Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-30-2004, 04:58 AM   #91
captainwhoopass
Founding Member

Default Re: 1907 Curtiss V-8 record bike

Of course! My only contention is that I have yet to see evidence of any innocent people killed by our soldiers in Iraq. My understanding of the situation is that the innocents have been killed by the suicide bombers.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-30-2004, 05:36 AM   #92
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Make that Howard Dean.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:38 AM   #93
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

While most of the "collateral damage" in Iraq was due to bombing and artillery quite a few were killed by mistake by individual soldiers in fear for their lives. That blood is on our hands. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:50 AM   #94
Holy_Kaw
Registered Member

Your point is well taken. It must be remembered that Bonneville is relatively high altitude and normally aspirated engine produce significantly less than sea-level HP there.
Holy_Kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 06:40 AM   #95
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Cubic inches (or yards) = speed

Once again...

What you have here is a giant low-rpm (low stress) aircraft type engine, running about 5 to 1 compression, geared to the moon.

It might only put out 40 hp, but by virture of it's immense size (400 cubic inches), can propel an un-faired bicycle type vehicle at the speeds listed.

Curtiss made a water-cooled version of this V8, called the OX, for aircraft applications. It displaced 500 cubic inches, and put out around 100 hp.

Count Louis Zbrowski used this formula much the same way with his race car Chitty One (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang), by mounting a 23 litre Maybach Zeppelin motor, in a chain-driven Mercedes chassis.

"Babs" broke all kinds of speed records around 1910 at Pendine Sand, Wales. The car eventually killed Parry Thomas (a famous land speed record holder of the time), when the chain came off, and wrapped around his neck, at about 120 mph. What a way to go.

Size has a virtue all its own.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:06 AM   #96
mile_eater
Founding Member

If a soldier is in fear for his life... scratch that... if anyone is in fear for their life, and they kill someone to prevent their own death... I have no problem with that. Least of all a soldier in a war zone.

Considering how much more humane war is now, compared to say, wwII or Korea, I really don't worry about iraqi citizens.

The trouble over there is simple. We're trying to build one nation, where there exists 3 seperate cultures and peoples with 3 wholly incompatible lifestyles, cultures, and beliefs systems. It's the kind of country that could only be held together by brutal force.
Old 06-30-2004, 08:30 AM   #97
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

The soldiers I was refering too weren't in danger of losing their lives. They mistakenly shot some people that weren't the bad guys. If I'm in fear for my life, does that give me the right to start shooting at everyone in my neighborhood? VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 12:17 PM   #98
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Big jugs...

Yeah, but that would have to be, a couple of really BIG cylinders, to get 400 cu.in. And don't forget, you have to factor in the weight deal.

One thing odd, take a good look at the motor. Where is the crankcase? You'd think, with 400 cubes, that'd have to be one big mutha spinning around down there. And it doesn't look like a dry-sump...

Look close, those big jugs are just grafted on the case, with nothing underneath. Goofy.

BTW, Curtiss Aviation OX V-8 from looks the same, except for the water cooling.
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 AM   #99
pdad13
Founding Member

Well, isn't it obvious that the U.N. usually plays both sides against the middle? The U.N. resolution was watered down to allow wiggle room and the interminable delay in enforcement. This type of obfuscation is a hallmark of all bureaucratic organizations. "Let's give everyone a little bit of what they want, and nothing will change." The difference is that this time, someone called them on it. Whether it was right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but the U.N. most certianly didn't bank on us taking action.

As far as the Bush team was concerned, I've already stated that I think they were overly optimistic in interpreting intel. Do I think they lied outright? No. Do I think certain members extrapolated conclusions from incomplete intel and sold it as solid info. Yes, I do. Is that wrong? Of course. I'm not happy about it, either.

But also remember that there were plenty of "experts," including U.N. weapons inspectors, who believed that Saddam was hiding WMD. Plus his evasiveness certainly only added fuel to the fire.

But, to insist, as some do, that the administration knew that they would find no WMD, seems to me an error in logic. Would they invite all of this scrutiny and embarrassment upon the Bush adminsitration and the nation as a whole by knowingly invading a country under false pretenses and then have to admit that they were wrong? Or worse, that they lied. For what reason? Please don't give me the "war for oil" argument (I know you're smarter than that). I find that whole line of thinking simple-minded and ridiculous. If we were only interested in oil we would have been playing ball with Saddam, not trying to remove him. It would have been a hell of a lot cheaper, too.

Believe it or not, I, like you, happen to think both parties suck. Government is way too big and the American public is being duped into thinking that more government is better. When you look at the facts, more government is usually a disaster.

The U.N.? Well, I think it's next to useless. The only thing it does reasonably well is provide humanitarian aid. How anyone can think that a world organization with democratic values can work when many of the member nations are ruled by thugs is beyond me.

Anyway, on a related note, read John Stossel's book, Give Me a Break, if you haven't already. It's no literary masterpiece, but you'll love it. It will also make you very mad.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 05:06 AM   #100
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: Big jugs...

Oops, sorry, 244 c.i. Had my calculator set to stun.