Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-19-2004, 01:07 PM   #91
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Kawasaki Z750

Hey now, 73HP ain't so shabby for a air-cooled 2-valver at the rear wheel. Yes, it's heavier than it should be at 475lbs. But it does use the ages old KZ/GPz motors and an all-steel frame.

Slap a shock on it (Wilburs makes a good one) and put 95-97 ZX6R forks on the thing and she rock and rolls. Why budget bikes have to have crap for suspension I don't know. And the ZX6e/6R brakes bolt right up so instead of the wooden feeling sliding 2-pin I have 4 pot calipers. *zoot*

And fully adjustable suspension is absolutely wonderful to have. Whoever said you could do everything you needed just by changing preload and messing with fork oil clearly does not live in IL nor has their bike pull double duty: commuter and track weapon. Damper-rod forks pretty much blow and are beyond rescue. I tried. I put the semi-adjustable ZX6e forks on the ZR-7 and used Racetech GVE's too. Give me a screw driver and a half dozen clicks any day.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2004, 01:12 PM   #92
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I'm sure there a better brakes but I'll live with the stock brakes since they slam my bike to a stop two-up when needed. Maybe you can show us some documentation that supports your claim that high end systems slightly retract the puck discs different than low end. I don't believe they do, but I have an open mind and love to learn things. Thanks.
electraglider_1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:15 PM   #93
pattonme
Founding Member

Default Re: OK, Disposable...But Reliable

My ex-95 CB750 has 95K miles and hasn't even had the valve cover off yet.
pattonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:18 PM   #94
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

I'm sure there a better brakes but I'll live with the stock brakes since they slam my bike to a stop two-up when needed. Maybe you can show us some documentation that supports your claim that high end systems slightly retract the puck discs different than low end. I don't believe they do, but I have an open mind and love to learn things. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:39 PM   #95
electraglider_1997
Registered Member

Default Disc brake drag

Sean,

I read into this on the net and find that you are correct and that I was misinformed. I stand corrected.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:55 PM   #96
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, I know, I'm riding an '81 home in a few minutes.

Funny thing about horsepower, my KZ has a Wiesco 880 kit, Lockhart, big cams, jet kit & a Kerker. It's only getting 73 hp at the rear wheel, but it still pulls real hard, almost like an open bike.

Along with the early 80's suspension mods (read that real stiff) it handles like a three-legged safe falling down a flight of stairs. Or like it has a big hinge in the middle. You get the idea.

Your suspension mods are very interesting, to say the least. Being the cheap bastard I am, I'll never have high-zoot stuff like that on the old sled. Nice to dream...

Old 08-19-2004, 03:04 PM   #97
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hold up there shippie

I second that. Hey, wait a minute...

Your not the type of shipmate who'd go on liberty, get a blowjob, and bring back one for his buddies, are you?

Salt away!
Old 08-19-2004, 08:33 PM   #98
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Hey! Ho!

Yeah, kinda like the A-10. Except the ones I've seen had this goofy arrangement to change the shifting from right to left. Some shaft that went down the swing arm pivot, if I remember right.

I had an A-10. The crankshaft would snap on the timing side with alarming regularity. Something about that bronze stintered crank bushing, the diameter of your pinky. I traded it for an El Bandito. Bad move.

The Beezer did look nice, however. Big chrome tank, up-pipes, overlay sprocket.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:54 PM   #99
Marin_Cycleworks
Registered Member

We're kinda suprised at how little interest there's been in Z1000s at our shop, but figure price has to be part of it. We've seen this 750 in the Brit mags, and if Kawi brings it here for a bit less than the Honda 599 (which isn't selling either) and a bit more than the Suzuki SV650, these'll do much better. The Z1000 is a very nice bike, BTW, but there is no love for it in the US market.

We'll find out if they'll bring the 750 over next month at the Kawi dealer show in San Diego. Of course, MO will probably know before we Kawi dealers do.
Marin_Cycleworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #100
schizuki
Founding Member

"We're kinda suprised at how little interest there's been in Z1000s"

I'm not.

"but figure price has to be part of it."

It's butt-ucking-fugly.

The 750 is sweet, though. As long as they keep it black. If I had the cash and they were here in the US, I'd seriously consider it.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote