Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-03-2004, 07:39 AM   #281
GS1100GK
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's how

Buzz, I owned a 1999 Connie and just bought a 2004 ZZR1200, but I almost bought a 2005 Connie. I wasn't worried about sex appeal, I was looking at functionality. Heck, I was more concerned about owning a chain drive bike versus a shaft drive bike and whether the wind screen on the ZZR would keep the bugs and cold air at bay since I ride in the winter too.

I bought the ZZR for 3 reasons. First, I got a great deal on a 2004 model that was on the floor (seems not many people realize how great this bike is). Second, I was impatient and didn't want to wait for a 2005 Conniel to come in. Lastly, once I rode the ZZR I was intoxicated by the power of the engine!

All that said, I keep trying to "Connieize" the think by adding a full set of luggage and taller wind screen.

Hey, you wouldn't know how to replace a chain with a shaft would you?))))

GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-03-2004, 08:20 AM   #282
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's how

Modern chains are so good and require very little maintenance that the appeal of the drive shaft is somewhat lost on me.

My bud's Connie had the shaft fail and luckily he was able to find a replacement part in a junkyard or else it would have cost him a fortune.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:54 AM   #283
TatdNPrcd
Founding Member

Default Well said.

Of course I still think "Rider" is worth the $12/yr too.
TatdNPrcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:27 PM   #284
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Longer test

Perhaps a longer trip would have given us more time to evaluate the bikes but there are practical considerations also.

Dale, Pete and me are not paid employees of MO. We took time off from our jobs/families and volunteered to do the test just for the chance to ride some of these.

Had we done a week or ten days on the road I wouldn't have been able to do it. And don't you agree my opinions are the most important??? lol
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:46 PM   #285
samurai01us
Founding Member

Default Re: Longer test

Good point. And yes, I do think your opinions are the most important.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 12:49 PM   #286
samurai01us
Founding Member

Default Re: What does one have to do with the other?

You betcha. But only if you can get me hooked up with a good son or salsa band. I have a factory sponsorship from the Toca drum company, which netted me a great set of congas. And, I think Celia Cruz is still the reigning queen, alive or not.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 02:28 PM   #287
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Go ahead and take your torque chart to Bike Night to impress your friends but stay away from ZZR guys because in any straight line contest of speed on the street ZZR's eat "Yammie" FJR's for breakfast, Bigtime. Don't feel bad I can only think of a handful of bikes in it's Power/Speed class stock, the FJR isn't close.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #288
gtburton
Registered Member

For old guys.
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 03:23 PM   #289
gtburton
Registered Member

And at Deals Gap the only way to get across it quick on the FJR and the ST is to straighten it out. Those bikes are far behind compared to the K12 or any of the other bikes in your comparo. I just do not get it. These two bikes are more for the open road. They are great on the Blueridge. They are not great on 215, that crosses over the Blueridge.
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:34 PM   #290
Wambo
Founding Member

I still think the Triumph should have won-who could resist that sound or handling?
Wambo is offline   Reply With Quote