Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 08-05-2004, 04:03 AM   #11
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: 2005 Victory Motorcycle Lineup

I'd still like to see Victory make something like a Confederate Hellcat. I'm sure they could pull one off for under 20 G and really have a different product worth buying. The chopper looking clones are beat to death and then some. Victory needs to do something truly different, or they will always be an "also ran" in the marketplace.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-05-2004, 05:07 AM   #12
seruzawa
The Toad

You bte. A real snoozer. Almost as boring as the intro of each year's cookie cutter race replicas.
Old 08-05-2004, 05:52 AM   #13
stoney8888
Founding Member

I am totally bored with the "cookie cutter race replicas", but they have only been around like they are today since the early 1980,s so they have decades to go before they hit the "cookie cutterness" of the cruiser style. luckally that is only one slyle of bike that most of those companys make, so I am looking forward to see what else they have coming out. (sporster rider for years in case you are wundering)
stoney8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:57 AM   #14
fastoldman
Founding Member

Two questions: why can't there be just one model with the pegs in a more standard position, and why must the engine be such a vibey layout? I'm still trying to understand this whole cruiser thing. Everybody knows less (or more) then 90 degree v's have lots of annoying vibes, as do inline 4's. Right? So why are so many built this way? Is it really just style?
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:08 AM   #15
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Isn't this a 50-degree V twin? With separate crankpins?
Old 08-05-2004, 06:44 AM   #16
oldtim
Founding Member

Blah, blah, Blah....How many V-twin Softails do we need?! Boring!
oldtim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:03 AM   #17
fastoldman
Founding Member

I'm not grasping the import of separate crankpins, but, yes, it is a 50 degree engine. That's my point. It has a primary imbalance which creates an especially vibey ride. I'm curious why that is. Basically, I really like 90 deg v-twins and fours, and I don't understand why the tremendous preponderance of American buyers vote with their money for inline fours and smaller than 90 deg twins, unless it is basically form over function. Certainly there are weight gains form inline fours just in terms of how small the engine can be. But 50 degree twins, 45 degree twins, 52 degree twins? I don't get it.
fastoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:17 AM   #18
seruzawa
The Toad

I agree with you here. Apparently the only cruisers you can buy without the camel humping footpeg positions are 4 of Harley's Dynaglides and the Honda Ruin. Every other cruiser that I see on their websites has the stupid forward controls. That position gets awful tiring after a while.

As far as 45 degree V-twins and inline 4s go.....

The 45 degree V-twin was the engine of choice in the 20s because the most powerful engines of the time were aircraft radials. The V-twin is simply a small section of a radial. Harley has seldom deviated from that formula since then. Today, that configuartion is what sells - like it or not.

The inline4 configuration is mandated by God as "The Only Correct Configuration".

Old 08-05-2004, 09:26 AM   #19
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Simple deductive reasoning and a mere whiff of knowelege about motorcycle handling will tell you that the Hammer will NOT handle as well as the Vegas, due to the use of that silly 250 rear tire. The Hammer has potiential, but until they configure it like a standard or cafe racer, with a moderate riding position and sensibly sized tires, it will be nothing more than a candy colored bar hopper. -Sean
Old 08-05-2004, 09:30 AM   #20
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

The V92 engines do NOT have annoying vibrations at highway speeds. In fact, I would say their character coupled with their superior power delivery make them my favorite of all the V-Twin cruiser motors.