Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-27-2004, 05:39 AM   #71
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: Old timers trick

1- Invite your mother-in-law over.

2- Offer her a cigarette.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2004, 06:21 AM   #72
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: How not To Change Your Oil

There and back in 4 days (back in the days of 55 mph speed limits) with a side trip to New Orleans and no tickets . Not only was I young and inexperienced enough to do this without much thought, but I was also dumb enough to drive about 50 miles along a beach south of the border. When I got back to KY I watched the thing dissolve into a pile of rust in my driveway in less than 4 months! It was easy to part out though.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 07:34 AM   #73
seruzawa
The Toad

Q: How do you completely dismantle a Triumph?

A: Park it in your garage and return in a month.

I've yet to meet anyone who owned a Triumph auto who didn't have a major mechanical disaster regularly.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:35 AM   #74
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: How-To Change Your Oil

It'd be even funnier if it'd been a diesel.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:45 AM   #75
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

I think that you could extend that statement to all British Leyland cars of that period -- terrible crankcase ventilation, terrible seals everywhere, and rust-o-matic metal body panels and frames. All of my rally buddies who owned Jags had the same problems. You definitely had to be a committed owner.

Still I'm glad I owned one. I put 70K miles on my British racing green 72 -- almost all in long distance blasts around North America and it was a hoot to drive - parking lot engine rebuilds were just part of the deal and it made that ride along the beach with a senorita in my lap more worthwhile.

Now I am reduced to trolling for chicks that dig F250's and grey pony tails.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:00 AM   #76
seruzawa
The Toad

British sports cars were like Shovelheads. When they are running right all is well with the world.

My wife and I borrowed a friend's 60something MG Midget for a weekend once. What a hoot. It was definitely more fun to go fast in a slow car than to go slow in a fast car.

But I still think the best British two-seater ever built was the Datsun 1600 Fairlady. My brother owned one. Faster and almost maintenance free. You could actually drive it without having someone follow you around in a rescue vehicle.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #77
johnnyb
Founding Member

bikes have oil? u mean like in a car? wow. Anybody ever fill up their big block chevy with like 3 fresh qts before looking down at the floor and noticing you forgot to put the drain plug back in? Anybody besides me?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:14 AM   #78
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

You've got that right. The Fairlady's were among the coolest classic sports cars ever. I think that the appearance of the SP2 and SP3 Fairlady's really upped the ante in that era for what you should be able to expect from a two-seater. I put 'em up there with the Austin Healy Mark III's.
Old 05-27-2004, 08:33 AM   #79
nokneedragin
Founding Member

These guys need a hobby (other than destroying bikes)

What are they some rich young punks who want daddy to buy them a new bike.

"I don't know what happened to the bike, Pa. It just sarted runnin' like sh!t. But a new GSXR thou only goes for 10 large. Thanks DAd!"
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:59 AM   #80
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

No, but at about 3:30 this morning with my son howling at the top of his lungs back in the bedroom, I poured a half gallon of milk into a bottle without an insert. Does that count?