Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-27-2004, 03:47 AM   #71
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: How-To Change Your Oil

Everything is easy after you've done it 1000 times but there's a first time for everyone. If articals like this help someone out then where's the harm?

You did remind me of my neighbor about the same time ('81 or so) who wanted to impress "the biker" (me) next door and do his own oil change. He puts his '70 something LTD up on the bumper jack, crawls underneath with his cresent wrench, yanks out the drain plug and pours 5 qts. of dity oil all over himself, his driveway, the storm drain, and eventually the Green River.

I was laughing so hard I dropped my bong....er...I mean beer.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2004, 03:57 AM   #72
cmice
Founding Member

I, too, used to think the same. If you do any amount of serious work, however, they're indespensible. After a while, your skin gets stained, starts to crack due to use of harsh cleansers all the time, no to mention the wife doesn't want any of that business anywhere near her (if you know what I mean). If the phone rings, you grub up the phone. If you need to find something in a manual, you grub up the manual. Get the gloves, be a happy camper. Even for small jobs...it's all of like $.10. --Chris
cmice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:16 AM   #73
ValknMag
Founding Member

I use the gloves when changing oil or polishing chrome and such, but the real advantage is the looks you get when people see a box of 200 latex gloves in the garage, next to a bottle of Castrol...
ValknMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:31 AM   #74
longride
Super Duper Mod Man

Default Re: How not To Change Your Oil

He never said he drove it back!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:39 AM   #75
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Old timers trick

1- Invite your mother-in-law over.

2- Offer her a cigarette.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:21 AM   #76
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

There and back in 4 days (back in the days of 55 mph speed limits) with a side trip to New Orleans and no tickets . Not only was I young and inexperienced enough to do this without much thought, but I was also dumb enough to drive about 50 miles along a beach south of the border. When I got back to KY I watched the thing dissolve into a pile of rust in my driveway in less than 4 months! It was easy to part out though.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:34 AM   #77
seruzawa
The Toad

Q: How do you completely dismantle a Triumph?

A: Park it in your garage and return in a month.

I've yet to meet anyone who owned a Triumph auto who didn't have a major mechanical disaster regularly.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #78
seruzawa
The Toad

It'd be even funnier if it'd been a diesel.
Old 05-27-2004, 06:45 AM   #79
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I think that you could extend that statement to all British Leyland cars of that period -- terrible crankcase ventilation, terrible seals everywhere, and rust-o-matic metal body panels and frames. All of my rally buddies who owned Jags had the same problems. You definitely had to be a committed owner.

Still I'm glad I owned one. I put 70K miles on my British racing green 72 -- almost all in long distance blasts around North America and it was a hoot to drive - parking lot engine rebuilds were just part of the deal and it made that ride along the beach with a senorita in my lap more worthwhile.

Now I am reduced to trolling for chicks that dig F250's and grey pony tails.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:00 AM   #80
seruzawa
The Toad

British sports cars were like Shovelheads. When they are running right all is well with the world.

My wife and I borrowed a friend's 60something MG Midget for a weekend once. What a hoot. It was definitely more fun to go fast in a slow car than to go slow in a fast car.

But I still think the best British two-seater ever built was the Datsun 1600 Fairlady. My brother owned one. Faster and almost maintenance free. You could actually drive it without having someone follow you around in a rescue vehicle.