Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-05-2004, 09:51 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: True enough Brother Seruzawa

But let us not forget the 360`vertical twin as design by the prophet Edwin Turner and spoken of in the Bible "Moses's Triumph was heard throughout the land"
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2004, 10:01 AM   #22
ddlewis
Registered Member

Default who buys these?

Can't figure out who buys these.. thinking goes like this:

If I wanted a Harley-like cruiser, my first choice would be a Harley. It's the real deal, resale values are high and aftermarket is unbeatable. If I couldn't justify the $$ or just didn't care about brand I'd buy a Jap cruiser and save 30%. However why would I buy a Harley knockoff (Indian, Excelsior, Victory) that costs nearly as much as the real thing without the perks?

Maybe the "factory custom" angle combined w/ the fact that they have their own dohc engine will make it work out for them, but I don't have high hopes.
ddlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:04 AM   #23
SparkyBlue
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 Victory Motorcycle Lineup

My dream bike looks like an OC chopper, runs and handles like a good sport, and can be insured...cheap; and then I wake up.
SparkyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 11:33 AM   #24
nokneedragin
Founding Member

All in all, I think they are better styled bikes than the HDs. The 8 ball caught my eye for a bit. I still don't like the design or riding position of cruisers, but thats me.

I really would like to by an Amurican bike, but all I get is a sense of blaise' when I look at the multitude of me-too cruisers, and I hate the OBGYN riding position on most of these bikes.

Please, please Victory, make a true Hooligan bike, or a Sport tourer of some type. Give it an upright to slight foward lean position. Some tasty suspension, and brake components, and a good hit of style, and I be in the showroom.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:01 PM   #25
pdad13
Founding Member

So true, Sean. I like the overall look of the Hammer, but that rear wheel is a joke. A day-glo green case of form overwhelming function. But then again, we're talking about cruisers here, so logic rarely enters the equation.

Not being a cruiser guy myself, I've had to bend, twist and kick my frame of reference out of shape when looking at cruisers.

Pray for that Victory Naked Sport.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:56 PM   #26
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: True enough Brother Seruzawa

"And lo, The Israelites made safe passage to the land of milk and honey by riding upon the Lord's Bonnevilles. The pagan Egyptians following God's children upon their heathen chariots were stricken by a large oil slick and highsided into the Dead Sea."
Old 08-05-2004, 01:01 PM   #27
Mooner
Founding Member

How 'bout we see something along the lines of a V-twin Thruxton type M.C.? Those things aren't handling & speed queens that will win races. They also aren't as techy and R&D intensive as a Buell. They are sexy little buggers, and good enough for the most people not looking to ride the ragged edge. The DOHC V-Twin should put out more ooomph than Triumph's little twin, might not be as nice to rev though....
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 01:03 PM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Spaketh not, ye sinner

And he looked upon both pistons rising, and falling at the same time, and it was good.

And, yea, curse not ye sliding-block oil-pump, for it too is good.

Love thyne pot metal Amal carburetor slide as thyself.

But yea, verily, curse the ziener diode, which threw our beloved Lucas Magneto out of paradise, and doomed us forever to darkness.

Amem.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:28 PM   #29
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

A separate crankpin means the connecting rods use a separate pin, on the crankshaft. The motor doesn't use a common crankpin for both cylinders, like a Harley (forked rod). That's why the Harley's engine is so narrow, one cylinder sits right behind the other.

For example, look a a Virago V-twin head-on, you'll see one cylinder slightly off-center from the other. Separate crank pins.

You can determine the firing pulses this way, and not end up with a "paint shaker" design, like the HD.

Someone a while back made a V-3 Harley spin-off, which used a true master rod configuration, i.e. two of the three cylinders connecting rods, mated to the third cylinder's "master rod". Like a radial aircraft engine, minus the extra cylinders.

Old 08-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #30
asphanaut
Founding Member

right on. While the looks are already there. I think I see some customization potential...