Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM   #201
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: If we only knew....

Who says H-D isn't a company dedicated to sound engineering?

Cigar lighter indeed!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 09:27 AM   #202
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's how

The difference is you can't buy a used H-D for half the price of a new one.

I've got nothing against the Concours however I've got enough miles on all these bikes now to know it would have finished last in this test.

I picked the Triumph last in this test and I really liked it-just not as much as the others.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:29 AM   #203
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Thats the 2nd time I've seen you make that comment. Just curious, exactly how many miles did you put on a connie? Was it yours? Borrowed? Personally I've put almost 190K on one, and found the suspension fine (after adjustment and oil change), and found the fairing wings to be functional. As for no torque below 6000, not compared to a 1200cc vtwin, but more than needed in real world situations.

And if a functional, quality motorcycle, that does not get BNG, or 0.0001% performance increase needs to die, then bu-bye to alot of other bike, and hello to a colder motorcycling world.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #204
rmx303
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Great comparo...I felt like I was there and the real world comparisons were based on experiences I could relate to. Most reviews/comparos of this type of bike are written by testers who will only ride a sport-tourer when forcefully dragged off their crotch rocket.

However, there was one glaring omission that may have altered the results. There were no comments from a pillion rider!! From my own experience on my '03ST and the reviews I have read from some British magazines which test drove these bikes on the continent two-up there was a clear winner and it was the ST over the FJR. I really like the FJR but if the intent is to ride two-up for extended periods then this aspect of these bikes needs to be carefully checked out. EBass needed to haul one of his groupies out of the bar and onto the bikes for a complete comparo!
rmx303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:39 AM   #205
nokneedragin
Founding Member

As for the new/used arguement, thats allways a personal choice. Some of use will allways buy a used bike with the arguement that its not dated enough to warrant the additional outlay of cash for new; others will prefer to know that a company is standing behind the product for a certain time limit to give them peace of mind.

So it doesn't matter that a 4 year old connie sells for half the price of a new one, or a 4 year old Vmax for that matter. The individual will make that desicion as to what is right for them.

As for HDs not being half the price of new, I have never understood paying more for an unknown customizing job on a used bike than you would for a new, that you can customize yourself. For that matter, I don't understand dropping trousers for any dealer (hopefully a HD trait that is gone now)
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:50 AM   #207
squidly51
Founding Member

So, did anyone get vinnie's phone number?

squidly51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 09:55 AM   #208
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Because the Kawasaki will walk from the FJR ar any RPM in any situation. It may not have the torque peak of the FJR, but it revs quicker and a couple thousand RPM higher, while being saddled to a lighter and more efficient drivetrain. "Best Motor" doesn't mean which motor would do the most work on a test bench, it means which motor impresses the rider the most when actually riding in the company of the other bikes. That motor is clearly belongs to the ZZR. -Sean
Old 09-01-2004, 10:01 AM   #209
Buzglyd
Founding Member

A friend of mine owned two of them, a '86 and a '94 I believe. On road trips we used to swap so he could ride my H-D or Ducati and I could ride the Connie. I would say I've got more than just a trip around the block on them.

The bike works fine and is totally competant. It's just totally lacking in sex appeal and yes it is down on torque compared to some of the new Sport Tourers. You know how it feels at 6000 rpm. It goes from *****cat to howling Kawasaki.

I'm sticking to my guns. It would have finished last in this test.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:04 AM   #210
Buzglyd
Founding Member

We're arranging for Ebass and Vinnie to conduct a pillion test on all these bikes.