Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-25-2004, 07:22 AM   #21
maladg
Registered Member

Default Re: TZ750 Streetbike

This is so cool it hurts! Makes me miss by old Yamaha DT-1, Kawasaki H-1 and Maico 250 WR...ooops, I just dated myself bigtime.

The print mags have had 2,3 4 or more of these "TZ into streetbike conversion" articles over the years...but Doc Dwyer's story is the most interesting of all. Thanks, MO. Nice story. The story accomplished something very, very good: it flat out connects to those of us who began our riding at a "certain time".

I was going to make a rude comment about the "Wooden Indian's" current run of idiocy, but geez - I've got better things to do with my time than rise to the rude ones rancid bait.

maladg is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-25-2004, 07:25 AM   #22
maladg
Registered Member

Great memory! I seem to recall several articles that used KR's comments as an opportunity to expound on how a bike with so much less power (H-D Trackers) could work better...using the syncopated firing sequence to their advantage in getting that power to the ground.

Dang, I'm going to have to go into my archives today, locate those articles and enjoy....with a cigar and an adult beverage.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:04 AM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Two Strokes for Dummies

40 HP two strokes with abrupt power bands are one thing. I'll bet the TZ750 makes 120HP in the most unpleasant manner imaginable. Those who think their high performance four strokes are peaky have no idea what they are "missing".

It isn't a question of how easy it is to wheelie such a beastie. The question is how do you NOT wheelie it?

A friend had a mere RZ350 he got cheap and rebuilt for a small fortune a few years ago. He got tired of getting stranded 50 miles from nowhere, which is easy to do in Utah. So I'll pass on the streetified racers if you don't mind. I don't want to go back to living on rattlesnake and cactus juice.

If I wanted self-immolation there are a few Ksaki 750 Mach IVs around that I could pick up.
Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 AM   #24
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

I wonder if he even knows how a rotary valve, or tuned exhaust work if his vast knowledge of two strokes comes form disassembling a chain saw. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:24 AM   #25
sarnali
Founding Member

If you let that cactus juice ferment for a little while and sip it real slow it's not too bad, and Mesquite grilled rattlesnake taste just like chicken, sort of....

One of my co-workers has a bone stock H3 he bought new in high school slowly corroding away in his garage, unfortunatly ( or maybe not) he doesn't want to sell it...
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #26
billhawley
Founding Member

Default You guys couldn't bring a tape recorder????

Great bike and article, but I scroll down for the video or audio and.... nada.

You're cheating all the young readers that think all two strokes sound like their weed whackers, and torturing us old pharts. I'll just have to keep pretending that it sounds "exactly" like my old GT750.
billhawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:06 AM   #27
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Default Re: You guys couldn't bring a tape recorder????

This story was intended for a print mag, but when Mr. Walsh told me about it, I couldn't resist. Unfortunately, that means we don't have the usual photo quality or the videos that would have indeed made the shriek of a TZ echo through the ears of the uninitiated.

I will be in that general area in Sept for a VFR club event. If possible, I will try to snag a ride on, or at least some MO video of Dr. Dwyers beautiful creation. -Sean

Old 07-25-2004, 09:11 AM   #28
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

They ran a TZ 750 dirt tracker at the Formula USA / STTARS Dirt Track & Supermotard races at Del Mar in 2000. The sound was pure magic and goose bumps broke out throughout the entire crowd.
Old 07-25-2004, 09:14 AM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

Refusing to put most Mach IIIs on the market could be considered a benefit to mankind. Yeah, I like nostalgia as much as the next guy, but those early Mach IIIs were dangerous. Flexy flyer frame and double leading shoe brakes. Yikes.

I once rode a later MachIII, I think it was the last model year, what was that, 1975? It had been detuned a bit by then and wasn't nearly as peaky, had a disc front brake and actually was fairly civilized. I took a long day ride on one with my wife way back when there were only a few dozen bikes doing the Mulholland loop to the Rock Store. It was actually a pleasant ride. Nothing like my buddy's 1971 Mach III "Ride of Death".
Old 07-25-2004, 09:15 AM   #30
SeanAlexander
Founding Member

Of course you did, however that XL75 that awed you with its power was a four stroke. If you had taken the training wheels off of it, you could have at least practiced some dirt track. Imagine how cool it would have been, if you had actually gained some riding skill back then. You might even have grown up to be a rider instead of a troller.