Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #241
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: Heat

I ride a K1200GT '03', the leftside is warm but not worth going on about. Could the differences between individual bikes same model be that great?
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #242
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: www.whitetrash.com

Hey whazz up...went to Folsom to score some crack, it ain't on hwy 80!!!! It's on hwy 50. It's a uppity yuppie town!!!! You were lost mannn.
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #243
apwired
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

We thought about getting the MO intern to ride ***** for the lenght of the trip - swapping with bikes and riders along the way.... for journalistic reports of the pillion ride... however, since the intern was a dude and he wouldn't loan us his sister, we had to do without. We'll hope to do better next time guys - send MO your leftovers, we'll get them directed to EB right away for stoarge... -fonzie
apwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #244
samurai01us
Founding Member

Default Re: What does one have to do with the other?

Hopefully everyone can chill out long enough for me to explain. From the early 70's to the mid 80's, there was a great magazine called "Road Rider." It was devoted to motorcycle touring, and the minimal mileage they would put on a test bike was 4,000 miles. They finally lost out to the onslaught of diminishing attention spans, and the video game mentality that seemed to take over the motorcycling industry. If you've never enjoyed the experience of spending a week on the road, skillfully packing everything you'll need to exist on the bike, and lingering in the philosophy that the ride is as important as the destination, then you're missing out on a whole different level of motorcycling.

Charging out of town for a self-indulgent weekend in a hotel only tells half the story, particularly when you rate the touring qualities of a bike with a checklist mentality. I learned that in the late seventies, when I took a week long, 3,000 mile trip on a 650 Yamaha. The motorcycling press unilaterally declared the bike wouldn't qualify as a touring mount, and they were wrong. After a couple of days on the road, I realized something: I was enjoying the bike every bit as much as the location. I also realized something else: every bike has a soul, like a classic book, and the only way to discover that soul is to really live with it. During the eighties, I road a 900F Honda, which the biking press endorsed as an outstanding sport touring rig. In that case, they were right. However, the point here is that it only matters so much what any journalist says about a bike, if they only take the experience to a surface level. Road Rider was one of the few publications that made riding an adventure, even relating the campground experiences in such a way that almost made you feel like you were there with them. Today's touring mags are great, with great articles on destinations, but the mounts still seem to be a simple means to an end. At least MO does a better job than Cycle World, who can't resist using the term "track times" even when rating cruisers.

Essentially, we're all missing out when moto-journalists have forgotten the joys of motorcycle camping: hanging out with your partners at the campsite after a day's ride; sharing a cup of coffee with the people you just met in the campsite; taking in a massive sky, with countless stars draped across it, just before you call it a night. And most importantly, finding that soul that exists deep within the bike, that can't be inventoried by a quick trip out of town. That's why bikes like the Electra Glide, the Concours ( and the ST1100) are so well loved; they bring out the pleasures of the ride, in spite of the fact that not all of them will ever win a comparison. In the final outcome, it's the rider that determines whether a bike has the particular kind of soul that suits him/her. However, if the moto-journalists would just take the time, take their touring tests to that level, we'd all be much better qualified to make that decision.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #245
samurai01us
Founding Member

Actually, I believe your experiences DO give you credibility. You've "been there/done that," so to speak. So when you say "... what would be the difference?" It carries more weight.

But, if you say the only difference between camping and hotel hopping the amount of crap you had to carry, I have to respectfully disagree. A hotel room isolates you from the elements, and from others. I remember a great ride I took across Utah, when I stayed at a great campground in Ely, Nevada. I met a couple of geologists who had just spent some field time preparing for their doctorates. I didn't know squat about geology, so I had a great time learing about it from a couple of pretty cool guys. This is only one of hundreds like it that are part of a sweet memory, and I'm not ashamed to say it beats hanging out in local bars, buzzing around bar flies.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:56 PM   #246
zootsuit
Founding Member

Hey, guys, if I can't take your editorial decisions seriously, I can't take your motorcycle decisions seriously, either.

What's with the adolescent tone of the sport-touring comparo? Did someone tell you to up your appeal among the 12-16 set? Those pull-quotes and the whole tone of the story was just plain dumb. Dumb. And, by the way, it's obvious that you're *not* 12 or 16 or anywhere close.

Cut it out, willya?

zootsuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:13 PM   #247
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Latigo and Decker Canyons are extremely tight and twisty. In fact, Latigo is much steeper than Deal's Gap and has almost as many corners per mile.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:42 AM   #248
SRMark
Founding Member

Gotta go with the ST1300. One look at the torque curves shows a smoothly flowing supply of "forward". The other bikes' curves look like they came off of a seismograph. No wonder the ST is able to cruise so effortlessly up to 100. It's getting a wee bit pricey though. I'd replace my ST1100 with the Triumph if they fixed it up a bit. STs are rather soulless beasts and hard to get excited about looking at them sitting in the parking. Fortunately, you don't have to look at the bike when you ride it.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 03:54 AM   #249
Hypno
Founding Member

So what happened? You guys had a bad plate of linguine? Ducati ST4 ...helllllloooooooooooooooooo?

Anybody home. Ducati the real sport in sport tours.... DESMO Perfection! 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout as compared to what?
Hypno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 04:24 AM   #250
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Actually my first round the US of A trip was on a Suzuki GS650GZ. A bike that turned out to be exceptional as a light weight touring bike. Straped my backpack to the rear seat and took off. One of the all time best months of my life.

God I wish I had the time to do it again.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote