Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-28-2004, 01:47 PM   #61
mile_eater
Founding Member

Default Re: 1907 Curtiss V-8 record bike

No way. This is about the only thing me and Beemer see eye-to-eye on!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-28-2004, 02:14 PM   #62
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Not exactly. The people we are killing in Iraq are (for the most part) guilty of numerous heinous crimes against their own people, including outright torture and murder. The people Clinton killed were guilty of having non-mainstream religous beliefs, and possibly minor weapons violations, which were never proven.

The part of Bush's policies I don't agree with (the Patriot act, in particular) have nothing to do with Iraq.
Old 06-29-2004, 03:13 AM   #63
jlegrant_zr7s
Founding Member

QUOTE-"One wonders what changed in society... for it certainly seems that we are no longer capable of producing such men."

The truth is we do have alot of people that have and still are making innovations every day! That being said the are now at the "improvement" stage of things. New cures, faster computers, faster/lighter motorcycles, faster more fuel efficient engines, ect. I am 30 3/4 years old ( I know not that old), but i have see quite a few changes in my short time. our more sesoned MoFo's have seen lots more inventions (like telivision for instance). my Pop had a 1974 KZ 900 that only produced about 90ish hp. the modern 900's produce way more and don't weigh 600+ lbs. Keep you eyes open and look around you you will see that there are things that are true inovations in everyday life, its just that we are used to them now and really don't pay any attention.

jlegrant_zr7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:18 AM   #64
pdad13
Founding Member

Thanks for clearing that up, boys. I gotta get me one of them OSRs (Offical Squid Rulebook). I've got to be losing thousands of potential points everyday.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:03 AM   #65
pdad13
Founding Member

Bingo, VWW. However, somehow this whole Saddam- 911 connection theory has evolved from the ether. I don't remember anyone asserting that the Saddam was involved in 9/11 (if that is the implication). Only that he was a threat and was in contact with terrorist elements. With the disovery of the documents of this past week, that would seem to be true to some extent. It is entirely possible that the Islamist elements and a secular dictator like Saddam would form an alliance. Anyone who asserts that it could never happen is woefully unaware of history and the history of that region in particular. By the way, Saddam was flagrantly violating international law for 12 years. That in itself is justification enough to remove him from power. What kind of precedent was the U.N. setting by never taking action?

And let's say we never went to Iraq. And one year later threre was a biological attack on Chicago that was linked with Iraq. Would we have another 9/11 Commission-style witch hunt that blamed the Bush adminsistration for missing the threat. I think we would. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

What many don't seem to understand is that the Iraq war was a bold STRATEGIC move, not a tactical one in direct response to the 9/11 attack. We could all argue at this point that it was a mistake, but I choose to wait for the situation to develop fully. Strategic consequenses rarely play out in a matter months or even a couple of years.

Old 06-29-2004, 05:19 AM   #66
mile_eater
Founding Member

Tesla and Eddison were famous in their day. Not just in ours. We have some wild stuff going on right now... like the guy out in arizona building his own space craft... but not like it was back then. When I look around... I see no inovation.. I only see sloth...

But then... I'm stuck in West Virginia.
Old 06-29-2004, 05:23 AM   #67
pdad13
Founding Member

"Hmmm... whatever the French (or indeed the Germans, talking about unspeakable atrocities) have done in the past justifies very little the absurdity going on now. "

That's not my point. European governments were, in large part, responsible for this mess. The resentment of the west started under European rule, not American rule. We are hated now mostly because we have become the preeminent power and symbol of the west. How did that happen? Mostly by bailing the Europeans out, particulary the French, whenever they botched something beyond recognition (usually successfully).

Most of the damage was done before George W. Bush was born, son. And now the Europeans want to take the path of least resistance once again. Reminds me of the 1930's all over again. But, history's not important, now, is it?

So the U.S. has to deal with the problem once again. Maybe we're sick of hearing how terrible us Americans are. Did you ever think that maybe we have something to be resentful about?

I'm sure the world would be a much better place if left to the Europeans. They've got such a wonderful track record.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #68
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Apparently you missed most of the pre-war rhetoric pdad. Our current fearless leader and his minions endlessly trumpeted the Iraq/Al Queida connection to the point where opinion polls showed that over 60% of the people belived that Saddam's regime was directly complicit in the 9/11 attack. For an insiders view read Karen Kwiatkowski's archives at lewrockwell.com. As for the possibility of an Iraqi biological or nuclear attack see Gordon Prathers archive at wnd.com. The plain truth is and was that Saddam's nuclear capability was destroyed post Dessert Storm, and any biological weapons that he had stockpiled, and which he lacked the capability to reproduce after years of inspections, had degraded to uselessness.

Let us pray that we never decide to go it alone and invade every country that breaks UN edicts. Otherwise we will be invading Isreal, Sudan, Rawanda, Zimbabwe, Uzbekistan, and a host of others.

As for bold STRATEGIC moves, we have a little piece of paper that you may have heard of. We call it the constitution, and it prohibits these types of "adventures" by the executive branch of our government. To use your arguement what kind of precedent would we be setting if, as the final arbiters of our government, we allow this type of blatantly illegal activity from someone that is bound by oath and duty to uphold the law?

None of us has a crystal ball, but the hand writing is clearly on the wall that the strategic consequenses of this poorly contrived debacle will not bode well for the future of our dealings with the rest of the world. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 06:03 AM   #69
pdad13
Founding Member

"Hmmm... whatever the French (or indeed the Germans, talking about unspeakable atrocities) have done in the past justifies very little the absurdity going on now. "

That's not my point. European governments were, in large part, responsible for this mess. The resentment of the west started under European rule, not American rule. We are hated now mostly because we have become the preeminent power and symbol of the west. How did that happen? Mostly by bailing the Europeans out, particulary the French, whenever they botched something beyond recognition (usually successfully).

Most of the damage was done before George W. Bush was born, son. And now the Europeans want to take the path of least resistance once again. Reminds me of the 1930's all over again. But, history's not important, now, is it?

So the U.S. has to deal with the problem once again. Maybe we're sick of hearing how terrible us Americans are. Did you ever think that maybe we have something to be resentful about?

I'm sure the world would be a much better place if left to the Europeans. They've got such a wonderful track record.
Old 06-29-2004, 06:07 AM   #70
pdad13
Founding Member

Doh!