Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-29-2004, 05:37 PM   #21
wwalkersd
Founding Member

Default Re: 2004 Triumph Thruxton 900

I recall reading in CW a few months ago about a new Bonny that been modified by, if I recall correctly, SoCal Triumph. It might've had that extra 20 hp. Though I do recall the editors mentioning several times that the bike was loud.
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-29-2004, 05:44 PM   #22
Captain_1
Founding Member

I too was impressed by the Thruxton. So much so that I purchased one of the first in the country last month. On my way home from the dealer the front brake failed after passing through one of the most dangerous highway intersections in the state. Fortunately, I was able to bring the bike to a stop using the rear brake. I placed the bike on its side stand and noticed the front caliper dangling from the brake line. Inspection revealed the front caliper bolts had loosened and fallen off. Oil was also leaking from the left engine clutch cover. I called the dealer and the Thruxton was unceremoniously retrieved from the side of the busy road. The next day I contacted Triumph to alert them to the situation and they said it was NOT THEIR PROBLEM. Although the dealer was very apologetic, I stopped payment on the check and told the dealer to find another sucker. The Thruxton was my first and LAST Triumph.

Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 04:56 AM   #23
mjstone
Founding Member

I think Triumph may possibly be taking a page out of the Harley D. playbook. A good classic, appealing bike that will move off showroom floors, but obviously can be personalized, up-dated, upgraded... marketed, accessorized. I see a whole cafe' line of parts and upgrades available through dealers to keep those owners coming back.
mjstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 05:27 AM   #24
sarnali
Founding Member

I can see where you'd be upset, but the dealership should have caught the caliper bolt when they did the set-up on the bike. For a bolt to be so loose that it falls out it would have to be sticking out like a dogs balls. Their set-up should include going over critical fastners with a torque wrench, clearly they didn't do that.

A leaking clutch cover can be repaired with a new gasket in 15 minutes or less, again something the dealer could have taken care of. If you're so mad that you stop payment and tell them to keep the bike, I guess you have that right, but I'd direct my anger at the dealership for their sloppy set-up, not Triumph in general.

I've had 19k trouble free miles on my Trophy, which is a first out of the two dozen new bikes I've owned over the years. Going by the feedback on TriumphRat.net my experiance is in no way unique. Apparently Triumph is doing something right.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:47 AM   #26
F451
Founding Member

I feel your pain--literally--as similar issues have arisen with bikes I've owned; motorcycles are machines and they are not perfect. My philosophy is that every motorcycle needs to be fined-tuned no matter what make or model. However, I've known "good" dealers to take back bikes like yours and simply use them a demo model and hand you a new one. Were you dealing with Triumph America or Triumph UK or another country? The Thruxton is such a blatantly straightforward motorcycle that its issues should prove to be relatively few. Yours appears more a build error. Don't give up if you like the bike...and there's a lot to like!
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:49 AM   #27
F451
Founding Member

As much I like H-D...there is no playbook as H-D has never left the classic scene (with the exception of the V-Rod, and my dealer can't give his V-Rod's away).
Old 05-30-2004, 07:30 AM   #28
Captain_1
Founding Member

I spoke with the U.S. importer in Georgia. Their ATTITUDE is what really soured me on the experience. They also promised to follow up with me and never did.
Captain_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 07:39 AM   #29
F451
Founding Member

Go over their heads and contact Triumph UK. My experience with their boys has always been positive. Besides, they will want to know your issues so that they can make sure the production line is getting matters right.
Old 05-31-2004, 04:17 AM   #30
TriumphSpeedNut
Founding Member

Captain,

Not sure if you're a new rider or a seasoned one but I'll add my two cents anyway. The issue and blame with your calipers starts and ends with the dealership. I've learned (almost the hard way) that when taking delivery of a new bike to check everything and give everything a once over. While you won't have a torque wrench in your back pocket, you can 'grab' and/or 'stress' certain fixtures, even less critical parts like the passenger footpegs. If it's been overlooked, it will be blatantly loose. A lot of dealerships will assign the simpler tasks to lesser skilled workers (new trainee technicians). Pretty much all bikes (and I know Triumphs definitely do) come in pieces, the front wheel will be off to economize on shipping volume/space. Simpler tasks like attaching the wheels, setting calipers properly, adding fluids etc are all the set up tasks. This was obviously a dealer error (twice). Firstly because it was overlooked by the tech (and his boss), second because the sales person should have insisted on an overlook of the product also before you taking delivery. You probably can't blame corporate Triumph for a shoddy dealership (unless you get no response). The dealer didn't take the time to respect your hard-earned purchase with a couple of critical procedural steps which could have left you injured. Find a new dealer but give Triumph another chance.

TriumphSpeedNut is offline   Reply With Quote