Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 07-01-2004, 06:18 AM   #101
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: 1907 Curtiss V-8 record bike

Only if you live in KPaul's neighborhood.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-01-2004, 07:23 AM   #102
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Perhaps if KP's hero John Kerry is elected he will appoint KP as the U.S. ambassador to Faluja. Let's start the letter writing campaign now. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:53 AM   #103
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Actually I do think that the Bush administration told at least one outright lie. The Nigerian yellow cake document was such an obvious fraud that even the incompetent UN officials saw through it in less than a day. The war in Iraq was not so much a war to steal the oil there, as to maneuver the output of those oil fields into the control of U.S. based oil conglomorates, as the French and a few other players had pretty much sewn them up. You don't have to be a rockect scientist to see which corporations have already reaped huge profits from this ill advised foreign adventure. The fact that the largest staffed U.S. embassy in the world is under constuction in Iraq is a good indicator that U.S. interests will be playing a large role there for some time to come, and any military bases there (and there will be some for years to come) will give the U.S. a significant strategic advantage in controlling the political climate, and therefore the oil supply in the entire middle east.

I havn't yet read Jhon Stossel's book, but I have seen a few of his libertarian, small government programs on ABC. I happen to be in complete agreement with what he espouses, but I was already mad (in more ways than one) as I have been shouting that kind of stuff for years. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:37 PM   #104
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Big jugs...

I maintain, regardless of HOW big the displacement, HOW much torgue it has, an engine can do no more work than the HP it produces. Look at the torque figures of the Harleys, certainly more than adequate for street duty and beloved by their riders for it but not NEARLY fast as a new 600 which has far less torque but far more HP (other than the V-ROD). And another thing, what makes you think that a thirties German 23 liter Aircraft engine wouldn't have repectible HP? At least as necessary to make a car go fast? I think you're trying to break the law, of Physics.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #105
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Default Re: Big jugs...

And another thing, weight has very little to do with top speed on a level surface! IMHO
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 07:38 PM   #106
pdad13
Founding Member

Fine, listen, it's pretty clear that the Nigerian document was a fraud. How it was handled and disseminated is what's not entirely clear to me.

I still don't buy the "war for oil" argument. However, you are correct that we will have a significant strategic advantage in the area. In fact, I believe that was one of the obvioius goals. If that enables us to better to influence the political climate and insure a secure oil supply, great. It's still a leap to insist a war was prosecuted strictly for corporate profiteering.

By the way, I love all of these enviro-extortionists who oppose even the most reasonable and sensitive plans for oil exploration in our hemisphere. That group has some of the biggest liars around. (Sorry, just a side rant.)

pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 08:00 PM   #107
pdad13
Founding Member

(Um, I believe you were the first to go off topic there, cruiz. I only responded.)

Right you are. The crusades were the beginning of the European colonization of the Middle East. And I'm not trying to "wash our hands." We've supported our European allies in most of their endeavors in the region. It's just that you seem to pretend that all the problems in the Middle East began at our door. That's silly. We've basically been Arab enemy #1 since the end of the second World War. Much of that has to do with our support of Israel, which was created in large part because many of our galant European bretheren didn't want "all those Jews" in their countries. What bothers me is the feeling that Europe is not acting in virtue, but fear. Witness Spain.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:59 PM   #108
pdad13
Founding Member

Nah, HK, no flames. I can see where you sit, and that's fine. I don't mean to be an apologist for G.W. I think both parties have severe shortcomings. I just don't think many of the attack dogs are making much sense. Millions of jobs lost all attributed to Bush? That's unrealistic at best. The President doesn't have that much influence over markets. I seem to remember that we were being warned about recession at the end of Clinton's presidency. I also remember a substantively bankrupt internet boom that started going bust for real around that time. Surely this had something to do with job loss, no? Then we had 9/11. Not good for the economy. But when times were "good," everyone seemed to ignore the brewing storm in the Islamic world. We were all wrapped up in our 401ks and wholly unrealistic expectations of 3% unemployment forever. (Leading economic indicators are about the same now as they were all through the Clinton years. You've heard that before.)

Speaking of 9/11, why does everybody pretend that all was more or less cuddly with our Arab friends before the Iraq War? I was in New York on 9/11. I knew people in those buildings. I don't remember many wholehearted condemnations and hearfelt tears from the Arabs--even those living in this country. In fact, we only got a little backhanded sympathy with qualifications something to the effect that we brought the attack on ourselves. I also remember some dancing in the streets overseas.

I do think we need to get along with other nations. However, given our standing in the world, nations also need to be able to get along with us. Eventually, we will all probably find common ground. And as for the argument that most of the world thinks we're wrong in Iraq, they may be right. But they also may be wrong. And no matter where you stand on this issue, you must agree that brave decisions are not always popular. Leaders can lead because they have the ability to make unpopular decisions. We elect people that we feel can make the best decisions based on knowledge, experience and information that we don't have. If those decisions turn out to be wrong, we fire those leaders.

So do your best to fire Dubya. That's your right.

All I'm saying is that the jury is still out on Iraq.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:15 PM   #109
pdad13
Founding Member

No, of course not (but very funny nonetheless). What I mean is that the French, as always, are trying to assert themselves as a world power. It's nice to have us as a quasi-enemy to position themselves against. And other European nations, somewhat understandably so, are a little nervous about the U.S. being the only superpower.

At least we can agree on the fact that the French should stick to rhetoric and stay as far away from the battlefield as possible.

P.S. Who knew the Scandinavians could be hostile? I thought that went out with the Vikings?

Old 07-01-2004, 09:27 PM   #110
pdad13
Founding Member

Nah, HK, no flames. I can see where you sit, and that's fine. I don't mean to be an apologist for G.W. I think both parties have severe shortcomings. I just don't think many of the attack dogs are making much sense. Millions of jobs lost all attributed to Bush? That's unrealistic at best. The President doesn't have that much influence over markets. I seem to remember that we were being warned about recession at the end of Clinton's presidency. I also remember a substantively bankrupt internet boom that started going bust for real around that time. Surely this had something to do with job loss, no? Then we had 9/11. Not good for the economy. But when times were "good," everyone seemed to ignore the brewing storm in the Islamic world. We were all wrapped up in our 401ks and wholly unrealistic expectations of 3% unemployment forever. (Leading economic indicators are about the same now as they were all through the Clinton years. You've heard that before.)

Speaking of 9/11, why does everybody pretend that all was more or less cuddly with our Arab friends before the Iraq War? I was in New York on 9/11. I knew people in those buildings. I don't remember many wholehearted condemnations and hearfelt tears from the Arabs--even those living in this country. In fact, we only got a little backhanded sympathy with qualifications something to the effect that we brought the attack on ourselves. I also remember some dancing in the streets overseas.

I do think we need to get along with other nations. However, given our standing in the world, nations also need to be able to get along with us. Eventually, we will all probably find common ground. And as for the argument that most of the world thinks we're wrong in Iraq, they may be right. But they also may be wrong. And no matter where you stand on this issue, you must agree that brave decisions are not always popular. Leaders can lead because they have the ability to make unpopular decisions. We elect people that we feel can make the best decisions based on knowledge, experience and information that we don't have. If those decisions turn out to be wrong, we fire those leaders.

So do your best to fire Dubya. That's your right.

All I'm saying is that the jury is still out on Iraq.