Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-24-2004, 06:56 AM   #41
ebass
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Big Dog Ridgeback

Look Steve, there's a tale of motojournalistic politics behind SA's quip that's about as relevant to the readers as the Swift boat debate is to voters. I told SA before the story was published that I thought it was petty and un-professional to air MO's internal dirty laundry in public. He did it anyway and that's his prerogative. Just know that there are at least three sides to that story and they would all bore you senseless.

... and now, back to the bikes
ebass is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2004, 06:58 AM   #42
burtonsimmons
Founding Member

Default Covering more choppers?

I liked this review. It was brutal, honest, and I didn't feel like MO was pandering to the factory for once.

In answer to the question: What do you think about choppers, should we cover more of them in the future, or should we stick to the mainstream stuff?

I think MO should cover more *motorcycles* in the future. I personally don't see the allure of a chopper, and I'm not a dirt-bike guy. But just generally more reviews, and reviews of different bikes, would be welcome. Like the "Naked Twins" shootout a while ago, a non-standard matchup mixes it up every once in a while.

Just my $.02
burtonsimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:07 AM   #43
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Build your own

You were lucky. A buddy of mine bought a chopped '57 Sportster with a glide front end and spool wheel. Sort of a reverse Super Glide. He went straight into the back of a stopped Porsche one day in Pasadena, rear wheel locked and smoking the whole way. Forunately he'd scrubbed down to about 5 mph when he hit.

He wasn't smart enough to put a front brake on it after that though. Kept riding it. Last I saw he was at Lompoc.... some murder rap dealing with some woman's husband. Typical for the spool crowd I think. Well maybe that's a bit harsh. But you gotta think that people dumb enough to ride with spool front wheels, or those stupid tiny front drums, are gonna demonstrate that basic dumbness in other areas.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:07 AM   #44
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Build your own

Stopping one of those things had to be a trip. Never got to ride a true old school chop. The rear brake only, jockey shift, rigid kind. I bounce the idea around to build a shovelhead rigid from scratch one day, but I think the coolness would wear off after the first 20 potholes.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:10 AM   #45
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Not this, not now

Hunter S. Thompsom is STILL ALIVE??!!!
Old 08-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #46
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default How about a Baldwin?

Is this what you have in mind? Baldwin</p>

Hey Eric, see if you can get a hold of one of these...</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:14 AM   #47
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Quit yer griping!

Sure, most MO readers have no use for this sort of bike, but this is the only review of a "chopper" I've ever seen written by someone who wasn't a member of the "Brotherhood", i.e., someone who would evaluate it in comparison to real bikes with real engineering. Fonzie and Sean are the only MOjos with the guts to point out that the emperor has no ... er, wait, the emperor has some really fancy duds, but he's still got no brains.

Of course, after this review, MO will never get another Big Dog to test, even if BD starts making sport bikes.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:15 AM   #48
Steven_Verschoor
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 Big Dog Ridgeback

Well stated, Eric.

Hey, can you finagle a review of the Baldwin?</p>
Steven_Verschoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 07:18 AM   #49
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit yer griping!

>> "Of course, after this review, MO will never get another Big Dog to test, even if BD starts making sport bikes."buy[/i] our BD test units from now on..... Wait, what's that, they cost HOW MUCH!?!? Oh, nevermind. -Sean

Old 08-24-2004, 07:19 AM   #50
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: Quit yer griping!

Sorry about that poor formatting. It seems I took a mediocre joke and turned it into gobledeegook.