Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-09-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
dnlwthrn
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Husqvarna SM450R

Where's the video? I wanted to see those lame attempts at wheelies!

BTW, first post...
dnlwthrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #2
RIT_Phatmac
Registered Member

Default If I could only have one bike. . .

this wouldn't be it.

It does look like a heck of a lot of fun to ride though.
RIT_Phatmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:14 AM   #3
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Stirt Bikes

In 1991, I finally got tired of dodging BLM Nazis, and went to the California DMV for a green sticker.

Much to my surprise, the dealer I bought my 1986 YZ490 from, had goofed up on the vehicle code, and instead of receiving a green sticker, I got a license plate.

Right when I got home, the headlight and taillight from my Cushman Airborne got grafted on the 490; along with a cheap Pep Boys bicycle mirror, about the size of a .50-cent piece. The lights didn't work, but WTF, Pacific Daylight Time usage only.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I rode that geared up YZ490 on the street for 5 years, and in certain situations, it never got beat, by anything. Made the 25-mile plus one way commute from Burbank to Inglewood in about 20 minutes.

A custom made 40-tooth rear sprocket replaced the 47, and knobbies and all, the top speed was well over 100 mph. I had to remove the front fender.

Of course, a pocket full of B8ES' was necessary, to keep the thing running (jetted real fat), but that was the nature of the beast.

Nothing beats a street legal, open class dirt bike, on the street. Too bad it's not a two stroke.

Now if I could just get the DMV to goof up on my CR500's registration...?

Old 07-09-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I "commuted" the city streets on my Honda XR75 as a youth. Of course I didn't have lights, license plates or a driver's license for that matter.

We just knew the roads and trails so well that when a cop gave chase we could instantly disappear down a dusty trail. I never got one ticket but got chased plenty of times!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:34 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Certain situations? Do you mean that no one would race you with a CBR1000F through the Baldwin Hills oil wells?

Seriously, if one used a bike for urban riding only, a supermotard just might be the best choice in a bike. I've always felt that a bike that you can sit straight up on with wide handlebars affords the best visibility and manuverability. A much safer choice for the street than a cruiser or a roadrace style bike IMHO.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #6
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yes, stoplight-to-stoplight, it was unbeatable.

It was scary at top speeds on the freeway, laid down on the tank, with the choke on (to keep it from knocking a hole in the piston, YZ490's had a rotten squish band design in the head).

Funny you should mention the Baldwin hills route over La Cienega, that was one of the ways to, and from work.

Right now, I'm making the daily commute from Burbank to Granada Hills on a 1972 Yamaha DT2 250 Enduro, complete with a GYT Kit cylinder, head & pipe. Noisy bike...fast though.

Beat a trellis framed Buell, right in front of Glendale Harley, after I put the GYT Kit top end on it. Got at least 2000 more r's on top.

Light, responsive bikes are best for street bashing.

This Sunday, a few buddies and I are making the ride up Big Tujunga. over the crest to Newcombs. Interested?

Old 07-09-2004, 12:01 PM   #7
ewok1
Founding Member

Default thumbs up

i couldn't agree more. i have an adventure 950 that's somewhat like that, but still a little heavy to be perfect.
ewok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Yeah, I use to ride my Go-Devil folding min-bike to junior high school. Parked it with the bicycles. Never, ever got jacked for it.

Of course, that was when you could keep a loaded .357 in your locker. But only for self defense purposes (Thomas Starr King Jr. High).
Old 07-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #9
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: thumbs up

Can't be much heavier than an XR650. Those Katooms are neat. Just don't nail any road berms at anything over 60. A sphincter restricting experience. Might suck the seatcover right off. Hard to explain in the emergency room.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

The old BSA Victor was sort of the precursor of this type of motorcycle, all be it one with limited suspension travel, lousy brakes, and major reliability problems. Still when it ran it could be amusing. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote