Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-21-2004, 09:42 PM   #12
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default 405

I405 is all bad everywhere.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:02 AM   #13
GaryS
Founding Member

Default Re: Casual Protective Gear

I bought a pair of Draggin Jeans several years ago, still have them. I've worn them maybe 4 times. The fit of these jeans suck!! The waist of the pants is up to your belly button, the front pockets are way small and you can't get your hands in them. Unless the new "relaxed fit Draggins are different, I wouldn't buy another pair. MCN wrote an article about Draggin Jeans, they reported exactly what I have said about them. If anyone wants a pair of barely used Draggins, $50 bucks plus shipping and there yours. (size 38 waist)

About 4 months ago I bought a pair of Icon jeans, in blue. Although they don't offer as much protection as the Draggins, the Icons fit perfect, they are super comfortable, and do have the nice stretch vent inserts in them. They also have double material in the knees. The Icons are just plain good looking and comfortable. Worth every penny!!

GaryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:05 AM   #14
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I wear Dainese (Stelvio?) pants which are goretex and have a removable liner and knee armour. You can also open the zippers around the knees for a little extra venting. EBass couldn't stop telling me how nice my butt looked in them.

Those Hood jeans are mighty $$$ when you factor in the exchange rate. The Icon jeans look kind of cool. The draggin' jeans look like your momma sewed in some knee patches for you back in 5th grade.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 04:44 AM   #15
sarnali
Founding Member

I wear a JR Ballistic 4.0 jacket and pants combo if it's wet out, like from November to May, then armored leather pants and jacket the rest of the time.

I have to admit I've put more than a few miles on in jeans and a sweater when we get those blistering 75 degree summer days. I always wear boots and a helmet though

The only problem with the JR pants is the knee pads are long and narrow, while the pants are fairly baggy so chances are if you fall the knee pad isn't going to be in the right place to help you. They are waterproof though....That's why I like my leather pants, the knee pad wraps all the way from seam to seam and stays in place. On hot days things do get a little warm but I figure it's worth it most of the time, the rest of the time I just take my chances in jeans.
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 05:03 AM   #16
sportbike_pilot
Founding Member

Default Re: Yes, grasshopper...

He he.... thought you were talking about Ashley for a sec......

Damn -- of course you are right. Especially since I got me a couple of these too. There are just some events that are so awful that after a while you just learn to block them out.

Say master -- grasshopper is new to this whole motojournalism biz but aren't clothing models supposed to have bigger pecs than bellys??

curiously

sbp
sportbike_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 05:05 AM   #17
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Draggin' Jeans Fit

The standard draggin' jeans fit is very close to a pair of 501's except that they run about an inch smaller in the waist. I've been wearing a pair for a years or so now and am pretty happy with them. I have not yet crashed in them, but I'll update you on them if I do. I understand the need to be somewhat snug fitting to keep the kevlar in place, but even though they are an inch larger nominal size than my levi's, these jeans serve as my canary in the cave that I am starting to gain weight. They seem to hold up well to repeated washings. Oh, and the cut of the jeans makes my butt look fast.
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 06:05 AM   #18
scottlit
Founding Member

Default Re: Draggin' Jeans Fit

Do I dare ask what it means to look like you have a fast ass?
scottlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 07:06 AM   #19
bigjames
Premium Member

You know, a while back Englands MCN had a review of crash worthy clothing. One of the things they tested, with lots of failure was Kevlar based clothing, including Dragon (whatever) Jeans. After the tests they contacted the folks who make Kevlar (Dupont I believe) and they stated that kevlar was not designed for this use. Makes great drive belts though... Consequently, the jeans did not get a CE designation! Far as I know, they still don't and cannot be sold in Europe as protective clothing! Folks, there are lots of suits and real riding apparel out there. Spend the bucks and get on that fits and works!! Better yet, don't crash. I can tell you from mine back in January, crashing sucks, don't do it. I get the metal out of my knee in July. Still riding and will after the knee heals, after round 2 of surgery.

Bought a Fieldsheer Highland Suit to replace the suit (that was great for cold, but lousy for crash) that was cut off of me by the fine folks at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta (wht do they have to call it memorial?). Made of stuff designed to be scraaaape resistent and has body armor. No, I am not volunteering to test its crash worthiness, but will let all know if I inadvertently do...and how it did... If you want the protection, jeans ain't gonna do it, doesnt matter what they are ''fortified" with! We enjoy a wonderfully insanely dangerous sport. Either just accept that and deal with the consequences or spend the bucks and do what you have to do to protect yourself. Depending on the temperature (sorry, over 90 degrees, ther suit stays home. Have to balance heat stroke versus crash worthiness) I just accept it and ride....

Matter of fact, why am I sitting here writing this. There are 3 bikes waiting to be ridden, BYE....
bigjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2004, 08:18 AM   #20
scottlit
Founding Member

On that note, does anybody know anything good, bad, or indifferent about Alpinestars Air-Flo Mesh pants, particularly their crash worthiness? They've got what looks like a good deal on them on New Enough, and after sweating my ass off going to and from work on Thursday, I'm looking for any way I can to help shed heat.</p>
scottlit is offline   Reply With Quote