Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 06-02-2004, 07:25 AM   #51
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: Hardley Playbook

Your memory is short grasshoppa.
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 06-02-2004, 09:39 AM   #52
ChicagoCruiser
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Triumph Thruxton 900

Thruxton = she's nice to look at after you've had a beer or two, you may want to take her home and ride her at least once, but a long term relationship is completely out of the question. Been there, rode that, send me the pin and we'll call it good.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:26 PM   #53
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

If you want more umph out or the Thruxton, maybe all you need is a set of Supertrapps and some K&Ns like the blue bike in the article. Seems like you would need to re-jet though. As for me I'll keep my W-650
Old 06-02-2004, 03:34 PM   #54
bowtydaddy
Registered Member

Don't forget the Honda 450. My CL would give them a run for their money back in the early 70's
Old 06-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #55
maladg
Registered Member

If you are of a certain age and mindset, it is perfect! If not.....
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 03:49 AM   #56
SRMark
Founding Member

What an advanced engine for that time! Not many DOHC bikes then. When I saw the bike for the first time I remember thinking that the top end of the motor looked like some genius with brains bulging out. Wouldn't mind picking one up if I could be sure my wife wouldn't shoot me.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:25 AM   #57
Fido
Founding Member

Default Great job, but...

This is undeniably the best review I’ve seen about the Thruxton, but I for one would have loved to see some hard performance numbers. I appreciate that Yossef had the balls to say it doesn’t have M900-level power, but I’d really have liked to see a quarter-mile time somewhere to confirm this.

Good writing on this one, though.

RM

Fido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #58
kurth23
Registered Member

The modified Bonneville was done by South Bay Triumph. I don't recall the hp figures, but the kit is pretty radical. Some people in the "Bonneville community" are enthusiastic about. Some aren't. Wiseco now makes a kit for the Bonnevilles, too.

A stock Bonnie is good for about 53 rwhp. Aftermarket exhaust, airbox mods, and correct jetting will take it up to something between 60 and 62 hp at the wheel. The Wiseco kit bumps that number into the low 70's.

Since the Thruxton is so new, I don't think anyone makes a big bore kit for it yet, and it's possible that the block may not be big enough to bore it out much beyond where the Wiseco kit takes the regular Bonneville. Time will tell.

The ultimate in Bonneville performance, so far, is a Swede who's put in the Wiseco kit, with Carrillo rods, home brewed EFI, and a Saab turbo. Current horsepower from that configuration is about 105.

kurth23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 12:53 AM   #59
xlr8r
Founding Member

It seems everybody likes the looks but finds the motor a bit tame. Luckily help is at hand from the French, who adore new Triumphs. A company called Mecatwin do fabulous alloy tanks for Hinckley Bonnies, plus exhausts and other bits to make them go faster; they also do a great flat-tracker lookalike mimicking the 'desert sleds' of the 60s. Another French company, VD Classic, do tanks, seats, exhausts and so on. Check out their websites - Google will find them for you.
xlr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 09:42 AM   #60
johnr733
Founding Member

I, like you, purchased the first 2000 Tiger to arrive in the Denver area. 152 miles later the engine exploded between my legs. $ months later I have a new engine. Two weeks later the cases crack. Calls to Triumph regarding this were always answered with "So what do you want from us?" Finally they sent me a Triumph sweater! Nope, wont even consider purchasing one of their motorcycles. They're all junk to me!
johnr733 is offline   Reply With Quote