Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-09-2004, 06:12 PM   #21
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Sissy

Um, never. I think I've got about 800 total on it.

I've done 650 in a day on the Duc though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-09-2004, 11:21 PM   #22
gceaves
Registered Member

Default Re: 2004 Husqvarna SM450R

To get around the dirt-bike-not-licensed-for-street-use issue, a family member of mine in Oregon used the license plate from one of his dad's old bikes for his dirt-only bike whenever he ventured into urban Portland. You can apparently switch plates in about a minute. He was sure to keep the dodgy plate constantly covered with mud, bungees and a milk crate, though.

So if your community safety hounds are dogging you, I recommend a similar second license plate scheme. It's a cheap, practical and efficient solution.

-gceaves
gceaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 11:30 PM   #23
eekadog
Founding Member

so how much does it cost?
eekadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 12:52 AM   #24
pplassm
Founding Member

Build your own! I bought a used KTM620RXc (100% Street Legal) and put 17" wheels on it. Some updated plastic, and it's a real hoot. Less than $3k total in it.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:29 AM   #25
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: Stirt Bikes

My first "street bike" was my dads '67 250 Bultaco Matador that we turned into a cafe' racer by lowering the clip-ons running an open expansion chamber and adding trials universals instead of knobbies. I could switch back and forth from street to dirt in about an hour by changing the tires and raising the bars.

I used to carry a pop bottle full of Blendzal in my pocket for fill-ups. In those days in Wa. all you needed was a learners permit to get an M/C license so I had a motorcycle license before I got my car license.

When I raced MX and Enduros in the early '70s the CR360 and WR360 Husky's were the ones to beat. My 360MX Yamaha could keep up on faster tracks but the Huskys, Maicos and my dads 380 CZ just flat out handled it in the woops. I wanted a Husky but I went in the Navy instead and halted my meteor like climb to 500cc MX World Champion before it got started.

I'd still like an early 70's CR360 just for old times.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 05:44 AM   #26
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Big Commute

Sorry, sounded like you might live around here. The land of Joseph Smith, eh? Yes, I grew up LDS, most of the relatives are from around that neck of the woods. Right now, my Mormon status is "Jack". They still keep bugging me every Tuesday night around 7:30, though..."ding-dong, hello, Brother Cuddy?"

"He's in the garage, drinking beer, and working on something that causes him to curse, loud and often".
Old 07-10-2004, 05:47 AM   #27
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: emergency rooms

Yes, they should put posters of old dirt bikes, and MX stars on the ceiling. Or at least something interesting, like naked wimmin.
Old 07-10-2004, 05:59 AM   #28
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Viva Bultaco! Or was that Montesa...whatever.

My Uncle, in the late 70's, had a street-legal '76 JPR 360 Pursang. I rode the weewee out of it. That was the first year of the "square"amal mixer. Great bike, only weighed around 230 lbs, full of gas.

Around the same time, I had a '73 RT3 Yamaha 360 Enduro. What a tank, you could even get the head to shake on the street. A real panic producer. Indestructable bike, though. The Bultaco would just walk away from it, on the street, and dirt.

Wa was just like CA back then, I got my permit at 15 & 1/2 years.

Yes, the Navy also ended my rise to the top of the national MX standings...Aircrew Survival Equipmentman (Parachute Rigger) VF-33, F-4J NAS Oceana. 1976-1980.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:03 AM   #29
sarnali
Founding Member

Pursangs rock! All those Spanish bikes like Montessa and Ossa were cool. My Yamaha was a '73 RT3 360 MX Silver with a black tank stripe.

I think we were on the same boat, I was a Boiler Technician in 4mmr, B Div. USS Independance CV 62 from '75~'79, I had an apt. in Ocean View and spent as much time as I could at Virginia Beach back then.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 10:20 AM   #30
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Sissy

Sorry. My Sunday is already dedicated to sighting in a new scope and testing a new .45-70. Why don't you come and help? Bring KP. He can hold the targets.