Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 09-01-2004, 02:47 PM   #201
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Oh, I'm not saying that 80 ft. lbs is anything to sneeze at. It's a hell of a lot. I just don't understand how a bike with 10 less ft-lbs torque and 10 less horsepower at a given rpm is faster. I suppose that weight has to have something to do with it, as well as gearing and how quickly it revs. I'm not saying I don't believe you- you've ridden both bikes, and I've ridden only one, so I have to trust your evaluation. I'm just not used to quantifiable numbers directly contradicting real world testing results. Usually they're somewhat related, but apparently this isn't one of those cases.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2004, 02:53 PM   #202
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: Linked Brakes

*Unrelated anti-LBS rant*

I remember reading a test years ago in one of the British mags of the naked CBR1100, which featured linked brakes. They actually crashed it once in a downhill turn by locking the front brake when they tried to apply the rear brakes (they never touched the front brake lever). Scary.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:55 PM   #203
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

They believe there is no market... because there isn't. They're in the business to make money. If there really is a market for these then someone will fill it.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #204
gtburton
Founding Member

The K12RS and GT do not have heat issues or electrical fires. I suppose anything could happen but those statements are not fact. I have amassed over 70000 miles on a K12RS. I have replaced a clutch at 70000 that was not slipping and replaced the rear engine seal because we were there. I am involved with many owners of K12s. There are very few problems. The K12LT has had a few problems. Some are pretty serious. I also seem to recall some pretty serious goldwing probs too. So the bigger and more complex the machine.....
gtburton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 05:38 PM   #205
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: sniff..sniff...sob...no connie...sniff

Ha you might be right!! But in a couple of years all of these 25 year old's with sport bikes may find a girlfriend or wife. They may want to go somewhere together via the twisties. I can't see them riding peg dragging cruiser's or sofa chair touring bike's! Heck this old cafe racer and others are who started the US "Sport Touring" bike market. The next batch of sport rider's is much larger, so maybe...

By-the-way great review MO
mikedard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 06:01 PM   #206
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: That was fun.

You just reminded me of a friend of mine. He was one of the first in our little group to wear the Bell full face. He lost it in a turn on Hwy 120 on the way to Yosemite. Man he looked good at his funeral, first time we'd been to a "open casket" funeral for a biker.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM   #207
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: Heat

I ride a K1200GT '03', the leftside is warm but not worth going on about. Could the differences between individual bikes same model be that great?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:37 PM   #208
mikedard
Founding Member

Default Re: www.whitetrash.com

Hey whazz up...went to Folsom to score some crack, it ain't on hwy 80!!!! It's on hwy 50. It's a uppity yuppie town!!!! You were lost mannn.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:53 PM   #209
apwired
Founding Member

We thought about getting the MO intern to ride ***** for the lenght of the trip - swapping with bikes and riders along the way.... for journalistic reports of the pillion ride... however, since the intern was a dude and he wouldn't loan us his sister, we had to do without. We'll hope to do better next time guys - send MO your leftovers, we'll get them directed to EB right away for stoarge... -fonzie
apwired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2004, 08:45 PM   #210
samurai01us
Founding Member

Default Re: What does one have to do with the other?

Hopefully everyone can chill out long enough for me to explain. From the early 70's to the mid 80's, there was a great magazine called "Road Rider." It was devoted to motorcycle touring, and the minimal mileage they would put on a test bike was 4,000 miles. They finally lost out to the onslaught of diminishing attention spans, and the video game mentality that seemed to take over the motorcycling industry. If you've never enjoyed the experience of spending a week on the road, skillfully packing everything you'll need to exist on the bike, and lingering in the philosophy that the ride is as important as the destination, then you're missing out on a whole different level of motorcycling.

Charging out of town for a self-indulgent weekend in a hotel only tells half the story, particularly when you rate the touring qualities of a bike with a checklist mentality. I learned that in the late seventies, when I took a week long, 3,000 mile trip on a 650 Yamaha. The motorcycling press unilaterally declared the bike wouldn't qualify as a touring mount, and they were wrong. After a couple of days on the road, I realized something: I was enjoying the bike every bit as much as the location. I also realized something else: every bike has a soul, like a classic book, and the only way to discover that soul is to really live with it. During the eighties, I road a 900F Honda, which the biking press endorsed as an outstanding sport touring rig. In that case, they were right. However, the point here is that it only matters so much what any journalist says about a bike, if they only take the experience to a surface level. Road Rider was one of the few publications that made riding an adventure, even relating the campground experiences in such a way that almost made you feel like you were there with them. Today's touring mags are great, with great articles on destinations, but the mounts still seem to be a simple means to an end. At least MO does a better job than Cycle World, who can't resist using the term "track times" even when rating cruisers.

Essentially, we're all missing out when moto-journalists have forgotten the joys of motorcycle camping: hanging out with your partners at the campsite after a day's ride; sharing a cup of coffee with the people you just met in the campsite; taking in a massive sky, with countless stars draped across it, just before you call it a night. And most importantly, finding that soul that exists deep within the bike, that can't be inventoried by a quick trip out of town. That's why bikes like the Electra Glide, the Concours ( and the ST1100) are so well loved; they bring out the pleasures of the ride, in spite of the fact that not all of them will ever win a comparison. In the final outcome, it's the rider that determines whether a bike has the particular kind of soul that suits him/her. However, if the moto-journalists would just take the time, take their touring tests to that level, we'd all be much better qualified to make that decision.
samurai01us is offline   Reply With Quote