Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2004, 12:41 PM   #231
nbyers
Registered Member

Default Sporty Touring

A couple of years ago a motorcycle publication that shall remain nameless (but has become too conservatively managed to retain our beloved johnnyb) did a comparo with three sport-tourers at the track to see just how much we give up to the "tour" part of the compromise.

There was a 996 and ST4s, for instance.

Looking at the statistics, there was little performance difference for the less-than-gifted among us.

So maybe we should all be riding ST4's or Futuras.

rmx, your post makes my brain fire out two tangentially related thoughts.

First, the level of performance of a modern sport bike is phenomenal. You ought to spend a week with a modern literbike (or maybe the GSXR 750) not just to appreciate how oh-my-God fast they are above 7000 rpm, but how light, and how small, and how precise they are. Not to mention how cheap. It's like you could buy a Ferrari Enzo for the price of a Hyundai.

After that, go back to your ST. At first, it would seem incredibly large and heavy and slow. But of course it's the tool of choice the next time you want to ride more than 400 miles in a day.

So the solution, of course, is to have a stable. Hey, Sean, here's a story idea--what would the MOrons ultimate four-bike stable be? We could start with Buz or Big James because, well, they've already got four bikes.

Second, every time I take a ride this summer, FAR AND AWAY (like 80%) most of the bikes I see are the much-reviled, slow, anti-"performance", anachronistic Harleys. Not sport tourers, not Gold Wings, not sport bikes. Hell, I rarely see a Blackbird or a Hayabusa, which are intended to go distances although those may just be going too fast to be seen.
nbyers is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #232
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: call me Gort

Klaatu Barata Nicto.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:09 PM   #233
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Hey, the BMW foot roaster option would be a handy item for warming up convenience store hot dogs, keeping coffee warm, baking bread and stuff. All while doing an Edelweiss tour. Clever, those krauts.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #234
rapier
Founding Member

I've had a ZZR for a year and being such a fair minded guy I don't really begrudge the last place finish for it.

It is kind of funny that Kawi can never, at least till the new ZX10, hit the nail on the head in the camparo game. The ZX9 and ZX11 were always last place in sport comparos, untill the 11 wasn't even included, because they were too comfy and mild. Now they missed the touring part of the equation by being too sporty with the ZZR.

The cure for the buzz is keep it above 5000rpm. I'm moving up a tooth on the rear sprocket probably. Since the mileage sucks anyway it doesn't make much difference, and besides, it's more fun. On the mileage it was a shame they didn't get EFI on the thing and at least the early ones were carborated terribly.

The downside to the ZZR include a high incidence of cam pitting (galling really), head shake, occasional bad heads that leaked coolant in early editions, some blown main fuses and electrical glitches. In other words not up to Kawis normal bulletproof norm. I've had none of these problems on my 02, now with 14K miles. (well I did have a bit of headshake but proper setup fixed it)

Buy on used one cheap. Get an high end rear shock and an extended warrantee. Go like stink. Really the CBR XX is the closest comparo and that thing has high pegs which makes it an impossible mile maker for me. I did a 5500 mile tour on the ZZR this summer. No problem.

rapier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #235
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Oh, I'm not saying that 80 ft. lbs is anything to sneeze at. It's a hell of a lot. I just don't understand how a bike with 10 less ft-lbs torque and 10 less horsepower at a given rpm is faster. I suppose that weight has to have something to do with it, as well as gearing and how quickly it revs. I'm not saying I don't believe you- you've ridden both bikes, and I've ridden only one, so I have to trust your evaluation. I'm just not used to quantifiable numbers directly contradicting real world testing results. Usually they're somewhat related, but apparently this isn't one of those cases.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:53 PM   #236
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Linked Brakes

*Unrelated anti-LBS rant*

I remember reading a test years ago in one of the British mags of the naked CBR1100, which featured linked brakes. They actually crashed it once in a downhill turn by locking the front brake when they tried to apply the rear brakes (they never touched the front brake lever). Scary.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:55 PM   #237
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

They believe there is no market... because there isn't. They're in the business to make money. If there really is a market for these then someone will fill it.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM   #238
gtburton
Registered Member

The K12RS and GT do not have heat issues or electrical fires. I suppose anything could happen but those statements are not fact. I have amassed over 70000 miles on a K12RS. I have replaced a clutch at 70000 that was not slipping and replaced the rear engine seal because we were there. I am involved with many owners of K12s. There are very few problems. The K12LT has had a few problems. Some are pretty serious. I also seem to recall some pretty serious goldwing probs too. So the bigger and more complex the machine.....
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 04:38 PM   #239
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

Ha you might be right!! But in a couple of years all of these 25 year old's with sport bikes may find a girlfriend or wife. They may want to go somewhere together via the twisties. I can't see them riding peg dragging cruiser's or sofa chair touring bike's! Heck this old cafe racer and others are who started the US "Sport Touring" bike market. The next batch of sport rider's is much larger, so maybe...

By-the-way great review MO
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:01 PM   #240
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: That was fun.

You just reminded me of a friend of mine. He was one of the first in our little group to wear the Bell full face. He lost it in a turn on Hwy 120 on the way to Yosemite. Man he looked good at his funeral, first time we'd been to a "open casket" funeral for a biker.
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote