Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2004, 09:06 AM   #211
Aspendreamer
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

I ride a 2004 BMW 1150RT (with a Sirius Satt. Radio and SGT seat), and I LOVE my bike. i also have a 2002 Honda VFR800 which I am quite fond of, however, on an Iron Butt day, I think the RT is the best bike out there (especially for a tall guy who makes the most of the adjustable seating height). THE RT may be slightly lacking in HP but it does handle like a dream. The RT is also very stable at 3 digit speeds. Second, in the shoot out? Well only because the brakes and the HP. With a few more horses and an ABS system (like the VFR800's) the RT would be pretty close to perfect.
Aspendreamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 09:08 AM   #212
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Exactly!
Old 09-01-2004, 09:18 AM   #213
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

How come you guys did not ride the beartooth pass highway? That is a fair test.

As opposed to Latigo Canyon, Mullholland Drive, Decker Canyon, Hwy 33, Lockwood Valley Road, and several nice roads radiating out from Lake Tahoe?

One more nice twisty road wouldn't have effected the outcome of this test. -Sean
Old 09-01-2004, 09:25 AM   #214
chadhargis
Founding Member

Having ridden with several KRS jockeys and seen the damage the KRS takes from dragging it's brake lever and worst yet, it's shift lever, I wouldn't say it was the king of ground clearance.

I've had my FJR for just over a year, and I don't find any issues with clearance as long as you use proper body position and keep the bike up on it's suspension while using proper lines. Sure, if you come in hot, chop the throttle, and lean the bike underneath you while your body stays upright, you can drag the pegs to a point. But get you rear end off the seat a bit, and it corners just fine.
chadhargis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:19 AM   #215
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Wouldn't the same logic apply to the FZ-6 vs. 599 motor? The 599, like the FJR, spots the FZ-6 some horsepower up top and revs slower, but has an advantage in torque and midrange horsepower, and MO picked it for exactly that reason. I guess I don't understand how that wouldn't be the case here as well (not like it matters that much).
Old 09-01-2004, 10:21 AM   #216
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Yes, but not by itself. The magazines normally only drag it out when they want to compare something to it.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:24 AM   #217
rmx303
Founding Member

In MO's own poll 32% of the respondents said they prefer Sport Touring rides. Based on the small percentage of the market these bikes have I wonder if that is accurate for the market as a whole or just indicative of MO's membership.

Interesting that the #1 preference is sport tourers, but I share the road with very few of them. Where is the disconnect between what people say they want and what they buy? I think it is between the ears..what the brain says they reasonably should ride and what the ego says they want to be seen on. My ST will perform way better than the law and my ability will allow and that gives me great comfort and performance whenever I ride the rockies for 400-500 miles a day.

The good news for those of us who ride this type of bike is that recently there seems to be much more interest in them. That was sure the case this weekend at the Cyclefest in Copper Mountain, CO.
rmx303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 10:25 AM   #218
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Here's how

But ahead of the VFR or SV650!
Old 09-01-2004, 10:32 AM   #219
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Because the 599 wil SPANK the FZ-6 in almost every instance. The FJR won't be spanking a ZZR any time soon.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #220
gtburton
Registered Member

Not to argue but I think 70000 miles means I know this bike in any config. This is also a fact. My buddies who keep up well in the Smokies and West Va. on their sportbikes have lots of trouble on their STs and the one FJR we ride with. The same thing aplies to me when I ride these mini goldwings. They are great bikes but they are not the same all around bikes the K12 or the RT is.

gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote