Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-11-2004, 08:36 AM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Here's a blowtorch.

Yeah, but with two Buells he might be able to keep one running.

Oops. That's not Buells. It's taken two Honda Magnas for me to keep one running.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2004, 08:44 AM   #22
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: Buell S3 vs Kawasaki Z1000

Speed Triple Yeah! Lime Green?? Leave that to Kawasaki. I'll take mine in black with the fly screen.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 AM   #23
Tigercub
Founding Member

If you sell the Buell to buy the Kawasaki you will be very happy for about 6 months. A year and a half from now you will be sorry you sold the Buell and will be looking for another one.

Find a way to keep the Buell and still buy the Z1000.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:51 AM   #24
pushrod
Founding Member

Make mine a Red Rocket ( I think I'll name it Hagar!) and strap a 3-into-1 Bub/V&H/Thunderheader on that bad boy!

Woo-hoo!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 09:25 AM   #25
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Here's a blowtorch.

Why bother with Magnas when you've got the GSX1100? I like my Triumph but I still miss the ol' Bandito Grande`

If Suzuki ever brings the GSX1400 here I'm in trouble. Guess I'd have to move the ol' ladys Saturn out to the driveway where it belongs and make a space next to the Trophy. Always room for another monster A/O cooled Suzuki, In stylish blue and white of course.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:09 AM   #26
naco_traficante
Registered Member

Default Firebolt XB12R

I test-rode a Firebolt - I'm pretty sure it was the XB12R - fully expecting to experience all the fun that Buell folks talk about ... and I was not impressed. It was cramped, the clutch was crunchy and it shook. I could get the same sensation for less money by being packed into a barrel and rolled downhill.

naco_traficante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 AM   #27
pdad13
Founding Member

Gotta agree with ya here. The Z has a number of tacked on doo-dads. And the shape of the tank is weird to my eye. The overall look is pretty cool, but when you look at it closely, it kind of falls apart.

I think it looks way better in black (as most things), seems to suit the lines better.

And yes, ditch those "bling surpreme" pipes if you can afford to.

I thought about buying one, too. It's supposed to be a real nice bike. Haven't had the chance to ride one, but I hear the only real critisisms are a midrange hole in the torque curve, a bit of buzziness, and a tad too much chassis flex in certain situations. None of them really deal breakers.

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 11:25 AM   #28
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Firebolt XB12R

Make sure you wear a helmet cam when you do it.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 12:54 PM   #29
VR1000racer
Founding Member

As the very happy owner of 4 Buells, including a '99 S3 with a Penske shock, Buell Race Kit (Header, Ignitor module, Air cleaner) Gold valve forks, Corbin seat (for sale!) Screamin eagle oil cooler, and about 16,000 miles on it, it gets ridden more than any other bike that I have. My 96 S-1 with the same mods does better wheelies, which upsets my wife, which...... means I ride the S-3.

I also Have had a VR1000 Harley, and also currently own a 96ZX7RR with Ohlins on both ends, Brembos, and an 800 cosworth engine kit, and a few other "lesser" bikes, like an immaculate XN85 Turbo, etc.

I have ridden an FZ-1 several times, but not the Z1000.

My biggest gripe about all the 4's is that you will find yourself lugging the motor a lot. My S-3 makes about 90 Ft lbs. at 3,000 rpm and weighs about 470 lbs.

The FZ-1 (03) that I have ridden feels relatively guttless after riding my Buell. It is not, of course, but as someone who can afford pretty much what I want, I find myself gravitating to the Buell. I have also considered the XB12 every time I go anywhere near one, but being 6'6" and 235 lbs. I litterally would need to put the clip-ons under the bottom triple tree to fit me properly.

As you know, that is not a problem on the S-3. As far as relability goes, My last trip was to Belding MI and back this summer in a 5 day business trip. I got about 58 mpg overall, and had zero problems.

My gut call for you is to keep the S-3 and revalve the forks, replace the shock, (I tried revalving the WP several times and gave up) and put a race kit on it, if you haven't already, which REALLY briings the motor to life, and ride it. It becomes a fantastically rideable bike, that is as relable as anything. Also be sure to put the aluminum swingarm inserts from Bartels on instead of the rubber isolators, it makes a HUGE difference in how well the rear end and stabiltiy of the bike feels, with very little increase in vibration. (Oh yeah, the new race kit muffler built by Graves is much quieter thatn the older Supertrap pipe, and doesn't have the dip in the torque)

If you are going to get inside the motor on the Buell, rework the shift drum. You can get the mod sheet from Henry Duga at Buell, and it makes a world of difference for about $ 50 in labor.

And if you can, buy the Z1000, but I would recomend finding someone that will swap off with you on a long Sunday ride.

Me? I like the TL1000 motor but not the looks, and the Aprillia, but not the price.

Guess I will keep the Buells.

Have fun.
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 01:02 PM   #30
VR1000racer
Founding Member

I just thought that I might ad I am 39 years old, and put EBC Green pads on the front brake. They wear faster, but they have better feel and more progressive bite without higher lever effort. I also have an 88" mountain motor Buell S-2 that is 125hp and 121 ft lbs for sale.........!
VR1000racer is offline   Reply With Quote