Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle News > Old News > MO Reader Feedback

Old 05-14-2004, 07:48 PM   #1
F451
Founding Member

Default Re: 2005 BMW R 1200 GS

The new Hex-head engine will prove to be one of BMW's motorcycle line up salvation. I couldn't think of a more fitting BMW model to launch this new engine; kudos to BMW for finally pumping some new life into their motorcycles.
F451 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 05-14-2004, 07:58 PM   #2
GSXRWolf
Founding Member

Nice bike, but expensive.
GSXRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:17 PM   #3
BMW4VWW
Founding Member

Finally BMW is heading in the right direction with their motorcycles. I have hung on to my trusty R100GS for 14 years simply because each new offering although technically superior was too heavy and cumbersome for the more difficult terrain that I like to explore. For many years BMW offered some of the lightest big bore motorcycles for public consumption. I'm glad to see that they are on the road back to where they started. VWW
BMW4VWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:01 PM   #4
KillerKowalski
Founding Member

Default Ahhh Beamer

I'm quite impressed with this bike. Had I the money, I might go for one. Money's not an object? I'd pick this bike out of the lot of tourer-adventurers.

Although, it could use 800 more CCs.
KillerKowalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:39 PM   #5
Nplateau
Founding Member

Default Re: P.S. Nice review Sean, Great pictures etc

99 Red Balloons biznatch!!!

I agree though. Great review, not so big thumbs up on the bike. I just can't get over the engine design. It makes me uncomfortable. Just one more thing to worry about. To worry aboot. Sorry, was watching a Briddish comedy. Aboot. One mo' time. Aboot.
Nplateau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:19 AM   #6
ikonoklass
Founding Member

Sean sure looks like a girl.
Old 05-15-2004, 05:56 AM   #7
Steve781
Founding Member

Default Some Details Please

Glad to see everything went well for MO this time. Nice work and nice pics. I would ask for some more details about the brakes and the engine feel. I'm not a GS type guy, but put this engine in an R1200R and it will be my next street bike. How are the brakes to use? Is it true you have almost no braking power with the engine off, say when walking the bike around the shop? How about that pothole in the power at 5K? Monster PITA or minor annoyance? And did you pick up any hints about which model gets the new engine next?
Steve781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:04 AM   #8
sarnali
Founding Member

I rode BMW's in the late 80's through 90's and really enjoyed them. After riding sportbikes for the last 10 years they were one of my first stops after deciding to get a sport-tourer, unfortunatly they had progressed in a direction I didn't want to go, and after losing a grand on an "error of judgement" I bought the bike I should have got in the first place.

The GS series has been one of their top sellers ever since it came out. For those interested it looks like this latest version is the best yet, and Seans right, a Tiger-Vstrom-1200GS comparo. is deffinately in order, though I can tell you which one I'd buy without reading it.

Of note is the software glitch with the trip computer, as I read Automobile Magazine as well as bike mags. one of the issues they've brought up with the BMW and Benzino's is their slavish devotion to electronic oneupmanship and the resultant technical glitches of increasingly complex electronic friperies. Looks like they're carrying over to the motorcycle line as well.

EFI and electronic ignitions are about as advanced as I want to get for my bikes. In my Luddite point of view the rest is just excess, fine for cars and airplanes-too much for bikes
sarnali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:03 AM   #9
ender
Founding Member

Default "Intuitive Turn Signals"

I think this might be the first time a mainstream pub had an article that DIDN'T complain about the turn signals. Must be a new sign of objectivity...
ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 08:05 AM   #10
pdad13
Founding Member

Hmm, definitely quirky, but not bad looking either.

Nice job, boys.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote