Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-11-2004, 05:49 AM   #11
ValkBandit
Registered Member

Default Re: Buell S3 vs Kawasaki Z1000

i hear the z1000 is a real buzzer. that's the only reason i can think not to buy one over the buell.

if i wanted a sport twin i'd by a SV1000 ... they're selling for fire-sale prices right now.

if i wanted a four i'd opt for the FZ1.

if i wanted a farm implement i'd spring for the buell.
ValkBandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-11-2004, 06:05 AM   #12
johnnyb
Founding Member

Z1000 looks cool in passing but the longer you look at one, the more cheese you sees... and as you push it round in the driveway, it feels about 100 pounds heavier than a new buell xb. other than that, it's a cool bike and i know not why they didn't bring in the Z750 which the Brit mags seem to like just as well.

I rather have new XB9city or whatever they call it, personally...
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:14 AM   #13
Kenneth_Springhetti
Founding Member

Default buzz...

The Kawi buzzes like a 4

the Buell jumps around like a sportster...

its a matter of which vibe you wanna feel..
Kenneth_Springhetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:15 AM   #14
zx9rmal
Founding Member

Warpdrive -

I've owned several Buells and many late model Japanese inline 4's.

I think a major consideration for you is the twin vs. the I-4 configuration. If you REALLY like the Buell because of the twin motor's torque, you should get a ride on the Z1000 first. If your dealer wants to sell one bad enough, he'll let you ride it, assuming you're not some squid coming in with t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops.

The Z1000 will be much more reliable than the S3 (and all the previous generation Buells). BUT, the new XB series Buells should be much better.

Have you considered the new XB12?
zx9rmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 06:43 AM   #15
johnnyb
Founding Member

"buzzy" is in the mind of the beholder. I never felt much buzz in the z at all and i've ridden 2 of them a lot. Most kawasaki 4's, seems like, run pretty smooth.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:53 AM   #16
bigjames
Premium Member

yep, it has already started.....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:19 AM   #17
BBD_Racing
Founding Member

I am 1200 miles into Z1000 ownership.

As background, here's where I'm coming from: 1990 Honda 650 Hawk, CBR-F4, bunch of dirtbikes, have ridden various other stuff (inlcuding some Buells a couple years ago), roadraced the Hawk and an SV650 for a couple of years. 37 yrs old.

I absolutely adore my Z. I desperately want to love Buell, being an American engineer, but the motor just kills it. I can't stand vibration. Motors must be smooth to earn my respect.

The Z does have a buzz zone between 6500 and 7000. That correllates to 90+mph in top gear. You don't have enough fairing to ride that fast for long, so it isn't an issue. At cruisiing speeds from 40 to 85 mph, it is glass.

The motor is a real gem. The brakes are maybe a little soft at the lever, but they have great strength and feel. The seat takes a few hundred miles to break in, but now I am OK with it. The ergos are great.

And MO is totally full of dookus about the instrument binnacle. It is extremely easy to read in all conditions as well as being cool to look at.

It is fast and fun. If I put a throttle stop on it at 40%, I could teach a newbie to ride on it. On the other hand, it wheelies a little bit at the 100mph 3rd to 4th shift. Fast bike.

Mine is pearl blazing orange. I paid $7250 out the door and it gets plenty of attention.

Happy happy joy joy.
BBD_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 07:43 AM   #18
johnnyb
Founding Member

yet again i am forced to point out that when it comes to cruising along at 40-100- some mph, them buells are the smoothest bikes on the planet. Never mind they shake at idle, who cares?
Old 08-11-2004, 07:59 AM   #19
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Here, I've got some matches

If he's dumb enough to buy two Buells he probably can't ride anyway, the tail section and pipes will be gone in a week after he gets on a bike that actually runs and makes power like a real motorcycle.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 08:08 AM   #20
sarnali
Founding Member

My personal choice would be either get a new XB12 or a new Speed Triple. To me the Z1000 just looks like another cheesey Japanese anime`bike. Fine if you like that sort of thing.

You already like your Buell's and the XB9 and 12's are supposed to be head and shoulders above the older ones. If you want smoother power and torque with an eye catching look the lime green Speed Triple with a black D&D can is about as cool as you can get.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote