Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-02-2004, 05:10 AM   #251
rhust
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Good info - and thanks for not just flaming, but putting in good advice! I understand that a comparo can't possibly tell you which bike is right for you. I've just wonered why Beemers cost so much when they're usually underpowered (how fast DO you want to go), heavy (and keeps a better line because of it) and chock full of doohickies you need to read the owner's manual twice to figure out (what is THAT button for?). My current bike was never really in a comparo of any kind, but I've done 400+ mile days (in stock form) and it seems to do everything I want/need really well without being too much or too little and any areas - and gets 50mpg to boot! I'd rather have a good, all-arounder than the fastest, most uncomforatable, or slowest and most comfortable. Glad you found a bike you love that FITS - not an easy thing and one most people overlook.
rhust is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2004, 05:24 AM   #252
samurai01us
Founding Member

Default Re: What does one have to do with the other?

I envy you, my friend. I never was able to spend a whole month on the road. I'll bet there are things you could add to the experience that others, including me, wouldn't know. Isn't it cool that no one can ever take that time away from you. It can't be repossessed, disqualified or annulled. It's yours forever. So tell me more about it.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:04 AM   #253
nbyers
Registered Member

Default A little late with that

Hypno, you are soooooooooo late to that discussion. The only bike here compares to the ST4 is the Triumph, which had to represent the entire breed of sport oriented tourers. And that was on purpose. Read the article, will ya?

ST4, Triumph, VFR, Futura, used CBR1000F with hard bags is a different comparo.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 07:08 AM   #254
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

Maybe, you never know.

I would rather ride something like a Warrior (or a Confederate, if I win the Lottery) when I get older. Sport Tourers are nice, but boring for me. Cruisers, although functionally not as versatile as a sport-tourer, possess some kind of cool factor that sport tourers never will.

Old 09-02-2004, 07:10 AM   #255
motozark
Registered Member

I had a 1986 K100rs and put 300,000 KMs on. It did not require a valve adjustment the last 5 years I owned it. Thats when you get the money back for those early expensive valve jobs.
motozark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 AM   #256
pkbrown
Registered Member

I'm just hoping they'll drop the new boxer engine from the 1200GS into an RT. That should give it a little extra oomph!!
pkbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 09:06 AM   #257
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

No! Why don't you make us!

Poo Poo Head
Old 09-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #258
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: What does one have to do with the other?

What does isolation from the elements and others have to do with the ability to evaluate a motorcycle or the credibility of a test of Sport Tourers? When you were taking an impromptu field geology lesson, was the bike idling underneath you, or just parked nearby? Would your ability to understand and evaluate that motorcycle have been any different, if that motorcycle was parked in a hotel parking lot, instead of a camp site?

I was a U.S. Army light infantryman for six years and have done more than a little camping in my life. As a civilian, I have done multi day, muddy, rainy, dual sport camping as well as camped from the back of a street bike. I don't think any of that adds to my ability to evaluate motorcycles. -Sean
Old 09-02-2004, 10:15 AM   #259
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default And Reno kinda was like camping

or a 24/7 COPS episode.

I can't remember which.......
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 10:40 AM   #260
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Yes it is.