Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-26-2004, 10:42 PM   #61
kawaten
Founding Member

Default Re: How-To Change Your Oil

The first time I changed my oil, I overtightened the drain bolt and cracked the aluminum oil pan. The guys at the shop said their junior mechanics had done the same thing a couple times. Contact cement improved the leak but didn't fix it completely. I had the original drain hole filled and a new one drilled. It cost slightly less than a new oil pan.

Beware of the loose plug too. I watched a buddy quickly spew 4 litres of oil under his back tire when his drain plug popped out on a busy road. He almost lost control while traveling in a straight line. It popped out because the previous owner had stripped the plug threading, then taped over the plug with some high strength/low melting point tape - you know the one.

I haven't bucked up for the torque wrench yet, but it would certainly provide some peace of mind.
kawaten is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2004, 10:58 PM   #62
kawaten
Founding Member

Agreed. I loosen/tighten the filter by hand without removing any fairings (2001 GSXR). In fact, I don't even lift the bike. I leave it on its side stand, slip a paint tray under it and loosen the plug.
kawaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:09 AM   #63
saaz
Registered Member

Doesn't everyone do their own oil, valves, electrical work etc??? Seems not, especially if you just turn over to a new bike all the time.
saaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 02:11 AM   #64
radlcr
Founding Member

Surgical rubber gloves ? Come on, you're not talking about body cavity searches here, it's only dirty oil. It will wash off, lube your cuticles and give your pores that manly look, you wus...
radlcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:50 AM   #65
maladg
Registered Member

I guess it was 20 yrs ago...maybe as early as 81, but no later than '84. I was outside Barry Higgins' shop in Mableton, Ga ( he moved out to Douglasville many yrs later) - chewing the fat with Barry, gleefully overstating the details of the bike trip to the Rockies I'd just returned from. And then it happened. I would not have believed it unless I'd seen it. Even to this day, maybe I think I dreamed it: some bonehead on a Yamaha cruiser wobbled up, chain dangling as low as I'd ever seen. He stops, turns off his engine and says, "hey, man...can you adjust my chain? I'll pay you".

The mind boggles. They are out there and they need help! But are they worth redeeming?
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 03:55 AM   #66
maladg
Registered Member

Uhhh, I've got 20+ yrs experience assisting the likes of Auto dealers, machine shops, mechanics, millwrights, etc., with Safety & Health programs. If you change oil once a yr or so, a little oil is no big deal. But if you have a couple or three bikes, change oil 3-4x/yr and do your own car, own lawnmower, etc., dirty oil on the hands is not a small thing. Latex, nitrile or vinyl gloves ARE a damn good idea.

Don't believe me...hey, no problem. But remember...believing something is not so will not make it not so.
maladg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:04 AM   #67
SRMark
Founding Member

I've owned so many cars, trucks and bikes there is no way I can count all of the oil changes I've done. I've only had one crush washer leak and I have hardly ever bothered to replaced one. I have had several occasions where the rubber "o" ring on the oil filter stuck to the base of the oil filter mounting surface. Makes for an interesting mess is you don't catch it and spin on the filter with two "o" rings in place. Most shop manuals will tell you to clean the mounting surface and if you do you will always catch that problem. It's kinda odd but it does happen.

And, after reading way too much about oil filter construction, I am now using Purolator filters when ever possible.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:11 AM   #68
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How'd that happen?

Is that the part that flies off first?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:17 AM   #69
SRMark
Founding Member

Ever get a headache after changing your oil? Use the gloves as suggested. They ARE a damn good idea. Maybe if we say it enough times people will listen. There are so many cancer causing, brain damaging pollutants in used oil that anything more than the most casual encounters with the stuff needs to be avoided. The post above is as true as it gets.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 04:35 AM   #70
seruzawa
The Toad

Default Re: How not To Change Your Oil

You drove a freakin' TR6 from KY to Mexico!!?

You are the bravest man I've ever known.

Or the most foolhardy.

Q: Why do the Brits drink warm beer?

A: They have Lucas refrigerators.