actually working. Sure enough, apply the back hard, and the front brake is applied...

Still... why is this a bad thing? I have a nasty rutty gravel alley behind my house, and I can ride the bike through it, using just the rear brake, and it never gets squirelly on me.

I know y'all get irritated with them, but man... these ain't racer boy bikes. I see 60 year-old men riding around on FJR's and ST's all the time.

Most people I know really don't know how to ride very well at all. They just aren't good enough to even need a rear brake. If they need to stop, they just grab a handfull of the front and pray.

There are a lot of bad riders out there... and a lot of mediocre to good riders who get careless... for them... the Linked Brakes are a danged good idea.

Wonder how much an on off switch would be?
Old 08-31-2004, 07:32 AM   #28
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Love Linked Brakes???

"But then again... I love linked-brakes... " I'll say I like them, but to say you "love linked brakes" implies you have yet to try bleeding them! When you have to lift the gas tank to access bleed valve #11 it cuts into the love your feel.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:35 AM   #29
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Wow, excellent review/comparo and story. I was laughing so hard at Eric's (mis)fortunes that I might get written up here at work.

Well done, Gentlemen. Thank you!

And Fonzie is a genius with the camera.
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 07:48 AM   #30
pushrod
Founding Member

Default Re: Triumph Sprint ST to Reno

BS,

I'm 6'0" (32" inseam), and had the GenMar risers on my Y2K ST. When the time came to put them on my '03 bike, I figured I'd try the bike for a while with the stock setup. I found I prefer the bars at their lower height.

I bought the Triumph Gel seat, which retails for $240, IIRC. MUCH more comfy than stock, but there is a problem. Don't park the bike in the sun. The Gel gets oyster-roasting hot, and it stays hot for quite a while. I have a ratty white (mostly) towel I use to cover the seat when I can't park in the shade. 'Course, I'm way down south on the Redneck Riviera, and the sun is a problem.

If you decide after all you want the risers, I've got a set for sale. HTH

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote