Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2004, 10:36 AM   #221
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

What I'm trying to say is: When you ride the FZ-6 and 599 back-to-back it is the 599 that impresses, while the FZ-6 feels slower and requires more work to ride fast. That is [/i]NOT[/i] the case with the ZZR. In use, it is every bit as flexible and quite a bit quicker than an FJR.

Aside from # of cylinders, the only thing the ZZR and FZ-6 have in common is some annoying buzz in the pegs and bars.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 10:41 AM   #222
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Trust me on this Cap'n

The ZZR caused the "stupid chuckle inside the helmet syndrome" every time the throttle was cracked.

The FZ-6 did not.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #223
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

I still don't understand. I'll have to ride a ZZR for myself. Hopefully they'll have one at the next event I go to.

Old 09-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #224
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

No these bikes are not "sport bikes", not "touring bikes", they're not a compromise bike! They are "Sport Touring Bikes" a class of their own! Until us American's realize this, Yamaha will continue to sell them in the States like "Bike Nazis". Nine you can not test drive bike!! You must pay first!! Thenz you can have in onez year!!! Now gett out you swine!!

And we won't get the best of the rest of them because they know we don't know what they are. Most of the manufactures believe there is no market in the US for "Sport Touring class bike's".
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #225
gtburton
Founding Member

I see your point based on my comment. I have been out west many times and relly enjoy the roads and scenery. I do not know all the roads. The roads are in general not as tight as in the Smokys or say West Va. However, they seem much faster. I recall beartooth pass as very twisty and similar to my experience close to my home. I would not choose an ST or FJR as a mountain bike. No one I know who has one is very impressive in the mountains of NC. The K12 is no sportbike but holds up much better IMHO. Also a set of Ohlins make a big difference.
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #226
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default That was fun.

now i am bored again, what's next? i suggest an interview with the person at kawasaki who designed/ and or signed off on z750 fairing "Americano." I was actually thinking i could own one of those til i saw the jc whitney ***** on it. I am serious. what gives?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:14 AM   #227
gtburton
Founding Member

You have made my point for me. The FJR is not the kind of bike that lends itself to agressive coenering. None of my FJR buddies can keep up on a tight mountain road. Why? because they keep touching down. The ST1300 is worse. I have never ground a shift lever on the K12. I know some people have. Some people can tear up a hammer. I am 180 lbs. I do not ride with side cases. I am no speed demon but I do use all my tire. I have ridden and owned lots of different mcs. The K12 is not perfect and the FJR may be a better ride in many ways. I just get tired of hearing about it being a great sport tourer. It ain't.
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:24 AM   #228
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

There isn't much to understand. The ZZR will walk away from the FJR at any rpm in any gear. At low revs in a tall gear the bikes will be pretty close, but the ZZR is still the victor. It is true that the ZZR has less torque than the FJR, but the ZZR still has a mountain of torque any time you want to use it.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:37 AM   #229
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: That was fun.

Maybe you could find a leftover Vetter "Wingjammer" fairing with adjustable windshield and eagles wings.

That would look pretty sweet on the 750, no?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 11:46 AM   #230
johnnyb
Founding Member

Default Re: That was fun.

one of those original Bell full face helmets where the face shield doesn't go up would look good too. like something out of the day the Earth Stood Still. yick man. Steer me back toward beloved Buell...

i always wanted to track down the person at bmw who came up with their turn signals too, corner him like a wild ferret and get the truth out... some shrivelled little engineer whose dad was very high up in the Party no doubt...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote