Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   MO Reader Feedback (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/)
-   -   2005 Harleys & Buells (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/mo-reader-feedback/2464-2005-harleys-buells.html)

sarnali 07-28-2004 04:06 AM

Re: What's to flame?

I don't see any reason to start flaming. Harley puts out some pretty nice bikes, they're not performance oriented sportbikes or me-too metrics. If you buy one of these for anything other than riding around and having fun on then you're a fool.

I do like the look of the new Buell Lightning, I guess I'm going to have to ride one and see what all the fuss is about. The next bike I get is going to be a play bike so I'd rate this up with the Speed 3 and Ducati Monster in that catagory, I'll just have to see what works best when the time comes.

SRMark 07-28-2004 04:08 AM

Re: 2005 Harleys & Buells

The yellow Screamin' Eagle ElectraGlide is just wrong. The light blue 1200 Sporty is just right.

Haird 07-28-2004 04:21 AM

Beyond naked to transparent, the XB9SX is. But what a lot of fun it looks like. So when are they going to put the V-rod motor in a more standard chasis?

gbrummett 07-28-2004 04:34 AM

Buell @&*$!

You guys say "On that track, the 2005 XB9SX lapped a full second faster than the new high power / lower center of gravity XB12Scg. It did this regardless of rider, for two simple reasons.

Reason #1: The 9SX is the only Buell to come with Pirelli tires as an OEM fitment and those Pirelli Scorpion Syncs are both stickier and more progressive than the Dunlop D208s".

Reason #2: The 9SX accelerates harder off slow/slippery corners, because its fuel injection is seamless and its torque curve is fairly linear.

That's a load of crap in the real world for three reasons!

Reason #1: To list a set of stock tires, as a reason to buy one bike over another isnÂ’t very logical.

The XB12S is only a quick tire change away from a set of Pirelli Diablo's (or Scorpion Syncs). As everyone knows those stock Dunlop D208s are just a pile of stinking cow dung waiting to be replaced and in my opinion may account for that full second of difference. I know I am much more confident on the Pirelli tires. So go back and put a set of Dunlop's on that CityX XB9SX and run the race over and tell me how much difference there is.

Reason #2: I have ridden my friend's XB9 and I can tell you that no way in hell is it any more "seamless and linear" in power delivery then my XB12. In addition, I will take the extra 13 horsepower any day.

Reason #3: Like Sean has said in the past, on the street a lot of it's the rider, how good, crazy and motivated they are. And on the street, where these things actually get ridden, with a set of Pirelli Diablo's installed on my XB12S, on my favorite ultra twisty road, State Route 88 to Tortilla Flats, AZ I have never ever been passed by a XB9 no matter the tire installed!

seruzawa 07-28-2004 05:04 AM

Well... you're wrong... and you suck!

That should pretty much consolidate the sportbike guys' "reasoned" opinions.

By the way. If you own both a Harley and a sportbike which group must you belong to?

longride 07-28-2004 05:13 AM

I rode the Rocket!

The Good: POWER! Man this thing had it. At all speeds, all gears, all the time. It's got more low end juice than anything I have ever ridden, including my Max. Gotta love that. The overall comfort, suspension and brakes are oustanding. Functionally it's a 10 in my book.

The Bad: Feet forward peg position. I hate that. It needs a standard riding position more than Michael Moore needs a diet. Why they did the feet first thing is beyond me. I dislike the V-Rod for the same reason. Exhaust note. Tinny and very uninspiring. Needs help.

The Ugly: Well, the bike isn't a real looker. It looked better in person than in pictures, but it still has a few oddities that are hard to overlook. The tank looks like it came off a Boss Hoss. It has to be 3 feet wide at the top. The engine looks OK, but the finishing touches are just not there. Very industrial looking, if you go for that. It not ugly per se, but doesn't stun you like a 16,000 buck bike needs to.

Overall: I liked it alot. I think they will sell pretty decently. There seemed to be lots of interest in them. How many will plunk down 16 large remains to be seen. Would I buy one? Not at this point , because modifications would be hard to come by for a while. My V-Max is infinitely more configurable, plus I practically stole it for what I paid. Check out that Rocket though, if you get a chance. It is a pretty cool bike!

longride 07-28-2004 05:14 AM

How about if you own 2 Harleys and 2 Japanese bikes? Does that make me crazy?

SeanAlexander 07-28-2004 05:15 AM

Re: Buell @&*$!

Disagree all you want, but I rode them both at the limit back-to-back and guarantee that the low-mid rpm power delivery of the XB9 is without a doubt more linear, with a smoother idle-midrange transition.

I agree on the tires, but they were only part of the reason the 9 was so much faster on the tight track. I was spinning the tires of all the Buells from very low rpms, on the absoloute side of the tire, and the Pirelli shod 9SX & Dunlop shod 9R both had a better ability to seamlessly modulate the throttle, resulting in better tire-spinning drives than the 12 series. The power delivery wasn't a matter of XR-750 vs. TZ750, it was fairly subtle, but at the limit in low traction, the 9 can accellerate earlier and harder than the 12. -Sean

Tomas_P 07-28-2004 05:18 AM

Isn't it good to see the American motorcycle industry alive and well and creative in 2005? I think so. The Harleys look great. I'd love to have one (or two), but for the cost.

The Buells are brilliant, as always, despite the quirks. There's more character contained in one single Buell than in an entire fleet of me-too Asian superbikes.

Don't be shy about waving the flag a bit. We do good work.

captainwhoopass 07-28-2004 05:18 AM

Re: A Wasted first post

What did you expect from him, something useful to say? I'm surprised he didn't beat his dead horse "dwarves" joke further into the ground.