Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 AM   #21
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: How-To Change Your Oil

Thats Harley-bikers, Triumph riders are drinking tea and breaking the ton between cafe`s
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2004, 07:56 AM   #22
F451
Founding Member

Great link on the additives. Thanks.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 AM   #23
mscuddy
MODERATOR X

Default Re: How not To Change Your Oil

My Harley manual says nothing about oil "changes" per-se, but it does have a little blurb on page 15 how to "add" oil. What a novel idea. Why change, when one can just add? Save a can of 60 wt.
Old 05-26-2004, 08:04 AM   #24
F451
Founding Member

Costco and tools go together like drinking and motorcycle riding--they don't. Any least purchase some "reputable" tools, even if it is at Sears, not some "poly-want-some-wing-wong" rubbish being passed off as tools at bloody Costco!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:06 AM   #25
F451
Founding Member

Default What Next?

First, Yossef home-fixes the camcorder and now he does his own motorcycle maintenance? Is MO paying him enough?
Old 05-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #26
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: What Next?

Yossef, Kindly get your arse on a Triumph Rocket III for a road test and report back!
Old 05-26-2004, 08:20 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Default Re: How not To Change Your Oil

It's kind of like the old Jaguars. You never had to change the oil because by 3000 miles you would have replaced all of it anyway.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:43 AM   #28
sarnali
Founding Member

Default Re: We don' need no stinkin' road test

It's fast, it's cool, it's got tons of torque and it's a Triumph

Go buy one.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:52 AM   #29
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Mobil 1 works fine but it's overpriced. I prefer to use Shell Rotella T Synthetic - it's great oil, has no friction modifiers to make wet clutches slip, and.... Wal-Mart sells it for $12.84 a gallon! No adverse effects on shifting either.

If I'm gonna use a petroleum oil I prefer Shell Rotella T, Mobil Delvac or Chevron Delo (about $6/gallon). These are all commercial grade "heavy duty" 15W-40 oils that are perfect for Motorcycle use in bikes that use a *W-40 oil - if yours needs a *W-50 oil (Harleys?) you might need to look elsewhere though.

Another note on synthetics - there are VERY few "true" synthetics on the market any more, most oils labeled synthetic (including the Rotella I use) are really "Group III" oils, which are actually very highly refined petroleum based oils. They perform almost as well as true synthetics but cost the manufacturers half as much to produce (although no one lowered their prices after switching to these formulations, go figure). If it matters to you, the only true synthetic oils I know of any more are Amsoil, and Motul makes a few formulations. I also hear Mobil Delvac 1 is "real", but this is not confirmed.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:55 AM   #30
Lowrez
Founding Member

My toolkit was a bit more sparse when I started changing my own oil. I had one of those "home handyman" kits. Hammer, screw driver, and an adjustable wrench. I combined that with the bikes mini-toolkit and a catch pan for the oil. Getting off the filter was done by spiking the filter with the screw driver and then taking it off. Messy, but it works on every size filter. Put on the new filter and tight and next time it takes less work to get it off.

Every time I change my oil now I indulge myself with $10 worth of tools. After five years I've got enough where I can change the oil with relative ease.
Lowrez is offline   Reply With Quote