Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-22-2004, 09:50 AM   #21
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: KPaul looking for cool jeans

I have experience with the Joe Rocket mesh pants, which I can wear over my standard jeans. The armor is good and has, unfortunately, been crash tested by a few riders I know. It worked. And it's much more protective than the reinforced jeans. The cortech pants are great, but too hot except in the cases you mentioned. I think the same applies to the darien pants, though their quality is unquestioned.

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-22-2004, 09:52 AM   #22
Vlad
Registered Member

Default Re: Casual Protective Gear

New Enough just had a sale on the Joe Rocket mesh pants, which I know to be good. Maybe the sale is over?

Francis
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 10:18 AM   #24
sarnali
Founding Member

Motorcycle superstore.com has the JR mesh pants for $10. bucks less. Their prices consistantly beat everyone else's on gear from what I've found.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:50 AM   #25
theDuke
Founding Member

Default Re: Mesh Jacket

I recently bought a Triumph Raptor vented (mesh) jacket and I have to say that so far, I've very pleased with it. It feels like I'm wearing a t-shirt from an airflow perspective (except for where the armor is located on elbows, shoulders, and back). For the same price, if not less, than JR mesh apparel, this jacket has cordura over the shoulders and elbows and some heavy-duty hard-backed armor instead of JR's wimpy foam.

I still haven't gotten around to getting protective pants, so the timing of this article is helpful. I'm curious if the CE armor that can be added to the Draggin jeans will be of much use in a real crash because of the loose fit of the pants.

Triumph makes some vented pants to match the Raptor jacket, but the dealer didn't carry them so I couldn't check out how wacky they look.

theDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 11:59 AM   #26
jkofsky
Founding Member

Seconding that:

1. Kevlar is not terribly strong on its own, from what I understand. It really needs to be contained within/between or interwoven with other fibers that have the characteristics it lacks.

2. Even if it's slippery as Teflon and tough as nails, you'd want that flimsy layer of it on the OUTSIDE of the clothes for when you first hit the road. The way those draggin' jeans are designed, it looks like you go right through the denim and then have a micron thin layer of Kevlar backed by your Azz. Mine's pretty hairy, but I don't think those are the fibers that need to be backing the Kevlar
jkofsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:29 PM   #27
kjam68
Registered Member

Default Re: KPaul looking for cool jeans

I have the Icon ballistic pants. They are cooler than Draggin' relaxed fit jeans ( I ordered both at the same time) but the knees of the Icons are Titanium woven and seem like they could scratch the paint if you aren't careful. They are the most comfortable and come with good armor included.
kjam68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 12:36 PM   #28
kjam68
Registered Member

The Draggin' Jeans and other breathable pants aren't as good as leather, but they are better than regular jeans at protecting your skin. Some of these posts make it sound like an all or nothing deal and thats not realistic. If you drive like a maniac on the streets ( in which case cars may be a bigger problem than proper attire) wear leathers. Otherwise, the options listed are viable. Let's not forget how many morons we all see riding with sleveless t-shirts and shorts on the highways every day.
Old 05-22-2004, 12:39 PM   #29
kjam68
Registered Member

The kevlar is pretty thick. In fact, these are downright hot to wear above 80 degrees. They actually do demos dragging a guy behind a truck on theie website.