Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-28-2004, 02:53 AM   #91
IceWorm
Registered Member

Default Re: Chevy Van

Actually I used cat litter, but would have used cats if I'd thought of it. God put animals on earth to soak up oil spills, right?
IceWorm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-28-2004, 04:36 AM   #92
sarnali
Founding Member

You're supposed to wipe your hands on them when you eat fried chicken, that's why dogs are knee high.

Cats exist to give dogs something to chase when you get tired of throwing a football. Using cats to soak up oil spills is a good idea though.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 09:30 AM   #93
SRMark
Founding Member

Amoco & Exxon have. Works good. God hath given us dominion over them thar critters to do with as we se fit. And what them West Virginians does with animals is as abusive as soakin' up oil.
SRMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2004, 11:31 AM   #94
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

Default Re: How-To Change Your Oil

Are you in Canada? I haven't seen Rotella synth. other than the 5W-40 here in the USA.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:14 AM   #95
TokyoJoe
Founding Member

Good work, MO. Of course everyone knows that you measure the oil level with the machine upright on its wheels, and *without* screwing the dipstick home, right ?

TokyoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 02:19 AM   #96
ledbreva
Founding Member

Better to turn the motor over WITHOUT starting it first. Just pull the plugs and crank or push it in gear with the plug loose. Spread the oil around inside before running the motor. Not hard.
ledbreva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 08:57 AM   #97
mljackson
Registered Member

FWIW - On both my motorcycle (ST1100-97 w/41000 miles) and autos, before I put the new filter on, I fill it to the point where the oil will just start to overflow on installation. This limits the amount of oil needed to top off after the initial start-up and seems to help raise the oil pressure faster by taking less time to fill the filter which would be dry longer otherwise. The thought is to reduce the amount of time it runs w/o oil pressure. My changes are roughly each season ~5k miles. The manual says go to 7500 miles between changes; too long IMHO.

mljackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 AM   #98
Joss
Founding Member

An alternative for a cut up tin can to receive the oil:

Use one of those cheap common 12"x12" rubber or plastic tubs that will fit in your kitchen sink... Rubbermaid or whatever. BUT - put it inside a plastic trashbag first. The trash bag is all that gets dirty. No sharp edges. No left over oily can.

Pour the oil out of the tub (might need a funnel) into old milk jugs when you're done and toss the EMPTY wrong-side-out trash bag in the garbage.

Check with you bike dealer to see if they will accept the waste oil - or any oil change place. Some may not unless they are certain you don't have any solvents mixed in.
Joss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:47 PM   #99
chise
Founding Member

Remember to prime the filter. This is important as your filter media is dry at start up and will cause a delay in getting oil through the system until the filter media is saturated. When you start the oil change, first poor new motor oil into the filter up to the threads. Then begin your bike prep as the oil saturates the media. This way, when you start the bike after the oil change, the engine will get the benefit of an immediate delivery of oil without air pockets.
chise is offline   Reply With Quote