Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-26-2004, 11:32 AM   #41
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Re: How-To Change Your Oil

Personally, I've never worried about crush washers, and I've never had anything but a drip or two come from the drain plug. The first one I lost, I had only one vehical, so I reassembled everything and went on my way. Having all intentions to get to the dealler to replace it. Forgot about it untill the next oil change. Afew hundred K miles on many bikes and I don't think its been missed by any of them.

But it must have some engineering significance, or they would not put it on the bike. The real world doesn't seem to care.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2004, 11:51 AM   #42
nokneedragin
Founding Member

Default Old timers trick

Cut it with gas and use it to stain wood (fences, garden timbers, decks but read on), It takes afew days to dry out, but it helps preserve the wood.

Try it on an inconspicuous spot to see if ya like the color.

Might cheese off some enviromentalist but it does work.
nokneedragin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #43
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: Old timers trick

Hold a match to it to see if it's dry. Make sure you wear nomex clothing though.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:10 PM   #44
Neal
Founding Member

Works great on pier pilings......dont let DNR(Department of Natural resources) catch you.
Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #45
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

I cut some crankcase drainings with gas, smeared it on the wood lawn furniture. Now, when it gets hot outside, the wood starts seeping old dank motor oil. Smells even worse than gear lube. Pee-u. Can't put varnish on it, either. So much for that idea...
Old 05-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #46
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: How not To Change Your Oil

And Triuimph's. I believe that I own the world's record for oil consumption in a TR-6 on a trip from KY to Mexico and back.
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:43 PM   #47
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Great article, Yossef. Thanks.

I have generally made it a point to take apart old filters to see what's trapped in there and that experience has convinced me of the value of always changing filter with oil.

Many modern filters have a knurled end which allows the use of an inexpensive socket attachment to spin the filter off. Some high end filters (K&N comes immediately to mind) have a drilled fitting on the end (for safety wire) that makes it even easier.

On many modern sportbikes it is possible to get to the filter without removing the fairing lowers if you can get the front of the bike up with either a front stand or a lift. All I ever have had to do with any of my Hondas or Yamaha's equipped with lowers is to split the bottom of the lowers and snake the filters around the headers. This makes a 1 hour job into a 15 minute job if it works.

Well done.

martin
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #48
torrnado
Founding Member

i like the way this man thinks!
torrnado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 12:59 PM   #49
Tigercub
Founding Member

I intend to read this article - no really!

I'm too lazy to replace crush washers or o-rings on drain plugs. I have cut new washers out of gasket material when needed to fill the gap on the plug. But, what I never fail to do after the plug has been in and out a few times is to smear a layer of red silicone glue - the high temperature stuff - on the plug and just snug up the plug. As long as the drain hole is clean and free of oil it sticks very well. I've never lost a drain plug this way and don't have to over-tighten the plug.

I also use advert literature the kind printed on coated paper and cut to fit the oil filter drain area to direct the oil away from the bike and into the oil pan. Paper towels picks up the rest.

I've had no problem with Fram oil filters - on my Harley or Speed 4.

As for oil. I have had trouble with synthetic oil of the correct weight (viscosity) in my Harley. I got lifter noise that went away when I switched back to HD oil. V-twin oil from the auto parts store would work too, but costs the same.

I now use Mobil 1 car oil (15w 50) in my Triumph Speed 4 with no problems at all after 8000 miles. Triumph specifies Mobil1 15w50 anyway.

Oil additives are probably useless, except on older air-cooled engines when they wear out. You can thicken the oil and quiet the motor a bit and get a few thousand more miles out of them.

Gear box oil - just use the correct viscosity gear oil available anywhere. Over fill the gear box by about 20%. Primaries are even more forgiving - just about any oil seems to work in them. But stick with the correct viscosity is the best bet.
Tigercub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #50
anrajala
Founding Member

Buying the tools is generally regarded as the easy part. I strongly suggest you concentrate on origami. Or oregano.

- cruiz-euro
anrajala is offline   Reply With Quote