Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-31-2004, 04:19 AM   #11
Hawkster
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 MO Sport Touring Shootout

Well, that was worth waiting for!

Surprise! The FJR wins again. It was one of "those motorcycles" that I instantly liked when I sat on one at Laguna Seca the year it was introduced. The ergos seemed tailored to my dimensions. I turn green with envy every time I see one in the road. Someday!!! It seems to sell well every year. How come Yamaha doesn't import a few more? Are they leaving money on the table or artificially keeping demand (and prices) high?

The other surprise (to me) was the K bike coming in behind the boxer. That heat problem must've been pretty bad. Oh well, I prefer the looks of the RT.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2004, 04:47 AM   #12
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: www.whitetrash.com

Thanks for noticing!
Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 AM   #13
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

The Boxer was more nimble, more comfortable and easier to ride. The K bike had better brakes, power and looks. If you want to drag race or pose, the K-GT will beat the RT. Otherwise, the RT is a nicer way to cover long distances over twisty roads. -Sean
Old 08-31-2004, 04:51 AM   #14
GS1100GK
Founding Member

About a month ago I bought a new 2004 ZZR1200 and decked it out with a full bag set from GIVI and optional 3" taller windshield form KawasakiÂ*and it is the best motorcycle I've ever owned and I've been riding for 27 years.Â* It may not have the electric adjustable windshield, ABS,Â*and computer do-dads that some of it's competitors have (ST1300, FJR1300), but I do not think they are needed.Â* Plus, I paid about $4000.00 less out the doorÂ*even fully equipping the bike with theÂ*full set of GIVI luggage.

Â*

The ZZR1200 has lot's of good things going for it.Â* First, it has aÂ*mighty powerful motor.Â* The last dyno I've seen says 145 hp (you guys say 140) at the rear wheel (even withÂ*catalytic converters) not counting ram air with about 186 mph top end!Â* One thingÂ*overlooked by some people is that this bike has aÂ*600 watt alternator.Â* Great for the electricÂ*underwearÂ*some of us must wear to rideÂ*year round, plus some electric do-dads if I so desire.Â* The ZZR1200Â*has a fully adjustable suspension front and rear.Â*Â*The last 2002 road test I saw and this one said the front only had preload adjust.Â* Mine has preload and dampening adjustment all aroundÂ*which has to be better thanÂ*Yamaha'sÂ*hard/soft adjustability on the rear.Â*

The luggage from GIVI is first rate.Â* Some magazines have criticized it's looks and how the bike looks with them off, but you cannot argue with the functionality of these bags.Â* They hold a tonÂ*of stuff,Â*are weather proof, and come off with a push of one button to take with you.Â* Plus, the GIVI V46 trunk can be ordered with a trick brake light kit that matches the round tail lights of the bike. Cool indeed.

Â*

I'm sorry to see that you guys rated it last in this comparison. I ride my ZZR 120 miles per day and get 45 mpg doing 80+ mph and the suspension and riding position seem fine to me. I do agree that the riding position is a little more sport, but that can be corrected with Helibars or Genmars for not much cash. I have to also admit that I am smitten by the power of the thing and have to constantly remind myself to watch my speed. One last thought concerning the engine buzz. I only experience the buzz between 4500-5000 RPM and the thing is smooth on either side of that range.

Anyway, nice test. I guess I'll have to take satisfaction in the fact that I can out run any of the other sport tourers without a thought since engine power is about the only category that it won and the fact that I have at least $4000.00 more cash in my pocket by buying the ZZR.
GS1100GK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 04:56 AM   #15
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default and another thing...

... and any opinions how the Aprilia Futura would have ranked in this group - I know you-all evaluated it last year.
naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:08 AM   #16
Buzglyd
Founding Member

You'd have to do something about the footpegs also. The ZZR has tiny footpegs mounted relatively high compared to the others.

The power though...oh good god the power!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 05:18 AM   #17
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

I figure if I can't fix the pegs I can just saw a few inches off my legs. Which one was your fav Buz?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:22 AM   #18
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I was torn between the FJR and the K1200. The BMW would have (would of) been perfect in a nice cool place like Germany. Since most of my riding is in the Southwest I had to go with the Yamaha. The GT is a roaster. It didn't take well to LA's traffic either.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:28 AM   #19
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default HA!

What a great read. With all the updates to the FJR I figured she would come out on top. Sounds to me like everyone was pretty suprised by the Honda. She has a reputation of bein' a pig, but something tells me that got started by Kpaul.

I don't know what it is about the ST1300. I love the lines... and it appears to be a motorcyle they put a lot of thought into. The fairing bumpers... the fold down handle to make centering her so easy...

But then again... I love linked-brakes...
Old 08-31-2004, 05:33 AM   #20
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: HA!

I found the ST the least attractive of the bunch. The styling was just to Yu Gi Oh! for me. I'm 5-10 and it was just kind of buffety at speed. Great midrange punch though!